Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Alternative Science Subforum

Alternative Science Subforum Everything from novel but testable hypotheses to Pseudoscience

12-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #2005873  /  #26
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

: Mar 2008
: Nevada
: 5,619
llanitedave

:
:
Nature is amazing.
Only idiots would conclude that all life on earth came about through that 0.00000001% error rate.

No idiots here, are there?

Didn't think so.
So flesh-eating bacteria are proof that God loves us.
12-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #2005882  /  #27
Steviepinhead

: Seattle, WA
: 36,673
Steviepinhead

Loves something about us anyway.

Our flavor?

One reason why I avoid the grass-fed diet...
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #2005885  /  #28
Dave Hawkins

: Kansas City, MO Area
: 29,025
Dave Hawkins

OK, so the Gospel According to St. Voxrat would read something like ...

"In the beginning, E. Beginni (a distant great .... great grandfather of E. Coli) had no Error Correction System at all. Because of having no Error Correction System, it had Mutations Aplenty(TM) and could evolve into anything it's little heart desired. Boy did it Evolve! Life was Great! After about a million years or so, the Chief of the E. Beginni Race decided that this High Speed Evolution stuff was just too much, so he decided to evolve a Rudimentary Error Correction System and, over time (a million years or so give or take), voila! it came to be! On and on through time, the E. Beginni Race Evolved and Evolved, until be fore you knew it, the E. Coli Race was born! The End."
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #2005886  /  #29
Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

Technically speaking "he" would be an incorrect pronoun for referring to a bacterium, would it not?

My bad.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #2005888  /  #30
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

: Dec 2010
: 26,430
buttershug

:

"In the beginning, E. Beginni (a distant great .... great grandfather of E. Coli) had no Error Correction System at all. Because of having no Error Correction System, it had Mutations Aplenty(TM) and could evolve into anything it's little heart desired. Boy did it Evolve! Life was Great! After about a million years or so, the Chief of the E. Beginni Race decided that this High Speed Evolution stuff was just too much, so he decided to evolve a Rudimentary Error Correction System and, over time (a million years or so give or take), voila! it came to be! On and on through time, the E. Beginni Race Evolved and Evolved, until be fore you knew it, the E. Coli Race was born! The End."
not even close

Why not simply believe whatever you want or sincerely try and learn.
But to sincerely try and learn you have to be willing to up beliefs.

But stop trying to make evidence fit what you already believe.

Robert Anton Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YQ24i1wP0
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #2005894  /  #31
MrFungus420

: May 2008
: Midland, MI
: 2,976
MrFungus420

:

And the Gospel According to Dave Hawkins:

Derp, I don' unnerstan, mus be magic.
12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #2005915  /  #32
Jet Black
Finding Things Out
Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

: Dec 1969
: 31,476
Jet Black

:
:
Nature is amazing.
Only idiots would conclude that all life on earth came about through that 0.00000001% error rate.

Didn't think so.
there are about 10^14 bacteria in your gut, which already means that for a given error, there will be about a million of them in your stomach alone, and there are lots of places in the bacterial genome for errors. The number your are quoting is absolutely minuscule compared to even the number of bacteria in a single human body, never mind everywhere else. So the number you quote is perfectly fine in terms of giving something for natural selection to work on - something that only an idiot would omit from their argument. (see the variation in life on earth comes about through mutation and natural selection, something despite all your years of posting here you seem woefully incapable of understanding.). on top of that there are estimates (1998) of something like five million trillion trillion bacteria on earth (10^30) - that's more than the estimated number of stars in the observable universe, which comes in at a paltry 10^22 or so.

Last edited by Jet Black; 12-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #2005917  /  #33
Jet Black
Finding Things Out
Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

: Dec 1969
: 31,476
Jet Black

:

stop being such a dumb fuck dave.*

*is this a "kill yourself" post?...... that's for you to decide.
12-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #2005968  /  #34
Faid
just as bad

: 22,052
Faid

:
Technically speaking...

My bad.
You know, when one removes all your superfluous nonsense, your post is more or less correct.
12-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #2005969  /  #35
Faid
just as bad

: 22,052
Faid

:
:
:
Nature is amazing.

Didn't think so.
So flesh-eating bacteria are proof that God loves us.
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #2005972  /  #36
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell

: Lori's Place.
: 32,022
RAFH

:
:
:
Nature is amazing.

Didn't think so.
there are about 10^14 bacteria in your gut, which already means that for a given error, there will be about a million of them in your stomach alone, and there are lots of places in the bacterial genome for errors. The number your are quoting is absolutely minuscule compared to even the number of bacteria in a single human body, never mind everywhere else. So the number you quote is perfectly fine in terms of giving something for natural selection to work on - something that only an idiot would omit from their argument. (see the variation in life on earth comes about through mutation and natural selection, something despite all your years of posting here you seem woefully incapable of understanding.). on top of that there are estimates (1998) of something like five million trillion trillion bacteria on earth (10^30) - that's more than the estimated number of stars in the observable universe, which comes in at a paltry 10^22 or so.
I believe populations in seawater run from about 104 to 106 per ml. The former is at depth, while the latter is near the surface. Taking 105 as an average, in just 9 liters of seawater one exceeds dvey's error rate. There are 1.39 cubic kilometers of seawater, and 1012 liters per cubic kilometer. So in just the ocean, we're looking at more than 1020 possible errors per generation.

Last edited by RAFH; 12-31-2012 at 12:35 PM.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #2005977  /  #37
Dr. Nelson C. Armadingo

: 1,801
Dr. Nelson C. Armadingo

It doesn't matter how many times triple-d reboots, he just never quite manages to get the math processor to come back on-line. Large numbers (apparently, those > about 10) remain entirely beyond his ken.

