Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List RSS
  TalkRational Archive > The Rat Ring > Rat Ring Proposals

Rat Ring Proposals Propose formal debates/discussions and discuss terms.

09-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #2563902  /  #26
Lion IRC

: Aug 2010
: 1,750
Lion IRC

Democracy. What a bummer.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #2563908  /  #27
Testycalibrated
incredibad
Age Of War Normal Champion

: Feb 2010
: commensurate
: 10,784
Testycalibrated

:
:
I am fine with the conditions. When do you want to start? Also, admins, can I get mod powers in the debate forum to move errant posts to the peanut gallery?
You can't Mod your own debate thread.
I don't think there's really any reason not to. I just want to be able to move any non debate posts out of the thread. If it seems wrong, no problem.
Sen. McCaskill: "It Is Unacceptable For Anybody To Refer To Hillary Clinton As A Corporate Whore"
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #2563909  /  #28
Testycalibrated
incredibad

Testycalibrated

:
:
Gods (probably) exists vs. God (probably) does not exist.
That could work if we ever find a theist that can understand probability.
I am fine with the conditions.
Sen. McCaskill: "It Is Unacceptable For Anybody To Refer To Hillary Clinton As A Corporate Whore"
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #2563911  /  #29
punkforchrist

: Jun 2009
: Texas
: 103
punkforchrist

:
Also,
:
I'll do it. First define god. We have to use an agreed upon definition.

Is god personal? Can god interact with individuals through language? Can god physically intervene in the universe?
I think this is going to be important. I'm not sure until I see your op, but just in case. Is that ok?
This might be problematic. While I'm a Christian theist, I'm only arguing for theism proper, e.g. deism. Can God interact with individuals through language? That depends on what you mean. God communicates to individuals through what has been made. However, I won't be arguing for miracles, e.g. the resurrection of Jesus. Maybe we can debate that at another time. The arguments I'm defending presuppose that God intervenes in the universe. The First Way alone necessitates that He is the source of change.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #2563916  /  #30
Testycalibrated
incredibad

Testycalibrated

Sounds good.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #2563920  /  #31
woof
-

: Feb 2009
: 8,329
woof

:
:
Also,
:

Is god personal? Can god interact with individuals through language? Can god physically intervene in the universe?
I think this is going to be important. I'm not sure until I see your op, but just in case. Is that ok?
This might be problematic. While I'm a Christian theist, I'm only arguing for theism proper, e.g. deism. Can God interact with individuals through language? That depends on what you mean. God communicates to individuals through what has been made. However, I won't be arguing for miracles, e.g. the resurrection of Jesus. Maybe we can debate that at another time. The arguments I'm defending presuppose that God intervenes in the universe. The First Way alone necessitates that He is the source of change.
Here is a clue if you want knowledge, and not just the ass-water like what you get from "philosophers" like Tommie Aqua-arse. Don't pre-suppose anything.
If you believe in something, try to disprove it.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #2563924  /  #32
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

:
Sounds good.
Care to start on Thursday? We can take a week between posts. Does that work for you? By the way, much of my opening statement I've already stated, but not all of it. Is that okay?
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 12:48 AM   #2563925  /  #33
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

:
:
:
Also,
:

Here is a clue if you want knowledge, and not just the ass-water like what you get from "philosophers" like Tommie Aqua-arse. Don't pre-suppose anything.
It's funny that you're trying to get under my skin. Good luck.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #2563933  /  #34
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

Testy, would you be okay if we changed the number of the rounds? I'm thinking:

Opening statement: 2,000 words
First rebuttal: 1,000 words
Second rebuttal: 1,000 words
Conclusion: 750 words
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #2563995  /  #35
OHSU

: Apr 2009
: 6,265
OHSU

There is no evidence for any god. (Evidence is a body of facts that is exclusively concordant with and thus supportive of that one conclusion over any other.)

When there is no evidence for something, there is no reason to believe in it, which is a pretty good reason not to believe in it.
09-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #2563998  /  #36
woof
-

woof

:
:
:
:
Also,
:

Not trying to get under your skin, or anybody else's. I am just mentioning the rules of discourse.
Pontification is not a route to knowledge, merely self-delusion and the hope of deluding others. That is what apologists like Thomas Aquinas & Bishop Anselm did.
Any sincere debate, any sincere quest for knowledge will deliberately try to minimize assumptions, examine all available data and argument, and conduct honest testing of ideas.
God exists therefore...wank, wank, wank.....is not discourse, it is pseudo-intellectual masturbation. HTH.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #2564000  /  #37
Testycalibrated
incredibad

Testycalibrated

:
Testy, would you be okay if we changed the number of the rounds? I'm thinking:

Opening statement: 2,000 words
First rebuttal: 1,000 words
Second rebuttal: 1,000 words
Conclusion: 750 words
Sure. I'll probably use almost all the words allowed no matter how long.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 05:06 AM   #2564002  /  #38
Testycalibrated
incredibad

Testycalibrated

:
:
Sounds good.
Care to start on Thursday? We can take a week between posts. Does that work for you? By the way, much of my opening statement I've already stated, but not all of it. Is that okay?
That sounds good. I'm not sure how I will address the topic yet so go ahead and make the case you want to make. I'll address the topic on whatever terms work for you.

