Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Discussion > History, Anthropological Sciences and Humanities

History, Anthropological Sciences and Humanities History, Anthropology, Behavioral Sciences, etc.

03-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1331035  /  #26
SteveF
Pleistocene person

: Mar 2008
: London, UK.
: 27,270
SteveF

This recent paper from Erlandson looks to be well worth a read. I'm going to have a look so I can refresh my memory a bit:

http://www.fsl.orst.edu/wpg/events/W...%20America.pdf
  topbottom
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #1331055  /  #27
Sugriva

: Sep 2008
: L.A.
: 10,615
Sugriva

:
[mod]a frankly astoundingly wide ranging derail moved here[/mod]
Hey! I think my post belongs here in this thread andf not the derailed one with Marduk and Rathpig.
http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...47#post1329947
  topbottom
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #1331058  /  #28
SteveF
Pleistocene person

: London, UK.
: 27,270
SteveF

sorry, moved back!
  topbottom
03-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #1331438  /  #29
sunstone

: Mar 2011
: 1
sunstone

Check out Heyerdahl "American Indians in the Pacific" 1952 book.
  topbottom
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #1332235  /  #30
el jefe
TR Pundit

: Oct 2008
: 30,945
el jefe

is that about kontiki and all that?
  topbottom
03-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #1335220  /  #31
Marduk
Dragon killer

: Feb 2011
: Newbury, Berkshire, England, Western Europe, Earth, Milky way galaxy
: 174
Marduk

:
is that about kontiki and all that?
the book is subtitled "The theory behind the Kon-Tiki Expedition"
04-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #2639092  /  #32
sculptor

: Oct 2014
: 1
sculptor

Australasians
may have come first (oldest skulls look austrolasian)
along the coasts north then east then south
mesa verde has (2015)potential new dates to 18500bp
kelp was a large part of the people's diet there.
  topbottom
04-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #2639204  /  #33
Dave Hawkins

: Kansas City, MO Area
: 29,025
Dave Hawkins

:
:
Last time I checked pretty much every native legend about travelling to the Americas claimed it was by canoe.
last time i checked native legend was useless as a source of information, especially > 13,000 years after the fact.

<snip>
I would dispute that ... http://truthmatters.info/the-budding...-geomythology/
  topbottom
04-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #2639209  /  #34
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell

: Lori's Place.
: 32,022
RAFH

:
:
:
Last time I checked pretty much every native legend about travelling to the Americas claimed it was by canoe.
last time i checked native legend was useless as a source of information, especially > 13,000 years after the fact.

<snip>
Pimping your blog again, eh Bluffy?

When are you going to learn that if you want to discuss something here, you have to discuss it here?
04-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #2639230  /  #35
osmanthus
Bent member

: Jun 2008
: Australia
: 7,101
osmanthus

Nah. He's scared to. Had his arse kicked too many times.
  topbottom
04-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #2639243  /  #36
Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

:
:
:
:

<snip>

When are you going to learn that if you want to discuss something here, you have to discuss it here?
Too lazy to click and read, eh? Ok here ... I'll spoon feed you ... would you lie that food pre-chewed too?

:
More and more geoscientists are willing to combine their work with such stories these days, in a budding discipline called geomythology. Volcanologist Floyd McCoy of the University of Hawaii, Manoa, says discussing myth has traditionally been “a good way to sink your own credibility”; it can put you on the list with flaky Atlantologists and other amateur zealots. But, says McCoy, “I’d be a fool to write it all off. There is a new realization that some myths have something to say.” Myths can sometimes alert researchers to previously unheeded geohazards; in other cases, where science has demonstrated the danger, legends “enrich the record” and reinforce the fact that people lie in harm’s way, says paleoseismologist Brian Atwater of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in Seattle, who has spearheaded many studies of seismic events in the Pacific Northwest. The trick is teasing out which myths carry kernels of truth that can be connected to hard data.
  topbottom
04-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #2639331  /  #37
RAFH

RAFH

:
:
:
:
:

<snip>

Too lazy to click and read, eh? Ok here ... I'll spoon feed you ... would you lie that food pre-chewed too?
No, Bluffy. But I don't have any reason to go to your woeful web site.

