Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > The Soap Opera > TSO Archive

TSO Archive Older TSO threads which are no longer relevant to current operations and complaints will be moved to this forum periodically

02-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #1286574  /  #51
Preno
TRIGGER WARNING
Resident Overlord

: Mar 2008
: 10,991
Preno

:
:
:
I agree it's not acceptable.
So what are you going to do about it? How does your agreeing that it is not acceptable actually manifest itself?
So far it manifests itself in my telling you that's my take on the matter. Thus far anyway, it seems that I'm in the minority.
Does it? Based on what?
:
I suppose a more proactive administrator would have just pushed the ban button, let that become a "fact on the ground", and see what everyone else did about it.
No, a more proactive administrator would have told Bart to refrain from making such threats in the future, for example.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #1286575  /  #52
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

: 44,650
Bartholomew Roberts

:
:
Posting and moderation at TR:

TR is a moderated board. Moderators act as hosts of their forums, and moderation is chiefly done in the interests of:
  • Keeping discussions on track
  • Maintaining an appropriate standard of civility.
  • Fixing stray tags, performing minor edits at the request of the poster, removing duplicate posts etc
Different areas of the board are for different ranges of topics, and levels of tolerance for derails and incivility will vary depending on the area of the board. Posts that are inappropriate where they are may be moved to a different part of the board. No posts will be edited or hidden unless they contain illegal material or malware, but some threads may be locked to further posting. Administrators will try to implement a forum structure that maximizes members' ability to tailor the board to their preferences.

There are some civility standards at TR. We will not tolerate repeated abuse and harassment. Swearing is allowed. Mock insults traded in a friendly context are also allowed, but if the person addressed objects you must stop immediately. You must also stop immediately if asked to by a member of staff. Feeling "provoked" does not mitigate this. If you feel provoked then complain, do not respond in a way that breaks the rules.

The following rules are offered as a guide to what is expected at TR. Staff will be expected to use their discretion in grey areas, and insults that are indirectly implied are treated the same as those that are directly stated. However, civility and relevance are hard to define and we will make errors of both omission and commission. If you have a problem with a staff decision, please let us know.

Harassment:
  • Do not harass other members. This includes willful and repeated and unwanted targeting of another member in posts, threads, private messages, signatures, avatars, or in member profiles and comments. If asked to stop by the targeted member and/or staff, do so immediately.
Insults:
Board wide:
  • Do not tell somone that you would like them to die or harm to come to them.
  • Do not make derogatory comments about a member's sexuality, appearance, number of friends, ethnicity, gender, mental state or condition, or physical condition.
  • Do not make derogatory comments about a member's family or loved ones.
Here you go, damian the WORST elf. (Why was it you changed your name again?)
don't even try to quote the charter at me, Febble.

:
  • Evolution and Origins - Argumentative, Technical
In case you don't know what that means:

:
  • Technical: Moderation for derails, off-topic posts, and general joking around will be light, but will be hands-on if needed to manage lengthy derails.
:
  • Argumentative: Specific accusations (e.g. liar, stupid, troll) must be supported. More generic insults are not allowed.
now the point was made about a derail which is true, my post is a derail. I was going off about something completely unrelated. However, it did not cause an extensive derail. I won't argue with the moving of the post for that reason since apparently it would have caused a massive derail.

ANYWAYS your point doesn't matter since I didn't insult that (at this point I am pausing to check which forum I am posting in before I give some words in order to refer to Dave Hawkins. TSO, excellent. Argumentative) moronic gibbering idiot (if you need evidence to support my specific accusations, please see Dave's stance on creationism).
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1286576  /  #53
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
The People's Admin

: Apr 2008
: 50,099
schneibler elf

what threats

3) jerome da gnome
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #1286579  /  #54
Preno
TRIGGER WARNING
Resident Overlord

Preno

FYI those descriptions ("Specific accusations (e.g. liar, stupid, troll) must be supported. More generic insults are not allowed") clearly have no bearing on how things are actually moderated. When was the last time a post calling someone stupid was moved because it was "unsupported" or because it contained an insult that was "generic"?
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #1286582  /  #55
Dave Hawkins

: Kansas City, MO Area
: 29,025
Dave Hawkins

I'm telling you guys ... you need to ban this guy permanently. This is serious business.

And no, you're not being a wimp and bending to the will of the idiot creationist if you ban him. All ideological disputes should be set aside when considering this case. What we're talking about here is law and order.

