Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > The Soap Opera > TSO Archive

TSO Archive Older TSO threads which are no longer relevant to current operations and complaints will be moved to this forum periodically

12-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #1205645  /  #26
Matty
You wot?
Caribbean Poker Champion, Bejeweled Blitz  Champion

: Mar 2008
: Ontario, Canada
: 22,200
Matty

:
If they are going to do this, they should also ban bsb. He has done the same kind of disruptive shit (the so called spam) bart has done and I don't think he has ever been suspended.
i see a difference between perpetual shitposts ala bsb, and the deliberate disruption of the board in a wide variety of ways ala BR.

you really dont?

:
I am just worried about where this crack down it going to lead.
a lame assed slippery slope argument from you PD?

Last edited by Matty; 12-01-2010 at 02:43 PM.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #1205648  /  #27
halii
Arya horseface
Mahjong - Wonderful Lake Champion, Bola Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion

: 18,484
halii

:
If they are going to do this, they should also ban bsb. He has done the same kind of disruptive shit (the so called spam) bart has done and I don't think he has ever been suspended. Hell, they made him a mod. I get that the admins are tired of dealing with bart's annoying posts and that raven has been especially patient with bart. I am just worried about where this crack down it going to lead.
Well if bart made the posts BSB did he'd be banned, but we're talking about BSB, who no one takes seriously.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #1205649  /  #28
fleet-footed Urban Youth
ZA... WARUDO!!
RnR/TR Official Historian

: Jun 2008
: 42,699
fleet-footed Urban Youth

:
:
If they are going to do this, they should also ban bsb. He has done the same kind of disruptive shit (the so called spam) bart has done and I don't think he has ever been suspended.
i see a difference between perpetual shitposts ala bsb, and the deliberate disruption of the board ion a wide variety of ways ala BR.

you really dont?

:
I am just worried about where this crack down it going to lead.
man i can't wait for jamesbannon to quote this post and reply "Exactly." or something
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #1205650  /  #29
Requiem
Dubstyle.

: Mar 2009
: i forget
: 23,616
Requiem

i don't think it's a slippery slope, more an ironic statement about the restructuring of the Tr 'ethos' according to which definition of "shitposter" is winning out in the great war of "rationalism" versus lulz.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #1205651  /  #30
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador

: Annapolis, MD
: 25,454
Pavlov's Dog

:
:
i see a difference between perpetual shitposts ala bsb, and the deliberate disruption of the board ion a wide variety of ways ala BR.

you really dont?
No, I don't see the difference between one attention seeking retard and another attention seeking retard both trying to seek attention.

:
It is not an argument. The slip has already happened and that is why I will be posting here less. I could care less about Bart's suspension. It is his fault combined with the stupid ass admins running this place that the slip has happened. They should have just banned him a long time ago and maybe they wouldn't have broke the board reacting to him.

Any private messages sent to this member will not automatically be considered confidential.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #1205652  /  #31
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
The People's Admin

: Apr 2008
: 50,099
schneibler elf

:
i don't think it's a slippery slope, more an ironic statement about the restructuring of the Tr 'ethos' according to which definition of "shitposter" is winning out in the great war of "rationalism" versus lulz.
"exactly"

3) jerome da gnome
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #1205653  /  #32
fleet-footed Urban Youth
ZA... WARUDO!!

fleet-footed Urban Youth

i feel it would be opportune to point out, at this juncture, that rnr has a whole forum dedicated to topics of interest to our friends "across the pond" which is moderated by the excellent von zipper
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #1205657  /  #33
SteveF
Pleistocene person

: London, UK.
: 27,270
SteveF

:
i feel it would be opportune to point out, at this juncture, that rnr has a whole forum dedicated to topics of interest to our friends "across the pond" which is moderated by the excellent von zipper
Could you provide me with a link to this exciting sounding posting opportunity?
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #1205663  /  #34
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador

Pavlov's Dog

:
Exactly. This is how the board is going to be run now, which was pretty much how it was designed to run and did run before the reboot. We had a pretty decent thing going but Bart had to push at all the seams for no reason other than to try and tear it apart. Not because he thought it could run more efficiently or more fairly or to improve it in any way.

Any private messages sent to this member will not automatically be considered confidential.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #1205664  /  #35
fleet-footed Urban Youth
ZA... WARUDO!!

fleet-footed Urban Youth

:
:
http://www.rantsnraves.org/forumdisp...e-have-a-queen

i'd like to change the background to the union jack and embed an mp3 of "hail britannia" but that's more of a long term project
12-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #1205667  /  #36
SteveF
Pleistocene person

: London, UK.
: 27,270
SteveF

:
:
:
http://www.rantsnraves.org/forumdisp...e-have-a-queen

i'd like to change the background to the union jack and embed an mp3 of "hail britannia" but that's more of a long term project
My word, how exciting. I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavours.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #1205668  /  #37
Matty
You wot?

Matty

:
No, I don't see the difference between one attention seeking retard and another attention seeking retard both trying to seek attention.
you dont think degree of action matters?

or do you think BsB is equally maliciously disruptive as bart?

:
They should have just banned him a long time ago and maybe they wouldn't have broke the board reacting to him.
i agree with this with the exception that i think a bit of TR just got fixed. the bit where anything goes for as long as possible with zero recourse.