--------------------------------------------
Twitching like a finger on the trigger of a gun. P. Simon
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2005979  /  #38
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell

: Lori's Place.
: 32,022
RAFH

:
It doesn't matter how many times triple-d reboots, he just never quite manages to get the math processor to come back on-line. Large numbers (apparently, those > about 10) remain entirely beyond his ken.
Which is why he's a lot more comfortable with 6000.
12-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #2005981  /  #39
VoxRat

: 46,746
VoxRat

:
I believe populations in seawater run from about 104 to 106 per ml.
I think that might be per liter, rather than per ml

Counts of “viable bacteria” (CGU) in surface sea water samples from the region of the North Pacific Gyre (28° N, 155°W) were estimated to range from 10,000 to 200,000 per litre.

... though your numbers might be about right if the sample is taken at the Jersey shore.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #2005984  /  #40
Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

Can someone please explain to me why you would bother to evolve an error correction system if "errors" are the source of your creativity? Don't the words "correction" and "error" lose all meaning in the world that Darwinists are imagining?
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #2005986  /  #41
VoxRat

VoxRat

:
Can someone please explain to me why you would bother to evolve an error correction system if "errors" are the source of your creativity?
I have explained that to you. You ignored it. I really don't see much point in going through it again without some sort of assurance up front that you will at least acknowledge the explanation.

Your blithely ignoring Jet Black's and my posts above does not bode well.

:
Don't the words "correction" and "error" lose all meaning in the world that Darwinists are imagining?
No.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #2005992  /  #42
Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

OK. I acknowledge JB's post. Plenty of errors for NS to work on.

I do solemnly swear that I will acknowledge your explanation as well.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #2006000  /  #43
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

buttershug

:
Can someone please explain to me why you would bother to evolve an error correction system if "errors" are the source of your creativity? Don't the words "correction" and "error" lose all meaning in the world that Darwinists are imagining?
It's no bother. (Said in an old Jewish woman's voice.

Don't start with some kind of intelligent agent.
Stop thinking in terms of purpose.

I think you are thinking that if there is no right or wrong then how can something be correct or in error?

Robert Anton Wilson
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #2006002  /  #44
VoxRat

VoxRat

:

Let's start by acknowledging previous discussions on exactly this topic.
Do you recall that we - you and I - have a bet related to this? Do you recall what that bet is?
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #2006006  /  #45
buttershug
Hung

buttershug

:

Do you understand that having such discussions such as these are useless unless one is willing to change what one believes?
Everyone who argues with you is willing to change our minds.

I bet half the people that have argued with you have discovered new and interesting things because of you. And have changed their beliefs at least slightly because of it. Usually further away from what you believe. But change it never the less.

I wish there was some way I could convince you to look only at what made you believe in the first place. Anything you have found since you stopped changing your beliefs isn't part of why you started believing in the first place.
Voxrat and JetBlack don't have that problem because they never stopped changing what they believe.

In other words one is wasting ones time looking at evidence if one is not willing to change ones belief.

Robert Anton Wilson
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #2006010  /  #46
Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

Yes, I recall a discussion on this topic. Yes, I recall a bet. Can't recall the details.
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #2006016  /  #47
VoxRat

VoxRat

Why don't you take a moment to review that thread:

Did Copying Errors Produce DNA Proofreading Systems to Prevent Copying Errors?

You'll find the answers there. In particular, I'd like to draw your attention to this post:
:
:
Can we please talk about the infinite regress stuff on a different thread? This thread is about the evolution of DNA proofreading and error correction. Thanks.
Yes?
And what exactly is the logical problem with a relatively small (and therefore relatively simple) genome evolving mechanisms that minimize randomization, thus enabling that genome to become larger and more complex? What is the logical problem with these mechanisms - perhaps starting with a single protein - themselves evolving more and more complexity, recruiting one gene after another, improving fidelity and thus allowing the viability of still larger, still more complex genomes?

What is there to talk about?
Which a quick scan of that thread tells me you never acknowledged. Let alone respond to.

If you have specific questions that weren't answered there, or if you need clarification, ask them here.

But how about we avoid another round of ...

topbottom
12-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #2006023  /  #48
damitall
Member, Great British Public

: 5,654
damitall

:
:
I believe populations in seawater run from about 104 to 106 per ml.
I think that might be per liter, rather than per ml

Counts of “viable bacteria” (CGU) in surface sea water samples from the region of the North Pacific Gyre (28° N, 155°W) were estimated to range from 10,000 to 200,000 per litre.

... though your numbers might be about right if the sample is taken at the Jersey shore.
Even so, that's a correction of RAFH's figure from 10^20 to 10^17 possible errors per generation (which in turn assumes that all the polymerases involved have the same very high fidelity - which is unlikely)

10^17 is a Very Large Number, though: bigger than 6000, so Dave possibly won't understand it

No I didn't read anything I just clicked on the links and looked at the pictures. - Dave Hawkins
  topbottom
12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #2006082  /  #49
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

: UK
: 60,846
Pingu

:
:
Nature is amazing.

Didn't think so.
Dave, this post of yours is idiotic.

Let me know if you are interested in why.
12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #2006084  /  #50
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

: UK
: 60,846
Pingu

:
Yes, I recall a discussion on this topic. Yes, I recall a bet. Can't recall the details.
You never do, conveniently.

TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Alternative Science Subforum

99.99999999% tard, anthropocentric tard, bigger than 6000, high fidelity tard, nature is amazing!

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.22929 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,576KB
  • Queries Executed 75 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below