I could ask the same question of you, are you too lazy to copy and paste the materials you are referring to in the place where the conversation is going on. It's a common responsibility of those that make claims about anything to support those claims, and not by simply linking to some opinion piece by some uneducated, untrained and unexperienced narcissistic DK posterboy.

:
:
More and more geoscientists are willing to combine their work with such stories these days, in a budding discipline called geomythology. Volcanologist Floyd McCoy of the University of Hawaii, Manoa, says discussing myth has traditionally been “a good way to sink your own credibility”; it can put you on the list with flaky Atlantologists and other amateur zealots. But, says McCoy, “I’d be a fool to write it all off. There is a new realization that some myths have something to say.” Myths can sometimes alert researchers to previously unheeded geohazards; in other cases, where science has demonstrated the danger, legends “enrich the record” and reinforce the fact that people lie in harm’s way, says paleoseismologist Brian Atwater of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in Seattle, who has spearheaded many studies of seismic events in the Pacific Northwest. The trick is teasing out which myths carry kernels of truth that can be connected to hard data.
So, Bluffy, where did Floyd McCoy say "discussing myth has traditionally been "a good way to sink your own credibility": it can put you on the list with flaky Atlantologists and other amateur zealots," Oh, by the way, Floyd McCoy is not of the University of Hawaii, Manoa. He's an instructor at Windward Community College, which is administered by the UH but a separate school with far different missions. UH is a full university, offering degrees from Bachelors through to PhDs in a large number of areas: marine biology, astronomy, etc. WCC is a two year community school, though often students there go on to UH or other schools.

And where does McCoy say "I'd be a fool to write it all off." and how does that intimate that all myth contains factual information, especially when interpreted literally? Where does McCoy say "I’d be a fool to write it all off. There is a new realization that some myths have something to say.” And do you see that phrase, "all off". Which most normal people would interpret to mean there is possibly some truth to some parts of some myths, not that all parts of all myths are completely true. But you do have a problem with that all-some-none issue, don't you. You should try to work on that.

Where does Brian Atwater say "Myths can sometimes alert researchers to previously unheeded geohazards; in other cases, where science has demonstrated the danger, legends “enrich the record” and reinforce the fact that people lie in harm’s way." Remember, I specifically asked you to include any references or citations within whatever material you were quoting. Just quoting something in your silly blog is meaningless unless you reference where you got that information and provide the citation and link. You've been told this innumerable times. Why can't you get this simple concept?

And I note the last sentence you quote: "The trick is teasing out which myths carry kernels of truth that can be connected to hard data." Yes, that is the trick. As I stated earlier, not all parts of all myths carry kernels of truth. Indeed, I'm guessing this was an article written by some hack because it's unusual to contemporary scientists to talk about "truth".

What a bluffoon.
04-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #2639382  /  #38
Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

Lol
  topbottom
04-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #2639384  /  #39
Fenrir
ruff

: Sep 2010
: Up the creek
: 1,790
Fenrir

And not just kernals. Some myths carry the whole cob.
I think I speak for all non-believers when I say that the only reason we limit our sex to human beings is that animals run too fast. Have you ever tried to tap a caribou? I don't care how hot they are with their little furry behinds — it's not worth all of the running. That's why most one-legged women are married to atheists. - Scott Adams
  topbottom
04-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #2639392  /  #40
VoxRat

: 46,746
VoxRat

:
Lol
Because...

... Why?

topbottom
04-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #2639403  /  #41
RAFH

RAFH

:
Lol
Is that all you have to say for yourself?

I agree your behavior is laughable. But then you are a bluffoon, the Bluffoon of Bluffoonylvania.
04-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #2639411  /  #42
Faid
just as bad

: 22,052
Faid

Dave has stated his opinion on the issue. Therefore, the issue has been resolved. No further discussion is necessary.
04-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #2639496  /  #43
RAFH

RAFH

:
Dave has stated his opinion on the issue. Therefore, the issue has been resolved. No further discussion is necessary.
Does that mean he'll shut up?

Oh noes, not that, what'll I do for lulz?

TalkRational Archive > Discussion > History, Anthropological Sciences and Humanities

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.14496 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,353KB
  • Queries Executed 60 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below