And, woof, aqua-arse? What are you, three?
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #2564014  /  #39
Lion IRC

Lion IRC

:
:
:
Also,
:

woof! RELAX.
He is doing his opponent a favor.
Better they should both - for the sake of the argument/debate - agree in advance on some presuppositions about the nature of the divine entity being discussed. PFC is stating the bleeding obvious that it should be presupposed that if/since God exists, then evidence of same would presumably involve at least some intervention (theophany).
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #2564056  /  #40
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

: Dec 2010
: 26,430
buttershug

:
:
:
:
Also,
:

woof! RELAX.
Better they should both - for the sake of the argument/debate - agree in advance on some presuppositions about the nature of the divine entity being discussed. PFC is stating the bleeding obvious that it should be presupposed that if/since God exists, then evidence of same would presumably involve at least some intervention (theophany).
But one can only conclude God with pre-suppositions.
If you want Truth then you don't pre-suppose.
If you want God then you must pre-suppose.

Robert Anton Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YQ24i1wP0
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #2564093  /  #41
woof
-

woof

:
:
:
Sounds good.
That sounds good. I'm not sure how I will address the topic yet so go ahead and make the case you want to make. I'll address the topic on whatever terms work for you.

And, woof, aqua-arse? What are you, three?
Aquinas was a murdering son-of-a-bitch who tortured and killed who knows how many "heretics", and all the while imagined himself to be some sort of saint. Catholics to this day worship him as if he was the alpha and omega of intellect and humanity. I see him as no better than Himmler. He was a butcher. He deserves no respect.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #2564096  /  #42
borealis
cruel but fair
Admin

: Oct 2008
: Canada
: 27,030
borealis

Guys I haven't messed with it ever, but isn't the Rat ring set up so that only the debating pair can post itt?
09-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #2564126  /  #43
SMS
I'm a Sexy and BadAss Catholic

: Sep 2008
: blowmevillle
: 10,351
SMS

:
:
:
:
:
Also,
:

Not trying to get under your skin, or anybody else's. I am just mentioning the rules of discourse.
Pontification is not a route to knowledge, merely self-delusion and the hope of deluding others. That is what apologists like Thomas Aquinas & Bishop Anselm did.
Any sincere debate, any sincere quest for knowledge will deliberately try to minimize assumptions, examine all available data and argument, and conduct honest testing of ideas.
God exists therefore...wank, wank, wank.....is not discourse, it is pseudo-intellectual masturbation. HTH.
There is no argument offered by Aquinas for the existence of God that begins with the idea that God exists and infers stuff from it.
09-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #2564127  /  #44
ToThePoint
search & destroy

: World.Wide.Web Global >•< Mercenary
: 8,695
ToThePoint

:
Guys I haven't messed with it ever, but isn't the Rat ring set up so that only the debating pair can post itt?
Yes of course, only the 2 debate participants post in the debate thread.

A separate Peanut Gallery thread is started for anyone else to chime in.
09-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #2564129  /  #45
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

It's probably best not to reply to woof if he's going to behave like that. We have to pick our battles. And, I'm sure he'll say something snarky to me next.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #2564131  /  #46
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

Testy, we're starting on Thursday, right?
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #2564135  /  #47
SMS
I'm a Sexy and BadAss Catholic

: Sep 2008
: blowmevillle
: 10,351
SMS

:
:
:
:
Also,
:

woof! RELAX.

No, not exactly. PFC might have spoke unclearly here.

If this argument is the first way, then God's existence will be argued as a causal precondition for there being any change at all, that for any change, God's existence is a necessary, causal precondition for such change to exist and subsist moment from moment. Thus, from the premise that there is change, as PFC will argue it, we can deduce God's existence and some sort of causal interaction with that change. Does God "interact" with the world according to this argument? Yes, in a sense, but He is more like a flute player who blows into the flute, keeping the music going from moment to moment than interacting in it in a way like you or me. This is not to say that God couldnt interact in it in such a way, but only that the argument doesn't aim to show that.

In any case, there is no need to presume that if God exists, then he interacts with the world. It will be shown that if there is any change at all, and there is, then God is keeps that change going, which implies a sort of interaction.
09-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #2564168  /  #48
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

Right, the First Way isn't the kalam argument. This isn't about originating causation, but about sustaining causation. It's like the difference between the crew that builds a house and the foundation that sustains it.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #2564169  /  #49
punkforchrist

punkforchrist

Maybe a better analogy for the First Way is a spring that keeps the gears of a watch moving. By the way, the First Way is about change in general, and not just movement from one location to another.
  topbottom
09-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #2564172  /  #50
Lion IRC

Lion IRC

:
:
Gods (probably) exists vs. God (probably) does not exist.
That could work if we ever find a theist that can understand probability.
You mean someone like Kurt Gödel or Thomas Bayes?
  topbottom

TalkRational Archive > The Rat Ring > Rat Ring Proposals

lie_on_eye_arse_c, loin_irk, loony_irk, lying irk again, shut up woof

X vBulletin 3.8.6 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.23108 seconds
  • Memory Usage 4,517KB
  • Queries Executed 72 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start