Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Theology, Hagiography and Creeds

Theology, Hagiography and Creeds for discussion of religion(s), secularism and related issues

08-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #1519658  /  #1
boba123

: Jan 2010
: On an Island of Paradise within a sea of Iniquity
: 7,167
boba123
Another Public School teacher - VIOLATING the separation of Church and State !!!!

Another News Release from the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) -
:
Bible, ‘Spirit of the Lord’ on school supply list
August 31, 2011

'It's supposed to be reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic, not religion.' — FFRF Co-President Dan Barker

A Texas public school math teacher's school supply list sent home with students included the Bible and "the Spirit of the Lord."

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a national church-state watchdog with 16,000 members and more than 700 in Texas, sent a letter of complaint Aug. 30 to Superintendent Stan Surratt of the Lindale Independent School District and to Principal Vicki Thrasher at Lindale Junior High School on behalf of a concerned parent in Lindale, Texas.

The parent alerted FFRF about math teacher Amy Priddy's inappropriate list for eighth-grade algebra students. Included under "Classroom Expectations" was "Listen: to the Spirit of the Lord, to all instructions. . ." Another expectation is to prepare "your supplies (notebook, textbook, Bible, pencils, graph paper, spiral notebook, red pen, homework, etc.)"

The list imposes the teacher's religious sentiments on her students, and thus is a violation of the U.S. Constitution, noted FFRF Staff Attorney Stephanie Schmitt in her letter.

"Mrs. Priddy’s decision to include 'Listen: to the Spirit of the Lord' and a Bible as classroom expectations distributed to parents and students crosses the line [of state-church separation] because she is endorsing and promoting religion while acting in her official capacity as a school district employee," Schmitt wrote.

(This apparently was the teacher's personal list because the district's supply list online is different.)

"Lindale Independent School District must take appropriate action to stop its teachers from imposing their religious beliefs and practices on their students," Schmitt wrote. "Teachers in your district must be directed to adhere to current law. Please promptly inform us in writing of the steps you are taking to protect the rights of conscience of your students."

"It's supposed to be reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic, not religion," said Dan Barker, FFRF co-president. "This algebra teacher needs to be told to calculate the distance between church and state!"

FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor added, "The bible claims there is nothing new under the sun. But the bible, as usual, is wrong because this type of brazen violation is new even to us! Whoever heard of the bible being used as a math textbook?

"We think this teacher should certainly know that such behavior is illegal in a public school, and she should be disciplined," Gaylor added. "Students have a right to a safe and secular school environment and to be free from teachers misusing their authority to impose their personal religious views on what is basically a captive audience."
MattShizzle - using the word "MORON" - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...772#post914772-- "Ignore the assholes. Assholes are the price we pay for being able to tell assholes they are assholes." = Febble - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...599#post958599-- "Im a Satanist, Israel is a terrorist state, Hamas is the good guys." = S'hitman - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...61#post1454961
  topbottom
08-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #1519660  /  #2
Sugriva

: Sep 2008
: L.A.
: 10,615
Sugriva

Why is Dan wasting time releasing press statements like this when he should be responding to my e-mail?
  topbottom
08-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #1519732  /  #3
Skeeve
Violent pacifist

: Nov 2008
: I play golf 2mi from Lincolns birthplace.
: 3,382
Skeeve

He answers friends on Facebook quicker. Would you like me to put in a good word for you?
08-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #1519773  /  #4
Sugriva

Sugriva

Please do!
  topbottom
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #1519813  /  #5
sanshou
freedom axis
TR Librarian

: Mar 2008
: 47,196
sanshou

it's time for dan to respond to these allegations
09-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #1519858  /  #6
Mike PSS

: Florida
: 11,478
Mike PSS

From seeing how most students score in Math, maybe a little prayer couldn't be that bad. At least when they fail they can blame someone other than themselves.
  topbottom
09-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #1519947  /  #7
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

: Nevada
: 5,619
llanitedave

Won't God tell them that pi = 3?
09-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #1519980  /  #8
Mike PSS

: Florida
: 11,478
Mike PSS

:
Won't God tell them that pi = 3?
Then you blame God for getting it wrong.

