Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Life Science Discussions

Notices

Life Science Discussions Biology, Natural History, etc.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #2653113  /  #151
VoxRat
Senior Member
 
VoxRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46,746
VoxRat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
And now he's banging on about "healthy fat", in a thread about classes vaccination for parents who want exemption from the vaccination requirements in Canadian public schools.

He is being SUCH a brat.
Well, it would be relevant if he were making a case that his (as yet unspecified) formula for "healthy fat" in one's diet provided some protection - specifically better protection than vaccination - against infectious diseases.

But I don't think he's embarked on any such organized argument. He's just throwing around vacuous Price Club slogans to distract from his inability to actually engage in this discussion.
__________________
" I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance.
And I won't say that often because I do have a bit of humility too.
" - Dave Hawkins
VoxRat is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #2653114  /  #152
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell
 
RAFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lori's Place.
Posts: 32,022
RAFH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxRat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
And now he's banging on about "healthy fat", in a thread about classes vaccination for parents who want exemption from the vaccination requirements in Canadian public schools.

He is being SUCH a brat.
Well, it would be relevant if he were making a case that his (as yet unspecified) formula for "healthy fat" in one's diet provided some protection - specifically better protection than vaccination - against infectious diseases.

But I don't think he's embarked on any such organized argument. He's just throwing around vacuous Price Club slogans to distract from his inability to actually engage in this any* discussion.
FIFY




*well, any discussion with another human who is not highly intoxicated or demonstrably unable to participate due to mental incapacity.
__________________
Invent the Future
RAFH is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #2653116  /  #153
JonF
Accoster of Tard
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,293
JonF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
So this is not just pie in the sky theoretical fluff.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. You have a "theory" that "natural immunisation" is effective against polio.

Quote:
It's real rubber meets the road knowledge.
No, it is the opposite. You have presented no empirical evidence ("rubber meets the road") to support your theory at all.
No it's not pie in the sky. There are (or were) many cultures all over the world living this way.
Except when they were dying at far greater rates than we do
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Poor scientists say things like "Piss off, Dave" when they are backed into a corner and they are too proud to admit it.
Quote:
Why do you waste the bandwidth to basically say "nuh uh"? Why don't you just use this post to explain yourself?
JonF is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #2653118  /  #154
madmardigan
I can handle this Eurotrash
FartBoy
 
madmardigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nakatomi plaza
Posts: 11,005
madmardigan
Default

It's amazing how a culture living completely in tune with nature like the Native Americans could be devastated by smallpox.

Guess they weren't living right. If only one Dave Hawkins were around to teach them how to live properly, maybe they would've been able to fend off smallpox.
__________________
madmardigan is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #2653119  /  #155
VoxRat
Senior Member
 
VoxRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 46,746
VoxRat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
So this is not just pie in the sky theoretical fluff.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. You have a "theory" that "natural immunisation" is effective against polio.

Quote:
It's real rubber meets the road knowledge.
No, it is the opposite. You have presented no empirical evidence ("rubber meets the road") to support your theory at all.
No it's not pie in the sky. There are (or were) many cultures all over the world living this way.
Except when they were dying at far greater rates than we do
Which was pretty much all the time.



Hey. That reminds me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Toby Hemenway claimed in his most recent talk that I posted a link to that hunter gatherer societies have always had greater longevity than agricultural societies until the 20th century when whizbang technology allowed the agricultural societies to artificially extend their life spans.

I will have to see if I can get ahold of those studies from him.
Another abandoned project?
Or maybe he got "ahold" of those studies, and they match the graph, above, and Hawkins thought the less said about it the better?

__________________
" I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance.
And I won't say that often because I do have a bit of humility too.
" - Dave Hawkins
VoxRat is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #2653120  /  #156
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS
 
Pingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 60,846
Pingu
Default

Dave is done. Stick a fork in him.
__________________
Join me at The Skeptical Zone
Pingu is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #2653124  /  #157
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell
 
RAFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lori's Place.
Posts: 32,022
RAFH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Dave is done. Stick a fork in him.
Nah, that would be mean. I'd prefer tickling him rather visciously for an extended time.
__________________
Invent the Future
RAFH is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #2653127  /  #158
Faid
just as bad
 
Faid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 22,052
Faid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmardigan View Post
It's amazing how a culture living completely in tune with nature like the Native Americans could be devastated by smallpox.

Guess they weren't living right. If only one Dave Hawkins were around to teach them how to live properly, maybe they would've been able to fend off smallpox.
I recently tried to get dave to tell me whether he thought Native Americans lived the "natural" way. He realized where I was going with it, and ignored my question.

Here's my guess: Dave is fully aware of all the flaws in his worldview. He is familiar with all the arguments that he has no response to, and he meticulously avoids them. See the latest example with Pingu's question.

No doubt, he thinks that there must be a good answer to all those things he cannot address, he just doesn't have one at the moment. Sure, he could look for one, but why bother? He knows we're wrong and he's right, therefore a good answer to all those arguments that show him wrong DOES exist out there. No point wasting time finding it- knowing it's there is enough for him. End of story.