Last edited by Dave Hawkins; 02-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #1286583  /  #56
Pavlov's Dog
Talk Rational A-Lister
Ambassador

: Annapolis, MD
: 25,454
Pavlov's Dog

:
Still and all, even though this was an obvious attempt at humor, it isn't funny.
I agree with both parts of this statements. Dave's reaction with threatening to call the attorney general, however, was hilarious.

Any private messages sent to this member will not automatically be considered confidential.

Last edited by Pavlov's Dog; 02-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #1286586  /  #57
ravenok
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

: Norton's Empire
: 81,531
ravenok

* counts the number of lawyers posting itt -- so far *
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #1286590  /  #58
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
The People's Admin

schneibler elf

:
FYI those descriptions ("Specific accusations (e.g. liar, stupid, troll) must be supported. More generic insults are not allowed") clearly have no bearing on how things are actually moderated. When was the last time a post calling someone stupid was moved because it was "unsupported" or because it contained an insult that was "generic"?
when is the last time "Mock insults traded in a friendly context are also allowed, but if the person addressed objects you must stop immediately" was enforced?

3) jerome da gnome
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #1286593  /  #59
The Swamp
It's dark in here. Damn dark.

: Jun 2008
: 1,027
The Swamp

:
I'm telling you guys ... you need to ban this guy permanently. This is serious business.
How about we ban Bart and Dave to the compost heap with Pahu?

In the business we call this a win-win.
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #1286596  /  #60
The Swamp

The Swamp

:

And no, you're not being a wimp and bending to the will of the idiot creationist if you ban him. All ideological disputes should be set aside when considering this case. What we're talking about here is law and order.
You are serously a fuck-wit. Bart was obviously joking. bad joke, good joke, it was a fucking joke.

So fuck off.
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #1286601  /  #61
TestyCalibrate
Someone oughta fix the door
dummy

: Sep 2008
: I've mistaken blueberries for blueberries!
: 20,320
TestyCalibrate

:

Dave, this isn't helping.
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #1286603  /  #62
halii
Arya horseface
Mahjong - Wonderful Lake Champion, Bola Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion

: 18,484
halii

:
:
:
Posting and moderation at TR:

TR is a moderated board. Moderators act as hosts of their forums, and moderation is chiefly done in the interests of:
  • Keeping discussions on track
  • Maintaining an appropriate standard of civility.
  • Fixing stray tags, performing minor edits at the request of the poster, removing duplicate posts etc
Different areas of the board are for different ranges of topics, and levels of tolerance for derails and incivility will vary depending on the area of the board. Posts that are inappropriate where they are may be moved to a different part of the board. No posts will be edited or hidden unless they contain illegal material or malware, but some threads may be locked to further posting. Administrators will try to implement a forum structure that maximizes members' ability to tailor the board to their preferences.

There are some civility standards at TR. We will not tolerate repeated abuse and harassment. Swearing is allowed. Mock insults traded in a friendly context are also allowed, but if the person addressed objects you must stop immediately. You must also stop immediately if asked to by a member of staff. Feeling "provoked" does not mitigate this. If you feel provoked then complain, do not respond in a way that breaks the rules.

The following rules are offered as a guide to what is expected at TR. Staff will be expected to use their discretion in grey areas, and insults that are indirectly implied are treated the same as those that are directly stated. However, civility and relevance are hard to define and we will make errors of both omission and commission. If you have a problem with a staff decision, please let us know.

Harassment:
  • Do not harass other members. This includes willful and repeated and unwanted targeting of another member in posts, threads, private messages, signatures, avatars, or in member profiles and comments. If asked to stop by the targeted member and/or staff, do so immediately.
Insults:
Board wide:
  • Do not tell somone that you would like them to die or harm to come to them.
  • Do not make derogatory comments about a member's sexuality, appearance, number of friends, ethnicity, gender, mental state or condition, or physical condition.
  • Do not make derogatory comments about a member's family or loved ones.
Here you go, damian the WORST elf. (Why was it you changed your name again?)
because someone actually did carry out a real life threat you stupid retard
I just want to note that the person who did all that crap is still a member in good standing of TR and was not punished in any way for attempting (pathetically, albeit) to ruin damian's career by reporting him and making accusations that were, indeed, complete lies.