:
We had a pretty decent thing going but Bart had to push at all the seams for no reason other than to try and tear it apart. Not because he thought it could run more efficiently or more fairly or to improve it in any way.
and i do agree with this, just dont see why putting a stop to it, finally, after a matter of years of hand-wringing, endless discussion and perpetually ignored warnings, is a terrible thing.

Last edited by Matty; 12-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #1205669  /  #38
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador

Pavlov's Dog

:
:
you dont think degree of action matters?
No, I think the fact that BSB's posts are shittier and are generally more disruptive should be taken into account.

:
i agree with this with the exception that i think a bit of TR just got fixed. the bit where anything goes for as long as possible with zero recourse.
You are also generally a moron, so you thinking it got fixed tells me that my instincts are correct.

topbottom
12-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #1205670  /  #39
halii
Arya horseface

halii

"maliciously disruptive"?

so not just disruptive but disruptive in a mean way, like how BSB likes to harrass ty.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #1205675  /  #40
Imaginary Mark
custom user title

: Oct 2008
: Seattle
: 3,318
Imaginary Mark

oh man, i wish bart was here to see himself being compared to bsb like this.

bart, you have been owned.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #1205680  /  #41
Matty
You wot?

Matty

:
so not just disruptive but disruptive in a mean way, like how BSB likes to harrass ty.
dont get me wrong, i think that shit should have been slapped down a long time ago too, but i havent seen BsB deliberately disrupt the board as a whole in the same way as Bart.
It is really quite easy to get through this board without seeing a shitpost from Bsb for days or weeks at a time. You couldnt ever say the same about Bart.

bart was clearly and obviously pushing the boundaries to the point where he got banned. and has been for a long time.

Last edited by Matty; 12-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #1205690  /  #42
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

: UK
: 60,846
Pingu

We don't have permanent bans here, AFAIK. Isn't it "indefinite"?
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #1205692  /  #43
ravenok
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

: Norton's Empire
: 81,531
ravenok

:
:
Exactly. This is how the board is going to be run now, which was pretty much how it was designed to run and did run before the reboot. We had a pretty decent thing going but Bart had to push at all the seams for no reason other than to try and tear it apart. Not because he thought it could run more efficiently or more fairly or to improve it in any way.
I think the board will get back to normal. In fact, I think it already has, other than the angst over recalls atm.
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #1205693  /  #44
kombucha
reputed to be incomparable

: Apr 2008
: 4,571
kombucha

:
We don't have permanent bans here, AFAIK. Isn't it "indefinite"?
Just FYI, that's probably not particularly helpful.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #1205695  /  #45
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador

Pavlov's Dog

:

dont get me wrong, i think that shit should have been slapped down a long time ago too, but i havent seen BsB deliberately disrupt the board as a whole in the same way as Bart.
The only reason you haven't seen that is because the staff doesn't react the same way.

:
It is really quite easy to get through this board without seeing a shitpost from Bsb for days or weeks at a time. You couldnt ever say the same about Bart.
Recently yes. Can you remember past last week or is that the beginning of time for you?

topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #1205697  /  #46
gandalf
teh r3t4rd
teh pplz champi0n

: Feb 2010
: 13,784
gandalf

haha bart is such an amateur tr0ll ive survived way longer on way worse f0rumz than this
Mattshizzle: Advice # 1 - post in English instead of Retarded.
Schneibster: Do you have any idea how many people have arrogantly told me I was full of shit on the Internet?
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #1205700  /  #47
halii
Arya horseface

halii

I think the indefinite ban is the same thing as a permaban in this case. an indefinite ban for a hacked account can be undone when the problem is fixed. no one thinks the problem with bart is fixable. if he appeals in 6 months no one is going to overturn it or anything. the option to give him a 6 month ban was on the table already, no one thinks bart is going to change or anything. to a certain extent I agree, he won't stop as long as he keeps getting the reaction he gets.
  topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #1205701  /  #48
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador

Pavlov's Dog

:
:
:
I think the board will get back to normal. In fact, I think it already has, other than the angst over recalls atm.
It depends on what you mean by back to normal. People are going to continue to overreact and the admins will continue to overreact to that overreaction. Now the precedent has been set and you aren't going to get the net nannies to back down. Then you and JB are resigning so we are going to be left with something even worse.

topbottom
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #1205702  /  #49
ravenok
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

ravenok

Indefinitel suspensions work as follows.

- if the member wants to contest the suspension, they ask for an appeal during the first month. The appeal will be considered by a group of 5 randomly selected members.
- After the suspension has been in place for a month, then the suspended member can at any time ask the admins to consider lifting it. Whether we'd lift it would depend on if we think either the disruption wouldn't start up again, or we think TR would be better able to deal with or ignore it.
12-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #1205705  /  #50
ravenok
trigger warning

ravenok

:
:
:

It depends on what you mean by back to normal. People are going to continue to overreact and the admins will continue to overreact to that overreaction. Now the precedent has been set and you aren't going to get the net nannies to back down. Then you and JB are resigning so we are going to be left with something even worse.
I'm currently planning to re-run for admin in February, though that depends to some extent on who else is running. If I think someone who can do what I do as well or better could win, I won't run.

I think JB has the same thing in mind, though I could be wrong.

TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > The Soap Opera > TSO Archive

!let's dance, bart 4 staff 0, bart = the ultimate bore, bartards for bart, stopper, ttp = the ultimate whore

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.18108 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,616KB
  • Queries Executed 74 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below