Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Politics and Current Affairs

Politics and Current Affairs For political discussions and mudwrestling

05-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #2652644  /  #101
rmacfarl
DAG and proud of it

: Feb 2010
: World's most liveable city - still!
: 10,444
rmacfarl

:
:
:
:
what they are reacting to is their inability to call a spade a spade
i've heard the "calling a spade a spade" thing before. are people actually serious when they say that? i can't tell
wiki says the expression predates the racial slur. by thousands of years. it was originally just meant as "calling a shovel a shovel".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_a_spade_a_spade

that said, you can easily imagine it being used as a dogwhistle or just a deniable double meaning. I'm guessing that happens, though I have no sense of how much.
The expression is still commonly used over here, but has no racist connotations at all. Those might be a purely US thing.
Bullshit, if our politicians dog-whistling about asylum seekers and refugees isn't racist, what the hell is? Just this week we had the immigration minister talking about illiterate refugees taking our jobs. in the middle of the fucking election campaign
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #2652645  /  #102
rmacfarl
DAG and proud of it

rmacfarl

That, and dog-whistling about muzzies and terrorism
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #2652646  /  #103
osmanthus
Bent member

: Jun 2008
: Australia
: 7,101
osmanthus

Yeah but I was talking about the expression itself, not Dutton's latest brain fart.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #2652650  /  #104
PerseusOmega9
Saves People From Themselves

: Jul 2010
: Piedmont, NC
: 8,861
PerseusOmega9

I liked the part where everyone stopped fighting and lol'd about college kids
05-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #2652651  /  #105
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

This is a great rant about the GOP campaign so far.

http://www.ginandtacos.com/2016/05/04/postmortem/

Example:

:
Kasich won one state – his own – and was not a serious candidate except in the minds of people who managed to convince themselves that despite winning 8% of the vote in every primary, the system could somehow be rigged to make him the winner because, well, he doesn't seem like he's going to leave behind a safe deposit box full of preserved skin samples from the people he's eaten. And in this field, that was an achievement on his part not to be taken lightly.
And some of the comments are fun too:

:
If Trump wins, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see his the top of his head open and shoot confetti into the air. Really, there could be anything in there.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #2652652  /  #106
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

Come to think of it, since the thread title doesn't specify which 2016 election is relevant, we could use this as a dumping ground for the Real 2016 Election. Which is ours. So fuck you.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #2652655  /  #107
el jefe
TR Pundit

: Oct 2008
: 30,945
el jefe

please be true

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...GRP#.ydM2GZdQ0

:
Just months before the U.S. housing market started to crash, beginning the downward spiral that sent the globe on the road to the massive 2008 financial crisis, Donald Trump was advising Trump University students that he didn't think there was a bubble in the real estate market.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 01:00 AM   #2652656  /  #108
daap-umop-bnp
murder by chair

: Apr 2009
: a white state
: 25,431
daap-umop-bnp

Why? What would it matter?

Please clap.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #2652657  /  #109
TySixtus
Fucker!
Dungeon Master

: Mar 2008
: Rachacha NY
: 32,079
TySixtus

:
Why? What would it matter?
Exactly. Jesus fucking Christ. Pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDYAz5LFjc
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #2652658  /  #110
el jefe
TR Pundit

el jefe

it obviously undercuts the twin narrative that, whatever else you might say about him, he is a smart businessman, who tells it like it is

now, you're probably thinking the man is made of teflon. or, worse, that attacks only make him stronger. and, ok, you're probably totally right about that.

I'm just toying with a theory that his defiance of political gravity is specific to when he's being offensive. maybe when it's not something where the story is "look how politically incorrect he is!", people have a more normal reaction to him? I do remember a report that focus groups were showing trump university really does hurt him, a little. in this case, it is about trump university, and it's not about offensiveness. plus, the housing bubble and crash is something everyone remembers clearly and not in a pleasant way.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 01:31 AM   #2652660  /  #111
meepmeep
TR Death Overlord
Admin

: 5,305
meepmeep

In my grad program, right before I started, there was a cheating incident with a student from Korea. She cheated on the TOEFL and falsified god knows what else because she showed up for class unable to really speak English or Russian. I mean, I feel kind of bad for people like that but what in the everloving fuck do you think is going to happen if you try to do a foreign language program and don't even speak that language, much less the dominant one in the university you're going to? Like, how do you think this could possibly work?

And, yeah, cheating is just how things work in academia in some places. My Russian professors used to remark on how rampant cheating on exams is in Russia and how it's just kind of accepted. Makes me even more confident in their civil engineering. :retard:

:
what does she think this is?
lol, students. No understanding of the concept of business hours. I once had a kid email me on a Saturday asking to be added to a class. He emailed me again Sunday morning about the same thing, adding a "I really need to get my schedule figured out!" and basically calling me out on not doing my job. Cool story, brah. Even if I wanted to work on a weekend just for you, the registration people are sure as fuck not going to help me on a weekend. vv

:
now between the chair and the secretary, anyone who's worked in academia know how much more powerful the latter is than the former,
05-21-2016, 01:47 AM   #2652661  /  #112
TySixtus
Fucker!
Dungeon Master

: Rachacha NY
: 32,079
TySixtus

:
it obviously undercuts the twin narrative that, whatever else you might say about him, he is a smart businessman, who tells it like it is

now, you're probably thinking the man is made of teflon. or, worse, that attacks only make him stronger. and, ok, you're probably totally right about that.

