Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > The Soap Opera

The Soap Opera Why The Fuck Was My Post Moved & Other Stories

09-01-2014, 01:33 AM   #2418422  /  #51
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

: Mar 2008
: UK
: 60,846
Pingu

:
:
So much for those saying that redacting the username was unnecessary.

:eyesrolling:
You're the dummy, btw. I wouldn't have known what <redacted> meant without you.
I realised you meant that. I think your view is dumb.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #2418423  /  #52
Luis Garcia
An example of commensalism

: Area 7
: 9,762
Luis Garcia

:
:
:
So much for those saying that redacting the username was unnecessary.

:eyesrolling:
You're the dummy, btw. I wouldn't have known what <redacted> meant without you.
I realised you meant that. I think your view is dumb.
Keep drawing attention to something you want kept quiet then, I guess.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #2418424  /  #53
TySixtus
Fucker!
Dungeon Master

: Rachacha NY
: 32,079
TySixtus

:
:
I saw the Bart-assigned pseudonym and couldn't make a normal name out of it. So I guess it was probably an obvious reference only for the people who already know the poster's name? In which case, I don't see how it could constitute revealing personal information.
I did that, too.

Thanks to the banning, I know who the user is and google tells me his real name.

Good work, dummies.
This attitude is dumb and entirely too self-satisfied. If we can't protect personal information on this board, or prevent people from hounding other people with dumb ass "I know your name!" type harassment, then the members (like you) should vote this crop of admins out and install people who you think would do the job better. Because obviously you think there is an easy way to do this that everyone else is apparently too dumb to figure out.

I don't agree with everything that Febble does, but I am pretty goddamn tired of this particular line of criticism as leveled at the admins. Yes, you stunning fucking genious, there is likely going to be no way to completely protect a member's privacy if someone like Bart is intent on toeing the line every time he gets bored. So, yes, redacting the name might actually act as an identifier. Everyone understands that, so feel free to shut the fuck up about it as if you're saying something revolutionary or worthwhile or intelligent.

Instead, maybe point that razor sharp brain of yours to the cause of all this nonsense, which is that a barely grown babby-man-child can't resist fucking with someone by playing chicken with the only set of principles that TR actually has and tries to adhere to. Picking on the admin team for this is fucking dumb. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Bart would just lay the fuck off. But he is incapable of it, so around and around we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDYAz5LFjc

Last edited by TySixtus; 09-01-2014 at 01:38 AM.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #2418425  /  #54
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

geez.

We have about one and a half rules that people actually care about at TR.

The one is not posting personal info (like NAMES). The half is harassment. It's only a half because just about the only form of harassment people really care about is posting people's personal info.

So if someone repeatedly does that, or posts spoofs of that info in ways that make it relatively easy to find that info out (and difficult to redact on a search), then in both cases it's harassment, it's a deliberate, unwanted and repeated targeting of another member for no other reason than to bug them and cause them anxiety.

There is absolutely no fucking point about having rules on a board unless adherence to those rules is a condition of posting on the fucking board. If people want a board in which their personal info is protected AND a board in which everything is done in public and anyone banned has right of appeal THEN for fucks sake don't bandy about people's personal info when you are discussing someone being banned for bandying about someone's personal info.

dummies.

Last edited by Pingu; 09-01-2014 at 01:48 AM. : quoted the wrong post.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #2418427  /  #55
rednoise
Death hilarious

: Nordic Imperium
: 24,353
rednoise

:
The one is not posting personal info (like NAMES).
No one did this.

:
The other is harassment.
It's entirely debatable that this happened. So much so that the suspension was unwarranted.

:
or posts spoofs of that info in ways that make it relatively easy to find that info out (and difficult to redact on a search)
<redacted>'s info wasn't easily made to find out, you idiot.
How in the hell can a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?

Last edited by Pingu; 09-01-2014 at 01:49 AM.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #2418428  /  #56
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

rednoise: stop posting the username of the person being harassed. Maybe you don't care about people finding out other people's RL names but other people do. And as should be bloody obvious by now, posting the username of the person in question will help people find their RL name.

