Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > Guy Debord Memorial Forum

Notices

Guy Debord Memorial Forum The Society of the Spectacle (Recall threads go here)

View Poll Results: Recall BWE?
Yes 29 49.15%
No 30 50.85%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #331683  /  #26
dug_down_deep
bad trolls = good trolls
 
dug_down_deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Solipsia
Posts: 8,421
dug_down_deep
Default

In the other poll, every time someone votes it gets marked as new, and when you open it TySixtus is saying That also makes no sense. Every time a vote is registered. That's pretty funny.
__________________
I actually like posting at both boards and I don't see why your childish behavior has to fuck things up for everybody.-Pavlov's Dog
dug_down_deep is offline   topbottom
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #331696  /  #27
Notta_skeptic
Talk Rationatrix
 
Notta_skeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NE USA
Posts: 1,846
Notta_skeptic
Default

I'm posting this in here just to make people think there's a new post with something worthwhile in it.


Made you look!
Notta_skeptic is offline   topbottom
Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #331720  /  #28
SMS
I'm a Sexy and BadAss Catholic
 
SMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: blowmevillle
Posts: 10,351
SMS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notta_skeptic View Post
I'm posting this in here just to make people think there's a new post with something worthwhile in it.


Made you look!
I hate you.
__________________
Atheists are stupid.
SMS is offline   topbottom
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #332083  /  #29
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador
 
Pavlov's Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 25,454
Pavlov's Dog
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
I read the charter, and I have to say, I'm not sure you should bother. It doesn't seem to bear much relation to how things are actually done around here.
__________________
You can't fix what elephants do.


Any private messages sent to this member will not automatically be considered confidential.
Pavlov's Dog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #334041  /  #30
Goodchild
insert clever title here
 
Goodchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,500
Goodchild
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_philo View Post
What the hell else would you call it if members of a Republic's government can ignore its governing document without consequence?
The Bush Administration
__________________
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it
Goodchild is offline   topbottom
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #334176  /  #31
His Noodly Appendage
Chaotic good
 
His Noodly Appendage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cylon occupied paprika
Posts: 8,724
His Noodly Appendage
Default

If you don't violate the terms, it really doesn't matter a damn whether you know or agree with them. If your actions were in significant violation, I would vote yes.

But they're not, so I voted no.
__________________
Dysmorphia is a sucky cure for vanity.
His Noodly Appendage is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #334674  /  #32
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Noodly Appendage View Post
If you don't violate the terms, it really doesn't matter a damn whether you know or agree with them. If your actions were in significant violation, I would vote yes.

But they're not, so I voted no.
I guess that was my point. It's not hard to stay within them even if you don't know them. They're decency turned into a million words.

It's also not hard to figure out what's not decent.
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #334696  /  #33
chowdog
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
chowdog
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
It's also not hard to figure out what's not decent.
Would you count unfounded accusations of deception as a "decent" behavior?
chowdog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #334703  /  #34
th1nk3r
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
DeflectoBall Champion, European Football Clubs Champion
 
th1nk3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,492
th1nk3r
Default

for a member it's all fine and dandy to stay within the rules without knowing them. but how can a mod judge if others are abiding by the rules if he doesn't know the rules himself? unless he's making them up on the spot... oh wait
__________________
/
th1nk3r is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #334732  /  #35
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
It's also not hard to figure out what's not decent.
Would you count unfounded accusations of deception as a "decent" behavior?
Hmmm. It's a little tough to say without reviewing the specifics. That's the thing about it that makes the charter so unwieldy. I read it once. The reason I don't remember it is because it all follows or tries to follow basic guidelines of decency. Which, really, is my point there.

Unless you want to put every frinstance in it, there will always be a discretion area. And living in a system where every decision needs to be second guessed makes that impossible. That's why zones are impossible too.

And that's why admins moderate moderators who move posts that cross their own personal boundaries. There's just no good way around it. No charter will ever help that. When everyone moderates, only the extremes get heard.

__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #334741  /  #36
chowdog
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
chowdog
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
It's also not hard to figure out what's not decent.
Would you count unfounded accusations of deception as a "decent" behavior?
Hmmm. It's a little tough to say without reviewing the specifics.
But you just said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
It's also not hard to figure out what's not decent.
Is it or isn't it?
Quote:
That's the thing about it that makes the charter so unwieldy. I read it once. The reason I don't remember it is because it all follows or tries to follow basic guidelines of decency. Which, really, is my point there.

Unless you want to put every frinstance in it, there will always be a discretion area. And living in a system where every decision needs to be second guessed makes that impossible. That's why zones are impossible too.

And that's why admins moderate moderators who move posts that cross their own personal boundaries. There's just no good way around it. No charter will ever help that. When everyone moderates, only the extremes get heard.

