Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Life Science Discussions

Life Science Discussions Biology, Natural History, etc.

05-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #2653113  /  #151
VoxRat

: Mar 2008
: 46,746
VoxRat

:
And now he's banging on about "healthy fat", in a thread about classes vaccination for parents who want exemption from the vaccination requirements in Canadian public schools.

He is being SUCH a brat.
Well, it would be relevant if he were making a case that his (as yet unspecified) formula for "healthy fat" in one's diet provided some protection - specifically better protection than vaccination - against infectious diseases.

But I don't think he's embarked on any such organized argument. He's just throwing around vacuous Price Club slogans to distract from his inability to actually engage in this discussion.
  topbottom
05-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #2653114  /  #152
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell

: Lori's Place.
: 32,022
RAFH

:
:
And now he's banging on about "healthy fat", in a thread about classes vaccination for parents who want exemption from the vaccination requirements in Canadian public schools.

He is being SUCH a brat.
Well, it would be relevant if he were making a case that his (as yet unspecified) formula for "healthy fat" in one's diet provided some protection - specifically better protection than vaccination - against infectious diseases.

But I don't think he's embarked on any such organized argument. He's just throwing around vacuous Price Club slogans to distract from his inability to actually engage in this any* discussion.
FIFY

*well, any discussion with another human who is not highly intoxicated or demonstrably unable to participate due to mental incapacity.
05-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #2653116  /  #153
JonF
Accoster of Tard

: 6,293
JonF

:
:
:
So this is not just pie in the sky theoretical fluff.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. You have a "theory" that "natural immunisation" is effective against polio.

:
It's real rubber meets the road knowledge.
No, it is the opposite. You have presented no empirical evidence ("rubber meets the road") to support your theory at all.
No it's not pie in the sky. There are (or were) many cultures all over the world living this way.
Except when they were dying at far greater rates than we do
Quote:
Why do you waste the bandwidth to basically say "nuh uh"? Why don't you just use this post to explain yourself?
  topbottom
05-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #2653118  /  #154
madmardigan
I can handle this Eurotrash
FartBoy

: Nov 2008
: nakatomi plaza
: 11,005
madmardigan

It's amazing how a culture living completely in tune with nature like the Native Americans could be devastated by smallpox.

Guess they weren't living right. If only one Dave Hawkins were around to teach them how to live properly, maybe they would've been able to fend off smallpox.
05-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #2653119  /  #155
VoxRat

: 46,746
VoxRat

:
:
:
:
So this is not just pie in the sky theoretical fluff.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. You have a "theory" that "natural immunisation" is effective against polio.

:
It's real rubber meets the road knowledge.
No, it is the opposite. You have presented no empirical evidence ("rubber meets the road") to support your theory at all.
No it's not pie in the sky. There are (or were) many cultures all over the world living this way.
Except when they were dying at far greater rates than we do
Which was pretty much all the time.

Hey. That reminds me...
:
Toby Hemenway claimed in his most recent talk that I posted a link to that hunter gatherer societies have always had greater longevity than agricultural societies until the 20th century when whizbang technology allowed the agricultural societies to artificially extend their life spans.

I will have to see if I can get ahold of those studies from him.
Another abandoned project?
Or maybe he got "ahold" of those studies, and they match the graph, above, and Hawkins thought the less said about it the better?

topbottom
05-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #2653120  /  #156
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

: UK
: 60,846
Pingu

Dave is done. Stick a fork in him.
05-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #2653124  /  #157
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell

: Lori's Place.
: 32,022
RAFH

:
Dave is done. Stick a fork in him.
Nah, that would be mean. I'd prefer tickling him rather visciously for an extended time.
05-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #2653127  /  #158
Faid
just as bad

: 22,052
Faid

:
It's amazing how a culture living completely in tune with nature like the Native Americans could be devastated by smallpox.

Guess they weren't living right. If only one Dave Hawkins were around to teach them how to live properly, maybe they would've been able to fend off smallpox.
I recently tried to get dave to tell me whether he thought Native Americans lived the "natural" way. He realized where I was going with it, and ignored my question.

Here's my guess: Dave is fully aware of all the flaws in his worldview. He is familiar with all the arguments that he has no response to, and he meticulously avoids them. See the latest example with Pingu's question.

No doubt, he thinks that there must be a good answer to all those things he cannot address, he just doesn't have one at the moment. Sure, he could look for one, but why bother? He knows we're wrong and he's right, therefore a good answer to all those arguments that show him wrong DOES exist out there. No point wasting time finding it- knowing it's there is enough for him. End of story.

