Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational Archive > The Rat Ring > Rat Ring Proposals

Notices

Rat Ring Proposals Propose formal debates/discussions and discuss terms.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #2353248  /  #76
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
I can't see this amounting to much, given that playing the God card and/or the "yuk" card wont get you any traction here, and I can't really think of any other basis for objecting to SSM.
Well, if we can get this going, we'll see.
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #2353249  /  #77
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Pretty sure Texas Lynn is also still a Christian, so Lion can't play the god card too much.
Well, we'll see if that "You are not a Christian" shit comes out, otherwise known as the "No True Scotsman" argument.
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #2353284  /  #78
Lion IRC
Senior Member
 
Lion IRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,750
Lion IRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Pretty sure Texas Lynn is also still a Christian, so Lion can't play the god card too much.
Well, we'll see if that "You are not a Christian" shit comes out, otherwise known as the "No True Scotsman" argument.
OK
Now I'm DEFINITELY going to include an argument from divinity. I look forward to hearing a fellow biblical theist attempt to rebut it.
This is going to be a great debate.
Bring it!

Reciprocating posts. (Not simultaneous as Pingu suggested)
10 rounds. (1 Opening, 5 Substantive, 3 Q&A then 1 Closing)
Debate is forfeit by failure to adhere to 72 hour deadline commencing from the time of opponent's post in the thread once approved by the Mod.
Debate thread locked to non-participants.
No edits once post is approved/published by the Moderator.
Lion IRC is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #2353324  /  #79
osmanthus
Bent member
 
osmanthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,101
osmanthus
Default

1/ Prove God exists.

2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.

3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.

4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
Next, I don't know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is. But whatever it is, it hasn't stopped me from sucessfully supporting my points of view.
osmanthus is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 AM   #2353369  /  #80
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
1/ Prove God exists.

2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.

3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.

4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
-15 off topic
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #2353370  /  #81
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Pretty sure Texas Lynn is also still a Christian, so Lion can't play the god card too much.
Well, we'll see if that "You are not a Christian" shit comes out, otherwise known as the "No True Scotsman" argument.
OK
Now I'm DEFINITELY going to include an argument from divinity. I look forward to hearing a fellow biblical theist attempt to rebut it.
This is going to be a great debate.
Bring it!

Reciprocating posts. (Not simultaneous as Pingu suggested)
10 rounds. (1 Opening, 5 Substantive, 3 Q&A then 1 Closing)
Debate is forfeit by failure to adhere to 72 hour deadline commencing from the time of opponent's post in the thread once approved by the Mod.
Debate thread locked to non-participants.
No edits once post is approved/published by the Moderator.
bqhatever

"biblical theist" =/= theocrat
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #2353371  /  #82
Lion IRC
Senior Member
 
Lion IRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,750
Lion IRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
1/ Prove God exists.
I'm debating a Christian. I doubt that's going to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.
I'm making an argument about the existence of objective morality as it relates to SSM. I don't need to prove God said "it". All I need to show is that if you think God has a view about same-sex attraction and marriage, then His view is more relevant than that of Dan Savage or Texas Lynn or any moral relativist who says eat, drink and be merry because there ain't no afterlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.
I'm not worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
Hmmm. Is that a sore point with you?
Since the topic refers to the benefits of marriage ~ family ~ children ~ adoption, you can safely bet that I WILL be taking a look at the benefits of gender-balanced parenting.
Lion IRC is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #2353385  /  #83
AllRightMeow
Emoting Food
Mod: Politics and Current Affairs
 
AllRightMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,509
AllRightMeow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
1/ Prove God exists.

2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.

3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.

