Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational Archive  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational Archive > Community > TR Embassy and Animal Shelter

Notices

TR Embassy and Animal Shelter For inter-forum relations, basenji appreciation and squirrels. Neutral territory.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #2629693  /  #26
Old Dan

Old Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticTank View Post
http://www.catgifpage.com/
haw haw, 38 pages! I aint never gonna finish.
Old Dan is offline   topbottom
Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #2629826  /  #27
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmanthus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dan View Post
Frankly, I dunno why ya feel it's so important to risk yer cat's life instead of keepin the cat inside where it's safe.
For exactly the same reason that I wouldn't want anyone shutting me inside permanently to "keep me safe".

Tell you what: start with yourself. After the first five years you can tell us how great it is.
Yer actin like I aint never had no cats or aint never kept 'em inside when I did have 'em.

I used to let my cats roam around outside, but I done lost too many cats to the roads, son. With the last pair of cats I had, one of 'em got hit and survived, but with brain damage, and a dead arm that atrophied over the years. I aint never let neither one of 'em outside after that, 'specially when I heard that Animal Control hunts outside cats and takes 'em to the shelter to get their $100.
No, I aint acting like anything of the sort. I'm simply answering your question, and suggesting that if you think being shut inside permanently is the best way to live you could test that theory yourself.

And pointing out that the situation over here is different. The laws are different. The ecosystem is different. Over here, cats are the predators.
osmanthus is offline   topbottom
Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #2629833  /  #28
VoxRat

VoxRat

I don't know why people are getting worked up about this.

Oh... wait...
VoxRat is offline   topbottom
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #2629837  /  #29
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

By the way, this turned up here recently. Don't know if you have the same problem over there, but wouldn't be at all surprised.

Some supermarket cat food brands may cause 'severe illness', study finds

Quote:
A number of commercial pet food brands sold in supermarkets may cause "severe illness or injury" to adult cats, a Sydney University study has found.

The peer reviewed study, published in the Australian Veterinary Journal, tested 20 supermarket or pet store products.

Nine of them did not adhere to the Australian standards in regards to their "guaranteed analysis" claims.

Eight products did not adhere to the standards in regards to nutrient content for adult cats because they had too much, or too little, protein and fat.

The study found some of these products could cause lameness, diabetes, obesity or anaemia.

Neither the authors of the study, the University or the Australian Veterinary Journal would release the names of the offending brands of pet food.
Which was closely followed by: Cat food study leads to ethics overhaul at University of Sydney veterinary faculty

Quote:
The ABC has obtained documents which reveal The University of Sydney's Faculty of Veterinary Science is conducting an overhaul of its corporate sponsorships following the ABC's exposure of corporate deals between the Veterinary Faculty and large pet food companies Hills and Royal Canin.

The draft document, obtained by the ABC, is titled "Faculty of Veterinary Science Local Provisions for Sponsorship" and acknowledges "gifts and sponsorship, no matter how small, have been shown to influence recipients".

The document aims to "ensure freedom from bias or inappropriate influences that might otherwise occur as a consequence of support from external entities".

Earlier this week, ABC's Lateline program questioned whether a university study into harmful cat food withheld company names of product tested to protect corporate sponsors.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #2629842  /  #30
Old Dan

Old Dan

Aw, that's sad, yall.

Some pet food recalls are posted here: http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/...lswithdrawals/

But there's only a few this year, and none are of popular commercial brands, or nothin.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #2629965  /  #31
SkepticTank
White Trash
Amazon Race Champion, Deuces Solitaire Champion, Mahjong - Valley in the mountains Champion, Darts 501 Champion, Harbor Fishing Champion, Bloons Tower Defense Champion, Mario & Friends Tower Defense Champion, Donkey Kong Ice Adventure Champion, Flying Gonzo Champion Mod: C&T, TIH

SkepticTank

There was a problem a few years ago with some dog treats from China.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #2630321  /  #32
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

Made from dogs?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #2630371  /  #33
SkepticTank
White Trash
Amazon Race Champion, Deuces Solitaire Champion, Mahjong - Valley in the mountains Champion, Darts 501 Champion, Harbor Fishing Champion, Bloons Tower Defense Champion, Mario & Friends Tower Defense Champion, Donkey Kong Ice Adventure Champion, Flying Gonzo Champion Mod: C&T, TIH

SkepticTank

Chicken allegedly, but who knows?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #2630499  /  #34
Old Dan

Old Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticTank View Post
There was a problem a few years ago with some dog treats from China.
Yeah, that mighta been what killed my lil chihuahua, I'd been feedin her them cheap Chinese chicken treats, the same ones that got recalled. lil Salsa Sue was in fine health fer an 11-year-old purebred, but one day she just started coughin, and struggled to breathe... it was a Sunday night so we took her to the emergency vet, where they said "yer dog has congestive heart failure and trying to save her life would cost ya upwards of $3000." So we had to put her down.