I'm just toying with a theory that his defiance of political gravity is specific to when he's being offensive. maybe when it's not something where the story is "look how politically incorrect he is!", people have a more normal reaction to him? I do remember a report that focus groups were showing trump university really does hurt him, a little. in this case, it is about trump university, and it's not about offensiveness. plus, the housing bubble and crash is something everyone remembers clearly and not in a pleasant way.
Guapo, there is not going to be any "gotcha" moment for Trump. Short of people finding out he kept sex slaves or something else horrifically degenerate, it is going to come down to personalities. That's it. Nobody gives a shit about Trump university or his tax returns or whether or not he cheated on his wife. He is building a personality cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDYAz5LFjc
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 02:01 AM   #2652662  /  #113
fleet-footed Urban Youth
ZA... WARUDO!!
RnR/TR Official Historian

: 42,699
fleet-footed Urban Youth

:

no one gives a shit

brought forth from the void by the power of droid turbo
05-21-2016, 02:07 AM   #2652663  /  #114
daap-umop-bnp
murder by chair

: Apr 2009
: a white state
: 25,431
daap-umop-bnp

I can imagine one of those focus groups, where the interviewer asks the participants how they feel about X, which isn't the same as how you thought Y, right? And they go, yeah I guess you're right, and a check mark is made on a form.

Then they get out of the focus group and forget what the hell the questions were even about but fuck that confusion, TRUMP HELL YEAH!

Please clap.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 02:09 AM   #2652664  /  #115
el jefe
TR Pundit

el jefe

guys, this is it, I just know it
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 02:12 AM   #2652665  /  #116
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
The People's Admin

: Apr 2008
: 50,099
schneibler elf

Let's get some guano odds

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk 2

3) jerome da gnome
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 02:15 AM   #2652666  /  #117
PerseusOmega9

PerseusOmega9

Well fuck, nothing can stop him
05-21-2016, 02:26 AM   #2652670  /  #118
fleet-footed Urban Youth
ZA... WARUDO!!
RnR/TR Official Historian

: 42,699
fleet-footed Urban Youth

:
:

Guapo, there is not going to be any "gotcha" moment for Trump. Short of people finding out he kept sex slaves or something else horrifically degenerate, it is going to come down to personalities. That's it. Nobody gives a shit about Trump university or his tax returns or whether or not he cheated on his wife. He is building a personality cult.
it's more likely that if it turned out that he wasn't actually racist as fuck that he'd be sunk

05-21-2016, 02:50 AM   #2652671  /  #119
rmacfarl
DAG and proud of it

rmacfarl

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2644307
:
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."

- 1 Timothy 6:10, The New Testament of the Bible
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #2652687  /  #120
Reign_Cryogen
lifelong TR supreme leader
Baccarat Champion, Earth Defense Champion

: Aug 2008
: 11,209
Reign_Cryogen

:
:
:

it's more likely that if it turned out that he wasn't actually racist as fuck that he'd be sunk

lol

fuck
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #2652775  /  #121
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Not the Current Manifestation

: Apr 2008
: On Top of Spaghetti
: 7,711
Evil Squirrel Overlord

:
In my grad program, right before I started, there was a cheating incident with a student from Korea. She cheated on the TOEFL and falsified god knows what else because she showed up for class unable to really speak English or Russian. I mean, I feel kind of bad for people like that but what in the everloving fuck do you think is going to happen if you try to do a foreign language program and don't even speak that language, much less the dominant one in the university you're going to? Like, how do you think this could possibly work?
Yesterday I had a individual from India try to get an I-20 out of me because they wanted to teach the Dakota language. I threw out a couple of phrases because how in the Hell would anyone in India know how to speak Dakota fluently!
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #2652796  /  #122
Reign_Cryogen
lifelong TR supreme leader
Baccarat Champion, Earth Defense Champion

: Aug 2008
: 11,209
Reign_Cryogen

you just made that up so you could participate in the activity, didn't you?
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #2652815  /  #123
PerseusOmega9

PerseusOmega9

Lol
05-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #2652821  /  #124
teeth!
trollo trollini trollus est
Commissar

: talkrationalo trollenda est
: 51,109
teeth!

:
please be true

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...GRP#.ydM2GZdQ0

:
Just months before the U.S. housing market started to crash, beginning the downward spiral that sent the globe on the road to the massive 2008 financial crisis, Donald Trump was advising Trump University students that he didn't think there was a bubble in the real estate market.
this seems like something a great businessman would do. get people to keep on paying you money even when the writing's on the wall that your product is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
I suppose it's good for society that I'm not an alpha wolf then.
  topbottom
05-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #2652847  /  #125
PerseusOmega9

PerseusOmega9

#successfulbusinessman

TalkRational Archive > Discussion > Politics and Current Affairs

crysixtus, cunt, cunt fart, cunt punt, cunts, cunts in general, cuntysixtus, dickie from newark, relax and cunt to ten, tyrump, tysexist strikes again, tysixtus = angry, tysixtus meltsdown, tysixtus posing again

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.21573 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,575KB
  • Queries Executed 76 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below