But, God is never wrong.

topbottom
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1520747  /  #9
Sugarhitman

: 6,146
Sugarhitman

I sense real anger in Mr. Boba.
  topbottom
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #1520772  /  #10
boba123

boba123

:
I'm angry that a Public School teacher has the AUDACITY - to VIOLATE the letter and the spirit of the law - Separating Church and State !!!!!

Just like you, S'hitman - SHOULD be angry when the KKK VIOLATES the letter and the spirit of the law - establishing FULL Citizenship - upon folk, who - IN the ORIGINAL FOUNDING FATHER IMPLEMENTATION of the letter and the spirit of the law - established that a LARGE number of folk - where ONLY 3/5 of a person !!!!! Particularly - when the FOUNDING FATHERS of the US of A - ONLY allowed the 3/5 count - to effect the number of Representatives - IN the CONGRESS of the US of A. NOTHING else was allowed in this 3/5 thingy !!!

I trust, S'hitman - that YOU, of all people - WOULD be ANGRY and RIGHTEOUSLY INDIGNANT about this 3/5 person thingy within the History of the US of A.

YES, S'hitman - I AM RIGHTEOUSLY INDIGNANT - that a Public School teacher has the AUDACITY - to VIOLATE the letter and the spirit of the law - of the US of A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
MattShizzle - using the word "MORON" - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...772#post914772-- "Ignore the assholes. Assholes are the price we pay for being able to tell assholes they are assholes." = Febble - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...599#post958599-- "Im a Satanist, Israel is a terrorist state, Hamas is the good guys." = S'hitman - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...61#post1454961
  topbottom
09-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #1520783  /  #11
Sugarhitman

: 6,146
Sugarhitman

Youre angry because this person was sharing their belief, by distributing Biblical materials and to both parents and children...less malevolent than Dawkins' demand that 5 year old kids be given compulsory Evolution education (wait, they are already doing that).
  topbottom
09-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #1520808  /  #12
boba123

boba123

:
Youre angry because this person was sharing their belief, by distributing Biblical materials and to both parents and children...less malevolent than Dawkins' demand that 5 year old kids be given compulsory Evolution education (wait, they are already doing that).
WHY, S'hitman - do YOU - love the KKK - so much ??????????????
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #1521126  /  #13
sanshou
freedom axis
TR Librarian

: 47,196
sanshou

:
sometimes i worry that he may act out on his radical views. if he were to hurt someone, i would feel terrible for not notifying the authorities i had a chance
09-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #1521148  /  #14
boba123

boba123

:
:
I'm angry that a Public School teacher has the AUDACITY - to VIOLATE the letter and the spirit of the law - Separating Church and State !!!!!

Just like you, S'hitman - SHOULD be angry when the KKK VIOLATES the letter and the spirit of the law - establishing FULL Citizenship - upon folk, who - IN the ORIGINAL FOUNDING FATHER IMPLEMENTATION of the letter and the spirit of the law - established that a LARGE number of folk - where ONLY 3/5 of a person !!!!! Particularly - when the FOUNDING FATHERS of the US of A - ONLY allowed the 3/5 count - to effect the number of Representatives - IN the CONGRESS of the US of A. NOTHING else was allowed in this 3/5 thingy !!!

I trust, S'hitman - that YOU, of all people - WOULD be ANGRY and RIGHTEOUSLY INDIGNANT about this 3/5 person thingy within the History of the US of A.

YES, S'hitman - I AM RIGHTEOUSLY INDIGNANT - that a Public School teacher has the AUDACITY - to VIOLATE the letter and the spirit of the law - of the US of A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
:
:
sometimes i worry that he may act out on his radical views. if he were to hurt someone, i would feel terrible for not notifying the authorities i had a chance
My, My, sanshou - YOU SEEMED to MISS - MY response to S'hitman's observation of my BEING ANGRY - that a Public School teacher - had the AUDACITY to Violate the letter and spirit of the LAW of THIS LAND - that separates Church FROM State !!!!!!!