I don't know if I would consider that post to be harassment, but I don't read E&O very often, and I don't know what bart has been up to in that forum. I was unaware he had also made a phone call to dave, so I feel quite out of the loop in regards to all of this.

However from a legal perspective I'm sure we have all resolved that what bart just said is not illegal, in the US at least.

From my reading of that post, Bart didn't make a death threat. Maybe it would fall under intimidation, but we've already discussed that shizzle saying "are you going to fix this, or am i going to have to buy a gun and a bus ticket" was neither intimidation nor harassment nor a death threat. I think this is sort of in a similar vein.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #1286605  /  #63
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned

Bartholomew Roberts

:

topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #1286621  /  #64
Preno
TRIGGER WARNING
Resident Overlord

Preno

:
:
when is the last time "Mock insults traded in a friendly context are also allowed, but if the person addressed objects you must stop immediately" was enforced?
About the same time, I guess, why?
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #1286626  /  #65
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
The People's Admin

schneibler elf

that was for febble's benefit

3) jerome da gnome
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #1286634  /  #66
Dave Hawkins

: Kansas City, MO Area
: 29,025
Dave Hawkins

THE SLIPPERY SLOPE

[Fictional but somewhat plausible scenario]
2011 - Admins on internet forums are lenient on people who make posts about killing people in cold blood
2012 - Various government agencies, being underfunded anyway, stop prosecuting internet crimes
2013 - Anti-Christian hate groups start killing Christians and largely get away with it
2014 - A new law is enacted which labels Christians as "subversive to society"
2015 - Football stadiums accross the nation add a new event to generate more revenue - Lions Eating Christians

Before you laugh, stop and think ... did the Romans just wake up one day all of a sudden and say "Hey, let's start feeding Christians to lions!"

No. There were most certainly steps leading up to it.

Where do you want society to be in 20 years?
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1286640  /  #67
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
The People's Admin

schneibler elf

jesus christ

eta here is my fictional scenario

2011 stfu
... no one cares

3) jerome da gnome
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1286641  /  #68
Preno
TRIGGER WARNING
Resident Overlord

Preno

:
Before you laugh, stop and think ...
Before you post, stop.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1286642  /  #69
ravenok
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

: Norton's Empire
: 81,531
ravenok

TR - on the precipice of teh leading edge of the new lion conservation program.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1286643  /  #70
Bartholomew Roberts
Banned

Bartholomew Roberts

topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #1286647  /  #71
Koyaanisqatsi
literally plausibly true

: 4,915
Koyaanisqatsi

:
Before you laugh, stop and think ...

Lock and load, EAC!
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #1286654  /  #72
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

: Dec 2010
: 26,430
buttershug

Why would any one make a death threat in the States?
It seems all you have to do is imply it instead of out and out state it and voila it's not a death threat.
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #1286683  /  #73
VoxRat

: 46,746
VoxRat

:
...No, a more proactive administrator would have told Bart to refrain from making such threats in the future, for example.
Yeah. I think we did that. But just in case:

Bart: stop making threats, veiled threats, implied threats, requests to dare you to come and kill them, etc.

Can we have your agreement that you will stop doing that?
  topbottom
02-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #1286698  /  #74
TestyCalibrate
Someone oughta fix the door
dummy

: Sep 2008
: I've mistaken blueberries for blueberries!
: 20,320
TestyCalibrate

:
Why would any one make a death threat in the States?
It seems all you have to do is imply it instead of out and out state it and voila it's not a death threat.
have you ever seen the godfather?
02-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #1286710  /  #75
The Swamp

The Swamp

:
THE SLIPPERY SLOPE

[Fictional but somewhat plausible scenario]
2011 - Admins on internet forums are lenient on people who make posts about killing people in cold blood
2012 - Various government agencies, being underfunded anyway, stop prosecuting internet crimes
2013 - Anti-Christian hate groups start killing Christians and largely get away with it
2014 - A new law is enacted which labels Christians as "subversive to society"
2015 - Football stadiums accross the nation add a new event to generate more revenue - Lions Eating Christians

Before you laugh, stop and think ... did the Romans just wake up one day all of a sudden and say "Hey, let's start feeding Christians to lions!"

No. There were most certainly steps leading up to it.

Where do you want society to be in 20 years?
Best.

Post.

Ever.

TalkRational Archive > Town Hall > The Soap Opera > TSO Archive

!let's dance, tritter, vieri vesi vieri

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.23589 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,671KB
  • Queries Executed 76 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD