Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > The Rat Ring > Rat Ring Proposals

Rat Ring Proposals Propose formal debates/discussions and discuss terms.

08-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #1515319  /  #1
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

: Mar 2008
: 44,650
Bartholomew Roberts
What should recursive prophet and I debate?

I don't really know but a have a few ideas.

- it's a nice day outside
- everyone on tr should be killed in cold blood
- man is evil
- Bart for admin
- windcarts are dumb

Anyone else have a topic they'd like to see us debate?
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #1515322  /  #2
Taygete
GRAND DUCHESS OF DOE-ANTLERS
Stickman Mountainboard Champion, Troops Tower Defense 2 Champion Mod: Intros

: Jul 2008
: Toronto
: 13,024
Taygete

Who would win in a fight between you and various other posters
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #1515333  /  #3
Preno
TRIGGER WARNING
Resident Overlord

: 10,991
Preno

librarian ethics
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #1515576  /  #4
Sugriva

: Sep 2008
: L.A.
: 10,615
Sugriva

Dan Barker and cannibalism.
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #1515597  /  #5
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

: Dec 2010
: 26,430
buttershug

debate many things
shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings.

Robert Anton Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YQ24i1wP0
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #1515672  /  #6
recursive prophet
Recursions Analyst

: Apr 2009
: Palomar Mountain hills near Escondido, Ca enjoying retirement and laughing at angry fools online.
: 4,424
recursive prophet

From that list I'll take 'wind carts are dumb' for $500 Barto. But what I really want to debate is why I believe Sidhe's original suspension was unjustified in context with how the rules are actually applied at TR. Any takers should PM me your Skype nick and give me a time. I'm at GMT-8 hours. Or, we could do it here. I would particularly like to do this with preno, who I want to thank personally for bringing Sid to TR. Without his efforts I would never have realized just how versatile the guy I knew from RatSkep as Edward Teach truly was. But I see he has already feigned being above debating it, which is exactly the kind of chickenshit response I expected. I just love the smell of fear that ensues when bullies are challenged.

Someone mentioned on the peanuts thread how Rathpig was never around when Sid started posting. I find it amusing that nobody else has even speculated that he may have mole puppets-makes mental note to add this term to UD-long established here with a very different kind of profile. Heh, he could even be posting drunk as preno.

Along this line of thought, below is a post Sidhe made at RS on the cart thread. I checked him out soon after this was posted, and would have never dreamed he was the guy who was responsible for the earlier Splitzkreig attack here at TR. Watch out who you PM among the lulz brigade; he may have infiltrated your ranks.

:
There's only one thing that would shut everyone up about this train wreck argument. Validation from a Journal and or the science community. Outside of that although the current verification is one form of peer review. It is but the first step to acceptance in science at least, now they need to publish. The experimental phase is complete and the peer review there of. Now comes the more rigorous standards that are required for publication and or introduction into the mainstream.

Seems to me instead of creating infinite threads on infinite forums they could end the debate once and for all simply by putting this beyond reasonable doubt.

Which kind of makes me think this is not what these people are after.

So sadly I have to keep reading about this like some shameless ubiquitous advertising campaign when I really should have better things to do.

Humber has some valid contentions about the finer points and details that would if anyone who was interested in being scientific be easy to clear up once and for all. Sadly though this isn't about science any more and probably never was. It's about getting an idea out there, the science is superfluous to that.

This is kind of like aerodynamics in general: there are several theories why things fly and of course why they do not, and believe it or not, the Devil is in the details.
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #1515674  /  #7
Jerome
Life is but a bowl of cherries

: Sep 2009
: Pleasant Living
: 38,755
Jerome

Jerome's contributions to the internets.

It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong.
-Richard Feynman, Nobel laureate in Physics, 1965
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #1515675  /  #8
Jerome
Life is but a bowl of cherries

: Sep 2009
: Pleasant Living
: 38,755
Jerome

or

Bart for admin

It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong.
-Richard Feynman, Nobel laureate in Physics, 1965
  topbottom
08-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #1515689  /  #9
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

buttershug

But that post starts off wrong.
Validation would not shut anyone up.

And as far as Humber goes, he couldn't even understand that B approaches A at the same speed that A approaches B. I stopped talking to him at that point.

There was another guy arguing with Spork. I was explaining something to him but then had a "wait a minute" moment. But I didn't want to even appear to be on the same "side" as Humber. Maybe Spork is right but I do believe that he has flaws.