Ok, I will give you a "frinstance."

I think you are a liar, and I have good reason to think so.

Of course, I do not have good reason to think so, but I have made the accusation nonetheless. Have I behaved decently?
chowdog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #334848  /  #37
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Would you count unfounded accusations of deception as a "decent" behavior?
Hmmm. It's a little tough to say without reviewing the specifics.
But you just said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
It's also not hard to figure out what's not decent.
Is it or isn't it?
Quote:
That's the thing about it that makes the charter so unwieldy. I read it once. The reason I don't remember it is because it all follows or tries to follow basic guidelines of decency. Which, really, is my point there.

Unless you want to put every frinstance in it, there will always be a discretion area. And living in a system where every decision needs to be second guessed makes that impossible. That's why zones are impossible too.

And that's why admins moderate moderators who move posts that cross their own personal boundaries. There's just no good way around it. No charter will ever help that. When everyone moderates, only the extremes get heard.

Ok, I will give you a "frinstance."

I think you are a liar, and I have good reason to think so.

Of course, I do not have good reason to think so, but I have made the accusation nonetheless. Have I behaved decently?

No. Er, yes but not in the frinstance. If you make the accusation and can back it up, that's discussion. If you can't, that's, in the vernacular, "asshattery". And in some cases it warrants a move to the 'asshattery but funny potentially forum" or the "Asshattery with too much meanness to go forward forum"

Is that good enough?
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #334854  /  #38
chowdog
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
chowdog
Default

Perhaps it is not always so easy to tell what is decent and what is not?
chowdog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #334868  /  #39
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Perhaps it is not always so easy to tell what is decent and what is not?
Your point there?
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #334877  /  #40
chowdog
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
chowdog
Default

Simply that perhaps one's personal compass of decency is not always the best tool for judging the behavior of others. Or indeed one's own. Nothing more.
chowdog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #334883  /  #41
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Simply that perhaps one's personal compass of decency is not always the best tool for judging the behavior of others. Or indeed one's own. Nothing more.
Mine's been pretty good so far. It's the best I can hope for.
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #334893  /  #42
chowdog
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
chowdog
Default

Do you think you could codify your personal compass of decency to be incorporated into the charter? You probably wouldn't even have to read the charter to do that. Perhaps it would improve moderation here. Or perhaps it would not.
chowdog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #334894  /  #43
ravenscape
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West
 
ravenscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norton's Empire
Posts: 81,531
ravenscape
Send a message via MSN to ravenscape
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Simply that perhaps one's personal compass of decency is not always the best tool for judging the behavior of others. Or indeed one's own. Nothing more.
I probably wouldn't phrase it as "best tool", but in any organization, including a message board, sometimes personal compass has to concede to community compass. If that's not workable, and sometimes it isn't, then the personal compass points to the exit door. This has happened to me more than once in the last year.
__________________
It's all good fun until somebody loses an eye.
ravenscape is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #334899  /  #44
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Which is the thing about this business. My personal compass is the one I use. If the charter fits it, then I'm your man. If it doesn't, well, then I'm not. Either way, it's fine.
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #334901  /  #45
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdog View Post
Do you think you could codify your personal compass of decency to be incorporated into the charter? You probably wouldn't even have to read the charter to do that. Perhaps it would improve moderation here. Or perhaps it would not.
There's a sort of an overview here.

Of course...
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #334917  /  #46
chowdog
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
chowdog
Default

Ah yes! I remember that rule. Except we called it "Don't be a jerk."
chowdog is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #334927  /  #47
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

semantics.
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #335012  /  #48
umop apisdn w,I
a.k.a. Dean Anderson
 
umop apisdn w,I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 4,370
umop apisdn w,I
Default

But important semantics.

I like beef jerky, but I'm not so hot on beef dicky.
__________________
I'm writing a new roguelike game - see my development blog for details...
umop apisdn w,I is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #335234  /  #49
Resident Troll
Suspended
 
Resident Troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 138
Resident Troll
Default

Voted yes because of habitual rudeness towards members, arrogance and hypocracy.

What goes around comes around.
Resident Troll is offline   topbottom
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #335250  /  #50
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!
 
Testy Calibrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The rainbow connection
Posts: 18,875
Testy Calibrate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Troll View Post
Voted yes because of habitual rudeness towards members, arrogance and hypocracy.

What goes around comes around.
Yes. Yes it does.
__________________
Someday we'll find it.
Testy Calibrate is offline   topbottom
 

  TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > Guy Debord Memorial Forum

Tags
damian loves stopper, gibbering jackanapes, shut up stopper, stopper, wombat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2018, TalkRational.org