It sure looks like YOU, sanshou - ARE the KIND of GUY - that WILL ACT OUT - AGAINST the LAW of THIS LAND - you UNPATRIOTIC Hypocrite !!!!!!!!

I'm SURE, sanshou - that BOTH you and S'hitmen - have a GREAT LOVE for the FOUNDING FATHERS of the US of A - that defined S'hitman's Self-Declared Ancestors - as 3/5 of a Person - who could NOT even VOTE !!!!!

AND, by the way, sanshou and S'hitman - a GREAT NUMBER of those Founding Fathers - WHERE Patriarchal Authoritarian - CHRISTIANS !!!!!! CHRISTIANS - that defined a Whole Group of folk - as 3/5 of a Person !!!!!!

SUCK ROCKS, sanshou !!!!! Suck Rocks, S'hitman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #1521164  /  #15
Supernaut
Into the East
TR Chaplain

: Sacramento, CA
: 16,766
Supernaut

Well look what you two dipshits gone and did! Good job Ben Doon and Phil McCrevis!

((((boba))))
09-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #1521170  /  #16
Sugriva

Sugriva

:
:
:

:
:
My, My, sanshou - YOU SEEMED to MISS - MY response to S'hitman's observation of my BEING ANGRY - that a Public School teacher - had the AUDACITY to Violate the letter and spirit of the LAW of THIS LAND - that separates Church FROM State !!!!!!!

It sure looks like YOU, sanshou - ARE the KIND of GUY - that WILL ACT OUT - AGAINST the LAW of THIS LAND - you UNPATRIOTIC Hypocrite !!!!!!!!

I'm SURE, sanshou - that BOTH you and S'hitmen - have a GREAT LOVE for the FOUNDING FATHERS of the US of A - that defined S'hitman's Self-Declared Ancestors - as 3/5 of a Person - who could NOT even VOTE !!!!!

AND, by the way, sanshou and S'hitman - a GREAT NUMBER of those Founding Fathers - WHERE Patriarchal Authoritarian - CHRISTIANS !!!!!! CHRISTIANS - that defined a Whole Group of folk - as 3/5 of a Person !!!!!!

Wow. This is honestly a scary rant here, I mean this is a Breivik-sized outburst and I'm not sure how comfortable I am in keeping boba123 off ignore anymore.
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #1521173  /  #17
Supernaut
Into the East
TR Chaplain

Supernaut

:
:
:
:

:
:

Wow. This is honestly a scary rant here, I mean this is a Breivik-sized outburst and I'm not sure how comfortable I am in keeping boba123 off ignore anymore.
Piss off you worthless shit! Boba always maintains his composure!

Last edited by Supernaut; 09-02-2011 at 04:18 AM. : thanks bart!!
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #1521182  /  #18
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

: 44,650
Bartholomew Roberts

:

Piss of
haha
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #1521188  /  #19
Supernaut
Into the East
TR Chaplain

Supernaut

:
:

Piss of
haha
09-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #1521199  /  #20
Sugriva

Sugriva

topbottom
09-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #1521203  /  #21
Supernaut
Into the East
TR Chaplain

Supernaut

:EYEONU:
09-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #1521207  /  #22
rmacfarl
DAG and proud of it

: Feb 2010
: World's most liveable city - still!
: 10,444
rmacfarl

that smiley is terrible
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #1521218  /  #23
Supernaut
Into the East
TR Chaplain

Supernaut

How dare you speak of Ogra that way!?!
09-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #1521220  /  #24
Sugriva

Sugriva

I haven't seen The Dark Crystal in ages.
  topbottom
09-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #1521221  /  #25
Sugriva

Sugriva

Gelflings creeped me out as a kid.
  topbottom

TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Theology, Hagiography and Creeds

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.19185 seconds