Sid He would be as great as you say if would go a few steps further.

There are people I swear answer "a" in life's multiple choice questions.
Blackbeard isn't like that but it's like he answers "b" all the time, which is as bad.

I think he might be able to understand that in a lot of situations, the most likely answer is most likely not the answer.
A lot of the sweater around the neck crowd here would probably write that statement off as inanity and not worth discussing.
I think Sidhe is capable of understanding it.

And it's as if he thinks In the land of the blind he who has heard of eyes is king.

Robert Anton Wilson
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #1515719  /  #10
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned

Bartholomew Roberts

:
From that list I'll take 'wind carts are dumb' for $500 Barto.
Well I guess that's ok but

I wanted to let everyone else choose. I didn't consider my list to be the be-all-end-all of options, just something to get us started. Personally I am surprised you can't let that cart go for a few minutes, but I guess I shouldn't be.

Honestly I'd really like our discussion to be about this issue.

:
Dan Barker and cannibalism.
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #1515720  /  #11
nostrum
just words

: Nov 2009
: 5,987
nostrum

:
- windcarts are dumb
yabut what's to debate about that?
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #1515734  /  #12
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

: Jun 2009
: Location: Location:
: 17,076
Autonemesis

The solution to the Poincare conjecture.
08-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #1515962  /  #13
ravenok
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

: Norton's Empire
: 81,531
ravenok

:
From that list I'll take 'wind carts are dumb' for $500 Barto. But what I really want to debate is why I believe Sidhe's original suspension was unjustified in context with how the rules are actually applied at TR. Any takers should PM me your Skype nick and give me a time. I'm at GMT-8 hours. Or, we could do it here. I would particularly like to do this with preno, who I want to thank personally for bringing Sid to TR. Without his efforts I would never have realized just how versatile the guy I knew from RatSkep as Edward Teach truly was. But I see he has already feigned being above debating it, which is exactly the kind of chickenshit response I expected. I just love the smell of fear that ensues when bullies are challenged.

Someone mentioned on the peanuts thread how Rathpig was never around when Sid started posting. I find it amusing that nobody else has even speculated that he may have mole puppets-makes mental note to add this term to UD-long established here with a very different kind of profile. Heh, he could even be posting drunk as preno.

Along this line of thought, below is a post Sidhe made at RS on the cart thread. I checked him out soon after this was posted, and would have never dreamed he was the guy who was responsible for the earlier Splitzkreig attack here at TR. Watch out who you PM among the lulz brigade; he may have infiltrated your ranks.

:
There's only one thing that would shut everyone up about this train wreck argument. Validation from a Journal and or the science community. Outside of that although the current verification is one form of peer review. It is but the first step to acceptance in science at least, now they need to publish. The experimental phase is complete and the peer review there of. Now comes the more rigorous standards that are required for publication and or introduction into the mainstream.

Seems to me instead of creating infinite threads on infinite forums they could end the debate once and for all simply by putting this beyond reasonable doubt.

So sadly I have to keep reading about this like some shameless ubiquitous advertising campaign when I really should have better things to do.

Humber has some valid contentions about the finer points and details that would if anyone who was interested in being scientific be easy to clear up once and for all. Sadly though this isn't about science any more and probably never was. It's about getting an idea out there, the science is superfluous to that.

This is kind of like aerodynamics in general: there are several theories why things fly and of course why they do not, and believe it or not, the Devil is in the details.
he made many of the same points in the TR cart thread as Sidhe848.
08-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #1516039  /  #14
cakemaker

: Sep 2010
: 1,156
cakemaker

:
I don't really know but a have a few ideas.

- everyone on tr should be killed in cold blood
- man is evil
- Bart for admin
- windcarts are dumb

Anyone else have a topic they'd like to see us debate?

Whither solipsism.
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #1516041  /  #15
Dirtyrat
self-banned

: Jan 2011
: Skyborad
: 1,386
Dirtyrat

Either my Rising Dragon or your mum.

No seriously I don't think Bart has the knowledge to compete with RP, and hence the contest will be one sided unless it's about hello kitty or Play Station 3 games. Or perhaps prank calls/stalking people. Or maybe knots?
08-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #1516042  /  #16
Dirtyrat
self-banned

Dirtyrat

:
:

:

he made many of the same points in the TR cart thread as Sidhe848.
Yeah he was right then too.