4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
-15 off topic
Wow. LionIRC has a good chance to make a tie out of this. You go boy.
__________________
Picking apples for the kings and queens of things I've never seen
AllRightMeow is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #2353394  /  #84
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
1/ Prove God exists.
I'm debating a Christian. I doubt that's going to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.
I'm making an argument about the existence of objective morality as it relates to SSM. I don't need to prove God said "it". All I need to show is that if you think God has a view about same-sex attraction and marriage, then His view is more relevant than that of Dan Savage or Texas Lynn or any moral relativist who says eat, drink and be merry because there ain't no afterlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.
I'm not worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
Hmmm. Is that a sore point with you?
Since the topic refers to the benefits of marriage ~ family ~ children ~ adoption, you can safely bet that I WILL be taking a look at the benefits of gender-balanced parenting.
Again, telegraphing punches. This ain't The Rumble in the Jungle.
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #2353395  /  #85
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRightMeow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
1/ Prove God exists.

2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.

3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.

4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
-15 off topic
Wow. LionIRC has a good chance to make a tie out of this. You go boy.
Save it for the peanut gallery.
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #2353397  /  #86
AllRightMeow
Emoting Food
Mod: Politics and Current Affairs
 
AllRightMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,509
AllRightMeow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRightMeow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
1/ Prove God exists.

2/ Prove God actually said what you claim he said.

3/ Then worry about whether or not this supports or does not support SSM.

4/ And FFS don't even think about mentioning breastfeeding.
-15 off topic
Wow. LionIRC has a good chance to make a tie out of this. You go boy.
Save it for the peanut gallery.
I'm pretty sure my observation belongs in a pre-debate thread, but I'll save the reason why for the peanut gallery.
__________________
Picking apples for the kings and queens of things I've never seen
AllRightMeow is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #2353402  /  #87
Lion IRC
Senior Member
 
Lion IRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,750
Lion IRC
Default

When do you envisage having your opening post up Texas Lynn?
Lion IRC is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #2353421  /  #88
Lion IRC
Senior Member
 
Lion IRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,750
Lion IRC
Default

Since the debate is about to commence, I wont be posting any further debate-related comments either here or in the Peanut Gallery thread (or elsewhere around the forum) until after the debate concludes.
Lion IRC is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #2353434  /  #89
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS
 
Pingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 60,846
Pingu
Default

I've made a new forum called Sequential Debates. Only Texas Lynn and Lion IRC (and staff) have posting access to it, although unless I've messed up, everyone else should be able to see it.

When you are ready, just start your debate thread in it - posts won't be held in moderation.
Pingu is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #2353661  /  #90
ksen
Unsullied
Master of Coin
 
ksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Eden
Posts: 39,793
ksen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRightMeow View Post
Just to verify, the "loser" of this debate will be banned forever. Correct ?
No.
Oh yes.

Two debaters enter, one debater leaves.
__________________
". . . organized greed always defeats disorganized democracy" - Matt Taibbi
ksen is offline   topbottom
Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #2353667  /  #91
osmanthus
Bent member
 
osmanthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,101
osmanthus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
I've made a new forum called Sequential Debates. Only Texas Lynn and Lion IRC (and staff) have posting access to it, although unless I've messed up, everyone else should be able to see it.
It's not visible until you log in. Dunno if that's how you wanted it or not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
Next, I don't know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is. But whatever it is, it hasn't stopped me from sucessfully supporting my points of view.
osmanthus is offline   topbottom
Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #2353768  /  #92
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
When do you envisage having your opening post up Texas Lynn?
Hopefully very soon
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #2353769  /  #93
Texas Lynn
Navy Mom and M-I-L
 
Texas Lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park Slope AKA Dyke Slope
Posts: 11,814
Texas Lynn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
Since the debate is about to commence, I wont be posting any further debate-related comments either here or in the Peanut Gallery thread (or elsewhere around the forum) until after the debate concludes.
Same
__________________
"The brutal logic of neoliberal financial capitalism strikes at the heart of the socialist revolution." Matthew Yglesias
Texas Lynn is offline   topbottom
Old 01-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #2479549  /  #94
Lion IRC
Senior Member
 
Lion IRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,750
Lion IRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lynn View Post
Dear Lion IRC:

I hereby challenge you to a debate upon the following proposition: "Same sex marriage
*sigh*
Lion IRC is offline   topbottom
 

  TalkRational Archive > The Rat Ring > Rat Ring Proposals

Tags
bsapist

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2018, TalkRational.org