The Chinese chicken dog treat problem was in the news 'round about the same time, and I blamed myself, 'cause I reckoned there was a connection there.

RIP Salsa
Old 03-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #2630511  /  #35
thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

It's always sad but personally I would rather have them go quick then a drawn out process that takes months or years.
That's how my pom went, just one weekend kind of down, then gone. Pretty healthy up to that point, was going a little blind, and a little stiff in the joints but pretty good for being 15 years old.
thatsneakyguy is offline   topbottom
Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 AM   #2630905  /  #36
Old Dan

Old Dan

Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #2631897  /  #37
Bilirubin
YOU HEINOUS TOOL
Bejeweled 2 Champion Adjunct

Bilirubin

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0323142328.htm

Bilirubin is offline   topbottom
Old 03-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #2632079  /  #39
thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsneakyguy View Post
Cat builds mini igloo after Colorado snowstorm - YouTube
Kind of think he was trying to play with the snowballs, not digging a tunnel.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #2632165  /  #40
Mike PSS

Mike PSS

More cute cat gifs needed ....

Mike PSS is offline   topbottom
Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #2632301  /  #41
meepmeep
TR Death Overlord
Admin

meepmeep

Quote:
No, I aint acting like anything of the sort. I'm simply answering your question, and suggesting that if you think being shut inside permanently is the best way to live you could test that theory yourself.
Pretending that humans and cats are identical is dumb. Most cats can live perfectly happy lives indoors, and keeping them inside is usually (though not always) the most humane option.

I know there are cultural differences as far as keeping cats goes, but this idea that keeping cats inside is cruel is simply fucking stupid.

Quote:
And pointing out that the situation over here is different. The laws are different. The ecosystem is different. Over here, cats are the predators.
It's not so different that outdoor cats magically live longer than indoor cats and magically don't spread disease. The vast majority of people I've encountered who let their cats outside aren't vigilant about vaccination and disease prevention, and I doubt Australians and Brits are somehow surpassing Americans in compliance on that end.

Quote:
Which was closely followed by: Cat food study leads to ethics overhaul at University of Sydney veterinary faculty

Quote:
The ABC has obtained documents which reveal The University of Sydney's Faculty of Veterinary Science is conducting an overhaul of its corporate sponsorships following the ABC's exposure of corporate deals between the Veterinary Faculty and large pet food companies Hills and Royal Canin.

The draft document, obtained by the ABC, is titled "Faculty of Veterinary Science Local Provisions for Sponsorship" and acknowledges "gifts and sponsorship, no matter how small, have been shown to influence recipients".

The document aims to "ensure freedom from bias or inappropriate influences that might otherwise occur as a consequence of support from external entities".

Earlier this week, ABC's Lateline program questioned whether a university study into harmful cat food withheld company names of product tested to protect corporate sponsors.
Hills and RC aren't really "supermarket" brands, and both companies actually test their final products consistently, performing nutrient analysis of every batch of food that goes out. This is especially important for prescription formulas, but they do it for over-the-counter lines, too. I highly doubt Hill's and RC will be on the list in that study if the names are ever released.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #2632305  /  #42
osmanthus
Bent member

osmanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepmeep View Post
Quote:
Pretending that humans and cats are identical is dumb. Most cats can live perfectly happy lives indoors, and keeping them inside is usually (though not always) the most humane option.

I know there are cultural differences as far as keeping cats goes, but this idea that keeping cats inside is cruel is simply fucking stupid.
If you give cats a chance to go outside, they'll usually take it. The evidence indicates that cats disagree with your assertion that they are perfectly happy indoors.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #2632499  /  #43
Old Dan

Old Dan

Look how dangerous life is fer an indoor cat, yall.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #2632504  /  #44
nostrum
just words

nostrum

^ that's horrible to watch
nostrum is offline   topbottom
Old 03-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #2632518  /  #45
borealis
cruel but fair
Admin

borealis

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meepmeep View Post
Quote:

If you give cats a chance to go outside, they'll usually take it. The evidence indicates that cats disagree with your assertion that they are perfectly happy indoors.
Well, not all cats. My sister's spoiled rotten cats are indoor cats that have no interest in being outdoors. The one time one of them did go out (something startled her and the door was open), she ran about three metres from the steps and froze in place, apparently terrified, until my sister picked her up and carried her inside. Now she won't go near the door.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #2632526  /  #46
Mike PSS

Mike PSS

Cruel and unusual cat brain washing.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #2632535  /  #47
thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

Old 03-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #2632536  /  #48
thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #2632544  /  #49
Mike PSS

Mike PSS

Cats are only sweetness and light because they are hiding something ...

Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #2632547  /  #50
thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

I always thought Ernie was a bottom.

TalkRational Archive > Community > TR Embassy and Animal Shelter

Tags
cats, cats rule! dogs drool!!, thread now about dogs