So fucking stop.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #2418429  /  #57
Luis Garcia

Luis Garcia

:
geez.

We have about one and a half rules that people actually care about at TR.

The one is not posting personal info (like NAMES). The other is harassment. It's only a half because just about the only form of harassment people really care about is posting people's personal info.

So if someone repeatedly does that, or posts spoofs of that info in ways that make it relatively easy to find that info out (and difficult to redact on a search), then in both cases it's harassment, it's a deliberate, unwanted and repeated targeting of another member for no other reason than to bug them and cause them anxiety.

There is absolutely no fucking point about having rules on a board unless adherence to those rules is a condition of posting on the fucking board. If people want a board in which their personal info is protected AND a board in which everything is done in public and anyone banned has right of appeal THEN for fucks sake don't bandy about people's personal info when you are discussing someone being banned for bandying about someone's personal info.

dummies.
Fine but we're telling you that because of the way you have handled this / handle these things / have to handle these things because of the charter or w/e more people now know than did before. Stop doing this stupid thing in this stupid way.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #2418430  /  #58
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

In my view a non-stupid way to handle this does not exist at TR. This seems the least stupid to me, and if other people weren't so fucking dumb it wouldn't even be all that stupid.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #2418432  /  #59
Luis Garcia

Luis Garcia

:
In my view a non-stupid way to handle this does not exist at TR.
You might be right

:
This seems the least stupid to me,

you might be right

:
and if other people weren't so fucking dumb it wouldn't even be all that stupid.
you're wrong
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #2418433  /  #60
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

:
In my view a non-stupid way to handle this does not exist at TR. This seems the least stupid to me, and if other people weren't so fucking dumb it wouldn't even be all that stupid.
Maybe you should resign and go to Pendarica.
How in the hell can a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:00 AM   #2418434  /  #61
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #2418435  /  #62
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

:
"No one did this". Wrong. This spouting off about stuff you're sure about, but are dead wrong about... it's something you do a lot. You might want to think about that.
hey, why don't you come participate in the thread that involves you, voxrat.

Bart didn't post your name or rl info. not in this instance that he was suspended for.

Last edited by rednoise; 09-01-2014 at 03:14 AM.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:06 AM   #2418437  /  #63
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

rednoise, fuck off.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #2418438  /  #64
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

this thread involves a situation with voxrat. mentioning this doesn't break any rules, you overzealous shithead.

Last edited by rednoise; 09-01-2014 at 03:14 AM. : fuck you febble
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #2418439  /  #65
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

:
this thread involves a situation with <redacted>. mentioning this doesn't break any rules, you overzealous shithead.
In this context it just about does - two of them.
But quite apart from that it breaks a pretty basic rule of human decency.

The situation can be perfectly well discussed without posting the name of the member being harassed.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #2418440  /  #66
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

:
In this context it just about does - two of them.
no, it doesn't. voxrat is germane to the discussion. it does not break any rules, in any way, to discuss him in this context.

:
But quite apart from that it breaks a pretty basic rule of human decency.
nope! voxrat's privacy isn't in anyway being violated by mentioning his username.

Last edited by rednoise; 09-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #2418441  /  #67
TySixtus
Fucker!
Dungeon Master

: Rachacha NY
: 32,079
TySixtus

Febble, you might as well stop redacting. Certain people are determined to be shits, you can't redact them all. Just let the chips fall during the appeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDYAz5LFjc
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #2418442  /  #68
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Obviously it is, dummy.

Every time you post that member's username you make it possible for someone who does not yet know it to find it out, thanks to Bart, and now thanks to info you posted.

And if we have to give the identifying info of any member who wants their anonymity protected at TR in the case that someone violates it in order to adequately "discuss" the case, then what the fucking point is there in our commitment to protect member's anonymity?