That's why he thinks that his continuous evasion is not a sign of dishonesty.

It's a shame that he's wrong, and he's actually being dishonest- towards himself first of all.

Last edited by Faid; 05-22-2016 at 10:10 PM.
  topbottom
05-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #2653128  /  #159
osmanthus
Bent member

: Jun 2008
: Australia
: 7,101
osmanthus

:
:
:
:
I don't believe my goats will ever be sick again… I know exactly why the one got sick one time and I'm not going to repeat those conditions… And I don't believe I will ever get sick again. I think I have finally achieved a "Weston Price" type diet. Now it would be nice to have some reductionist lab analysis to provide more support for this theory, but even without this I feel it is well supported.
Your belief is being bookmarked for future reference. Dave just rediscovered Biblical patriarch near-immortality, for humans and goats.
I didn't say my body will never get old and die. I said I won't get sick.
So what will you die of? Accident?

ETA: I suppose murder is another possibility.
Pingu is tempted.
  topbottom
05-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #2653129  /  #160
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Well, I think it's interesting that now that his vanity thread is in TIH (and therefore not visible for outside linkers), he's lost interested in posting there. And thinks too much of himself as a "scientist" to lower his dignity by posting in ASS, even though he thinks he is doing alternative science.

So now he's just shitting up other threads with his random bullshit, and as usual not answering any probing question at all.

So there's not much point in even attempting to get him to engage - not that there ever was. It seems to me now utterly clear that he was always doing this to give the illusion to his potential gullible rubes that he could run rings round real octohatters.

If he can't do that, he won't bother to post, I don't expect.

ETA: especially to posts that reveal to him that he goofed.
05-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #2653130  /  #161
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

Oh hey, we've known that for years. He's only witnessing, and always has been. He sees himself as a valiant Christian in the Colosseum, standing up to the lions and the mob.

(where octohatters are the lions, and the mob is any layperson even tenuously acquainted with reality)
  topbottom
05-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #2653131  /  #162
Seven Popes

: 1,497
Seven Popes

:
Well, I think it's interesting that now that his vanity thread is in TIH (and therefore not visible for outside linkers), he's lost interested in posting there. And thinks too much of himself as a "scientist" to lower his dignity by posting in ASS, even though he thinks he is doing alternative science.

So now he's just shitting up other threads with his random bullshit, and as usual not answering any probing question at all.

So there's not much point in even attempting to get him to engage - not that there ever was. It seems to me now utterly clear that he was always doing this to give the illusion to his potential gullible rubes that he could run rings round real octohatters.

If he can't do that, he won't bother to post, I don't expect.

ETA: especially to posts that reveal to him that he goofed.
I think that Dave deserves his own subforum, like ASS, but with tags enabled.

That way, when he starts threadShitting, we can shove that post into Dave's ASS.
What, exactly, are you suggesting that I DO with the animals the other 23 1/2 hours per day? Medicate them? Feed them corn? Sit out in the field all day with a rifle and watch for coyotes? Maybe read the latest fiction novels to them? Bake cookies for them? Sing hymns to them? Give them haircuts? Give them baths? Braid their hair/feathers?

I need some suggestions here Investor Popes, Helper of the Homeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
It may take a couple years ... Teeth healing with diet isn't particularly fast ... In the mean time, I'm enjoying the freedom from pain and sensitivity ... And it's quite convenient to only brush once a week or so
  topbottom
05-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #2653133  /  #163
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

^^^ Top idea.
  topbottom
05-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #2653178  /  #164
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

:
Oh hey, we've known that for years. He's only witnessing, and always has been. He sees himself as a valiant Christian in the Colosseum, standing up to the lions and the mob.

(where octohatters are the lions, and the mob is any layperson even tenuously acquainted with reality)
I don't think it's that.

I don't think he's particularly religious. I think what Dave believes in is Dave's Brilliance. Playing Simultaneous Chess with dozens of Octohatters on a Science Forum is the impression he's after creating. But that's no use to him if he can't link to it, and it be a Science Forum. He wasn't best pleased to find himself in HASH, but ASS would be beyond the pale and you can't link to TIH.

It's not for the pews, it's for the Potential Investors. And possibly for the Ladies.

TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Life Science Discussions

anti-vax tropes ftw, blithering idiocy, evidence is optional, fucking with any old knob, immortal goats, me moar sciency than u :p, no vaccine for stupid, power shitting, secret to immortality

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.13887 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,193KB
  • Queries Executed 50 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below