That's why he thinks that his continuous evasion is not a sign of dishonesty.

It's a shame that he's wrong, and he's actually being dishonest- towards himself first of all.
__________________
Hi!

Last edited by Faid; 05-22-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Faid is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #2653128  /  #159
osmanthus
Bent member
 
osmanthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,101
osmanthus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
I don't believe my goats will ever be sick again… I know exactly why the one got sick one time and I'm not going to repeat those conditions… And I don't believe I will ever get sick again. I think I have finally achieved a "Weston Price" type diet. Now it would be nice to have some reductionist lab analysis to provide more support for this theory, but even without this I feel it is well supported.
Your belief is being bookmarked for future reference. Dave just rediscovered Biblical patriarch near-immortality, for humans and goats.
I didn't say my body will never get old and die. I said I won't get sick.
So what will you die of? Accident?

ETA: I suppose murder is another possibility.
Pingu is tempted.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
Next, I don't know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is. But whatever it is, it hasn't stopped me from sucessfully supporting my points of view.
osmanthus is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #2653129  /  #160
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS
 
Pingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 60,846
Pingu
Default

Well, I think it's interesting that now that his vanity thread is in TIH (and therefore not visible for outside linkers), he's lost interested in posting there. And thinks too much of himself as a "scientist" to lower his dignity by posting in ASS, even though he thinks he is doing alternative science.

So now he's just shitting up other threads with his random bullshit, and as usual not answering any probing question at all.

So there's not much point in even attempting to get him to engage - not that there ever was. It seems to me now utterly clear that he was always doing this to give the illusion to his potential gullible rubes that he could run rings round real octohatters.

If he can't do that, he won't bother to post, I don't expect.

ETA: especially to posts that reveal to him that he goofed.
__________________
Join me at The Skeptical Zone
Pingu is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #2653130  /  #161
osmanthus
Bent member
 
osmanthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,101
osmanthus
Default

Oh hey, we've known that for years. He's only witnessing, and always has been. He sees himself as a valiant Christian in the Colosseum, standing up to the lions and the mob.

(where octohatters are the lions, and the mob is any layperson even tenuously acquainted with reality)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
Next, I don't know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is. But whatever it is, it hasn't stopped me from sucessfully supporting my points of view.
osmanthus is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #2653131  /  #162
Seven Popes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,497
Seven Popes has disabled comments
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Well, I think it's interesting that now that his vanity thread is in TIH (and therefore not visible for outside linkers), he's lost interested in posting there. And thinks too much of himself as a "scientist" to lower his dignity by posting in ASS, even though he thinks he is doing alternative science.

So now he's just shitting up other threads with his random bullshit, and as usual not answering any probing question at all.

So there's not much point in even attempting to get him to engage - not that there ever was. It seems to me now utterly clear that he was always doing this to give the illusion to his potential gullible rubes that he could run rings round real octohatters.

If he can't do that, he won't bother to post, I don't expect.

ETA: especially to posts that reveal to him that he goofed.
I think that Dave deserves his own subforum, like ASS, but with tags enabled.

That way, when he starts threadShitting, we can shove that post into Dave's ASS.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
What, exactly, are you suggesting that I DO with the animals the other 23 1/2 hours per day? Medicate them? Feed them corn? Sit out in the field all day with a rifle and watch for coyotes? Maybe read the latest fiction novels to them? Bake cookies for them? Sing hymns to them? Give them haircuts? Give them baths? Braid their hair/feathers?

I need some suggestions here Investor Popes, Helper of the Homeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
It may take a couple years ... Teeth healing with diet isn't particularly fast ... In the mean time, I'm enjoying the freedom from pain and sensitivity ... And it's quite convenient to only brush once a week or so
Seven Popes is offline   topbottom
Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #2653133  /  #163
osmanthus
Bent member
 
osmanthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,101
osmanthus
Default

^^^ Top idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
Next, I don't know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is. But whatever it is, it hasn't stopped me from sucessfully supporting my points of view.
osmanthus is offline   topbottom
Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #2653178  /  #164
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS
 
Pingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 60,846
Pingu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
Oh hey, we've known that for years. He's only witnessing, and always has been. He sees himself as a valiant Christian in the Colosseum, standing up to the lions and the mob.

(where octohatters are the lions, and the mob is any layperson even tenuously acquainted with reality)
I don't think it's that.

I don't think he's particularly religious. I think what Dave believes in is Dave's Brilliance. Playing Simultaneous Chess with dozens of Octohatters on a Science Forum is the impression he's after creating. But that's no use to him if he can't link to it, and it be a Science Forum. He wasn't best pleased to find himself in HASH, but ASS would be beyond the pale and you can't link to TIH.

It's not for the pews, it's for the Potential Investors. And possibly for the Ladies.
__________________
Join me at The Skeptical Zone
Pingu is offline   topbottom
 

  TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Life Science Discussions

Tags
anti-vax tropes ftw, blithering idiocy, evidence is optional, fucking with any old knob, immortal goats, me moar sciency than u :p, no vaccine for stupid, power shitting, secret to immortality

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, TalkRational.org