You ever read Kafka? Joseph Heller?
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #2418443  /  #69
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

:
Febble, you might as well stop redacting. Certain people are determined to be shits, you can't redact them all. Just let the chips fall during the appeal.
Well, I need to go to bed anyway.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #2418447  /  #70
Quizalufagus
Betraytheist

: 8,234
Quizalufagus

:
:
Actually, he did, a while back. That's what his last suspension was for; posting the real name of the poster in question. Since he came back, he's repeatedly prodded the same poster, dropping hints about the same name. That's harrassment. Whether or not the hints he dropped were strong enough to constitute personal info is a separate question, though I'd say they very much were.
Okay. That's not this time. Bart didn't post anyone's irl info this time. What he did last time has no bearing on his current suspension.
He was suspended this time for continuing the pattern of behavior he was suspended for last time, ffs. What he did last time has a huge bearing on this.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #2418448  /  #71
Deadlokd

: May 2008
: 4,436
Deadlokd

:
:
How would you have dealt with it genious?
I bet you don't know one end of a gene from another...
... At what end is the poly-adenine tail?
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #2418449  /  #72
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

:
Obviously it is, dummy.

Every time you post that member's username you make it possible for someone who does not yet know it to find it out, thanks to Bart, and now thanks to info you posted.
Anyone who happens to google <redacted>'s username is going to find this information. I don't know if you knew, but Google isn't a super secret website that just a few people know about.

:
And if we have to give the identifying info of any member who wants their anonymity protected at TR in the case that someone violates it in order to adequately "discuss" the case, then what the fucking point is there in our commitment to protect member's anonymity?
No one gave any identifying information, except, maybe, <redacted>himself. Even still, no one posted his irl information on these forums.

Last edited by Pingu; 09-01-2014 at 07:04 AM.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #2418450  /  #73
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

:
:
:
How would you have dealt with it genious?
Considering Bart gave no personal information out in this instance, nothing. Genius.
  topbottom
09-01-2014, 02:30 AM   #2418451  /  #74
borealis
cruel but fair
Admin

: Oct 2008
: Canada
: 27,030
borealis

:
this thread involves a situation with <redacted>. mentioning this doesn't break any rules, you overzealous shithead.
Afaics, your main solution is to call pingu shitty names. Start a recall if you think she's the wrong person for the job.

As for Bart, he's harassing someone he doesn't like just because he can, like he always ends up doing. Then he gets a huge pile of attention out of it when someone finally calls him on it.
09-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #2418452  /  #75
rednoise
Death hilarious

rednoise

:
:
:
Actually, he did, a while back. That's what his last suspension was for; posting the real name of the poster in question. Since he came back, he's repeatedly prodded the same poster, dropping hints about the same name. That's harrassment. Whether or not the hints he dropped were strong enough to constitute personal info is a separate question, though I'd say they very much were.
Okay. That's not this time. Bart didn't post anyone's irl info this time. What he did last time has no bearing on his current suspension.
He was suspended this time for continuing the pattern of behavior he was suspended for last time, ffs. What he did last time has a huge bearing on this.
Last time it sounds like he was suspended for actually posting <redacted>'s personal info. Bart didn't do that this time.

Last edited by Pingu; 09-01-2014 at 07:03 AM.
  topbottom

TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > The Soap Opera

ban febble, bar association, bart, bart a voxrat molestor, bart bart, bart bart bart, bart bart bart bart, bart bart bart bart bart, bart for admin, bart for ban, bart rational, bort, damian is short lol, dementia dog, dox, explodingpanda, gandalf pwnz this gay f4m, have a ♥ vote 4 bart, i ♥ bart, jesus christ this thread, lawyer jokes, melts down = 2 words, pandaexplodes, pavlov's dog=blowhard esq, pay attention to bart, process of leaving tr, rednoise meltsdown, redundant roberts, shut up stopper, stopper, thread about bart, thread about voxrat, tr meltsdown, trauma, unnerving presence, voxrat, we are all stopper, you're stopper

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.18925 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,402KB
  • Queries Executed 69 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below