Some people never learn though. And no I would never join any club that would have me as a member, and the Lulz brigade are Down's Clowns so...

ETA: who the hell is Rathpig, seriously just ask Ravenscape to stalk my IP and then if it's the same as his you'll know. Pretty sure she gets off on IP snooping people so I suspect she will be delighted to stalk me again.

Last edited by Dirtyrat; 08-28-2011 at 09:26 AM.
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #1516084  /  #17
Requiem
Dubstyle.

: Mar 2009
: i forget
: 23,616
Requiem

:
Do you have any idea how fucking barmy this sounds?

Seriously, I realise it probably sounds really dark and threatening in your head, but from here it's obvious childish and weak grasping for discursive authority.
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #1516096  /  #18
Dirtyrat
self-banned

Dirtyrat

:
:

Seriously, I realise it probably sounds really dark and threatening in your head, but from here it's obvious childish and weak grasping for discursive authority.
The authority is corrupt.

Someone once said to me that you shouldn't rock the boat, I replied when the boat is sinking what's the harm in rocking the boat?

True story, it was just before I became a Pirate.

You're right though I am not Rathpig and neither am I part of The Clown Brigade. Also Preno couldn't lead a fish to water and even the lulz retards can't stand him, it was actually the friends of links that lead me to these forums. But meh... On the whole RP is usually pretty spot on.

:
I just love the smell of fear that ensues when bullies are challenged.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning, gotta go with what you love.

Last edited by Dirtyrat; 08-28-2011 at 01:24 PM.
  topbottom
08-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #1516397  /  #19
recursive prophet
Recursions Analyst

: Palomar Mountain hills near Escondido, Ca enjoying retirement and laughing at angry fools online.
recursive prophet

:

You mean it didn't scare you Ollie? Damn! And here I thought discursive authority was within my grasp. <[just to be sure you get it. Hello?]

What happened to happy Ollie? Think mole puppets don't exist? Wanna argue that Sidhe's suspension the first time around was warranted?Or the current one? Heh, we could do a Skype debate. Better have a good definition for shit-post Ol, and how you will quantify them in deeming say Ty as a shit-poster. What percentage of their posts would be required to brand them as such? Or is it assumptive turtles all the way down? A 'we all know it when we see it' kind of thing?

@Raven: Yeah, some of the points made were similar, but his style was quite different at RS. And now he has again been suspended without violating even one of the wink-wink written rules?

You have to admit it was yet another creative curve ball DR threw at you today. I do sympathize with your needing to take action on this, but could you not just reset his password and give him the new one in a PM? Along with a warning not to do it again?

Let me take this opportunity to commend you on your struggle to be both objective and fair dealing with the challenge Sid brings in his luggage. Do consider that most of his replies I've seen are out of bounds at TR only by virtue of their quantity. You've addressed this issue with your limit, so I sure hope his posting ability can soon be restored.
  topbottom
08-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #1516598  /  #20
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned

Bartholomew Roberts

Well recursive prophet, we have a lot of topics here.

I was thinking, instead of a formal debate, why don't we have an informal discussion? We will be able to take on many more issues that way.

So what do you say? You in?
  topbottom
08-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #1516626  /  #21
buttershug
Hung

buttershug

:

I was thinking, instead of a formal debate, why don't we have an informal discussion? We will be able to take on many more issues that way.

If you choose my topics you can dine on oysters after. fat ones.

Robert Anton Wilson
  topbottom
08-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #1516826  /  #22
ericv00
DAG 0011
Chopper Challenge Champion, Dogfight Alpha Champion, Planet Chaos Champion

: Jan 2010
: by the beards of antiquity
: 5,047
ericv00

:
- Bart for admin
These would be my two choices.
08-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #1516866  /  #23
recursive prophet
Recursions Analyst

recursive prophet

:

Well, I'm so far out I might as well be in. I'll just follow your lead.

Bart for admin!! :drunk
  topbottom
08-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #1516872  /  #24
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned

Bartholomew Roberts

Awesome. I am free Wednesday afternoon but last week I slept at that time. I might not be up for it. Saturday after fencing I might be good though.
  topbottom
08-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #1518061  /  #25
Steviepinhead

: Seattle, WA
: 36,673
Steviepinhead

Bart, don't be so hard on yourself. You're good all the time, not just after fencing.
  topbottom

TalkRational Archive > The Rat Ring > Rat Ring Proposals

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.21777 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,694KB
  • Queries Executed 77 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end