TalkRational Archive

TalkRational Archive (http://talkrational.org/archive//index.php)
-   The Rat Ring Formal Debate Forum (http://talkrational.org/archive//forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   SMS and Testy debate the Problem of evil (http://talkrational.org/archive//showthread.php?t=36471)

TestyCalibrate 03-06-2011 07:43 PM

SMS and Testy debate the Problem of evil

This debate will be over whether the PoE (Epicurus' formulation) is really a problem for theology. Testy will begin the debate and will affirm.

Length: 3-5 rounds. I'd say 4 with an opener, 2 arguments and a closer but whatever SMS wants is fine.

Word count: Not too many but no restrictions.

Timing: All posts must be posted within 2 days (not counting weekends) of the previous post.

I'll have an OP ready Mon., and SMS should too. I go first but both initial posts should be posted tomorrow to avoid forever happening during the debate.

Figuer 03-06-2011 08:28 PM

:awwgee:

Bartholomew Roberts 03-06-2011 08:47 PM

BWE vs SMS in a debate to the death

TestyCalibrate 03-06-2011 08:57 PM

to the pain.

Bartholomew Roberts 03-06-2011 08:58 PM

it's to the death. i'm going to hunt down and murder the loser in cold blood.

Bartholomew Roberts 03-06-2011 08:58 PM

eta maybe the winner too!

TestyCalibrate 03-06-2011 09:07 PM

Is that a threat? :)

Bartholomew Roberts 03-06-2011 09:25 PM

it's a Bart Rob guarantee!

TestyCalibrate 03-06-2011 09:34 PM

I might consider throwing the debate in order to lose then. Unless you promise to off the winner too.

Figuer 03-06-2011 10:13 PM

Why don't you open a thread called 'Problem of Evil' explain what you think of it, and let the discussion proceed from there, letting SMS particiapte as he pleases? He isn't going to make more sense in a debate, but probably much less.

Figuer 03-06-2011 10:31 PM

did it

TestyCalibrate 03-06-2011 10:43 PM

Damn u

Rathpig 03-07-2011 01:40 AM

I think this debate will be nifty. Likely verbose, boring, and definition defying - but nifty.

Jerome 03-07-2011 01:42 AM

I can't handle the truth..

Rathpig 03-07-2011 01:54 AM

:

()
I can't handle the truth..

Ah, but it can handle you.

Jerome 03-07-2011 02:02 AM

:happyno:

Rathpig 03-07-2011 04:39 AM

:snicker:

SMS 03-07-2011 07:18 AM

I dunno about this resolution. Evil is a problem, of course. I grapple with it as an existential problem daily. Whether it is logically incompatible with god is quite a different question.

I also don't have much of an op. My position is just that yours is unsuccessful, and I'll state why when I hear it.

Figuer 03-07-2011 12:12 PM

:

()
I dunno about this resolution. Evil is a problem, of course. I grapple with it as an existential problem daily. Whether it is logically incompatible with god is quite a different question.

No one is claiming it is logically incompatible with 'god', just with the notion of a 'wholly good god'.

SMS 03-07-2011 01:47 PM

Same reference, Figgy. Presume I speak of the omnigod.

Figuer 03-07-2011 01:57 PM

:

()
Same reference, Figgy. Presume I speak of the omnigod.

Brahman? The problem of evil applies not to it, since it isn't defined within anthropomorphic moral limits.

Such is the problem of the anthropomorphic deities, such as Zeus or Yaweh.

Rathpig 03-07-2011 02:17 PM

The omni-magnificent god must be accepted as intrinsically evil or neutered. Such is the nature of the problem of evil. Alvin Plantinga simply neutered his god, and then for some reason many theists accepted this as solving the problem. The only real solution to the problem is to recognize that gods are an anthropological construct of culture and nothing more. Rather than neutering god to maintain the superstition, remove the superstition and the problem dissolves.

Figuer 03-07-2011 02:44 PM

:

()
The omni-magnificent god must be accepted as intrinsically evil or neutered. Such is the nature of the problem of evil. Alvin Plantinga simply neutered his god, and then for some reason many theists accepted this as solving the problem.

Well, it would have solved the problem if both Plant and Christians accepted that theirs is by necessity a neutral god (and thus their mythological text incoherent). They didn't, and thus the problem remains.

:

The only real solution to the problem is to recognize that gods are an anthropological construct of culture and nothing more. Rather than neutering god to maintain the superstition, remove the superstition and the problem dissolves.
That would refer to the mythologies, the idea of gods is more complex than the label 'superstition'.

Rathpig 03-07-2011 02:59 PM

:

()
Well, it would have solved the problem if both Plant and Christians accepted that theirs is by necessity a neutral god (and thus their mythological text incoherent).

Being the all-creator combined with omni-magnificence requires that neutrality is impossible. To maintain neutrality, the status of all-creator must be removed. This god-construct can't knowingly create evil and claim neutrality.

ksen 03-07-2011 03:03 PM

What does omni-magnificent mean?

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04404 seconds
  • Memory Usage 3,193KB
  • Queries Executed 18 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo