Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational - Just did a spin class. Nearly died.

Topic: Was the Slavery Issue the Primary Cause of the Civil War? (Read 8259 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Was the Slavery Issue the Primary Cause of the Civil War?
Reply #1350
You are being dishonest in almost every post and I'm identifying it and correcting it constantly.  There must be something wrong with your brain if you don't see that. 
Heh. Those are some crazy glasses you're wearing.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #1351
What was the original event that triggered all this hoopla in the first place?

Anyone know?
The Civil War? The attack on Fort Sumpter? Slavery?
Greed!

Reply #1352
What was the original event that triggered all this hoopla in the first place?

Anyone know?
You're only just asking this?
Were you paying any attention at all during the actual event?

Unite the Right!

ETA:
InB4 "The real cause was GREED!!!1!"
(or junior high school competitive dick-waving)
Goddamnit

Reply #1353
Hey Dave. Since you didn't watch the videoes from Crash Course, here's another couple for you to ignore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ipRaLa4Jw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBYqV2sK918

Why do I bother?

Reply #1354
Dave, did you read, or just Hawkins Trump's statement? Look again, particularly at the sentence immediately after the part you bolded. He explicitly says you had neo-nazis and white nationalists in that group, along with "many other people". What is that supposed to mean other than these supposed "very fine people" were marching with the fucking Nazis?
how do you know that it wasn't the opposite of what you say? For example, "very fine people" show up to protest the statue removal for legitimate reasons... that is they don't want history erased... and then a bunch of Nazis show up and pile on and do offensive things? And by the way Trump made a very good point that both George Washington and Robert E Lee owned slaves.

Reply #1355
And post by post the Valor fan club grows.
A walk through the ocean of most mens souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Reply #1356
Dave, did you read, or just Hawkins Trump's statement? Look again, particularly at the sentence immediately after the part you bolded. He explicitly says you had neo-nazis and white nationalists in that group, along with "many other people". What is that supposed to mean other than these supposed "very fine people" were marching with the fucking Nazis?
how do you know that it wasn't the opposite of what you say? For example, "very fine people" show up to protest the statue removal for legitimate reasons... that is they don't want history erased... and then a bunch of Nazis show up and pile on and do offensive things? And by the way Trump made a very good point that both George Washington and Robert E Lee owned slaves.
That's actually not a very good point since the statue of Lee was there because he owned slaves which is not the case with Washington.

Reply #1357
That's actually not a very good point since the statue of Lee was there because he owned slaves which is not the case with Washington.
are you sure about that?

Reply #1358
You are telling me that someone said "Robert E Lee owned slaves... Therefore we should make a statue for him" ... ?

• JonF
Reply #1359
We've seen the videos. We've read the eyewitness reports. We know who got permits. Neo-Nazis and white supremacists all the way down

You obviously know nothing about Charlottesville. You are making up bullshit based on nothing more than your compulsion to make pitiful fantasies about Trump and his neo-Nazi and white supremacist cabal.

They are lower than whaleshit.

You are complicit. 
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #1360
are you sure about that?
Yeah, that's what George Washington is most known for.

What a bluffoon,
Are we there yet?

• JonF
Reply #1361
You are telling me that someone said "Robert E Lee owned slaves... Therefore we should make a statue for him" ... ?
No, they said "Robert E Lee owned slaves... Therefore we should make a statue for him to remind the darkies that they still aren't real free human beings."
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #1362
Frankly I have no idea why anyone would think Dave Hawkins is a Nazi/racist sympathizer.

No reason at all

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #1363
OK, sure. Except that the rally was organized by Unite the Right, so someone who did a tiny amount of research would know that the organizers were Nazis. And the rally was bookended by Nazis doing Nazi shit: chanting Nazi slogans and murdering a peaceful counter-protester.

And Trump was interpreted by pretty much everyone: the media, the left, the ultra-right, and everyone in between, to mean that it was ok to be a racist, just not one with a swastika on your arm.

So if you show up to a Nazi rally and march with Nazis, and someone is killed by a Nazi, and your president says it's ok, you're still a very fine person, that sends a very very bad message. Are you capable of understanding this, Dave?
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• uncool
Reply #1364
In part because the reports of "Blood and Soil" and "Jews will not replace us" chants were from Friday night.

And in part, once again, because of the chosen leaders.

Reply #1365
Dave, as everyone has said, it was a "Unite The Right" rally. Not a "please don't move our nice statues" rally. Was it? Was. It. Dave.?
Why do I bother?

• Faid
Reply #1366
Sigh.

The reason people know all that, dave, is because they checked.
Who organised the rally, dave? Who got the permits? who advertised and promoted it?

WHERE WERE ALL THOSE "FINE PEOPLE", DAVE?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #1367

If only there were some way to learn history aside from statues

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #1368
how do you know that it wasn't the opposite of what you say? For example, "very fine people" show up to protest the statue removal for legitimate reasons... that is they don't want history erased... and then a bunch of Nazis show up and pile on and do offensive things?
:facepalm:

STFU until you can get your facts right.
  :sadyes:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #1369
protest the statue removal for legitimate reasons... that is they don't want history erased...
When were those statues erected, Dave? Why were those statues erected, Dave?

This is important. It's got fuck all to do with history being erased, it's about racist fuckheads who think ending slavery was a cruel injustice perpetrated by a foreign invader on an innocent and peaceloving South.

ETA: ....and a gaggle of other despicable shitheads who think wearing Nazi (fucking Nazi, Dave) paraphernalia is cool, skinheads, and alt-right bullshit mongers who you seem to like regurgitating. Do you begin to understand why people get a bit concerned by these things, and the president's apparent tacit approval?
  • Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:05:07 PM by fredbear
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #1370
protest the statue removal for legitimate reasons... that is they don't want history erased...
When were those statues erected, Dave? Why were those statues erected, Dave?

This is important. It's got fuck all to do with history being erased, it's about racist fuckheads who think ending slavery was a cruel injustice perpetrated by a foreign invader on an innocent and peaceloving South.
... and that treason should be honored and celebrated.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• uncool
Reply #1371
Hey Dave, a question re sovereignty:

Let's say the Civil War never happened. Let's say the South seceded successfully. And the next day, the worst nightmares of slaveowners came true - a massive, organized slave revolt.

Say the revolt lasted 4 years, and killed nearly a million people. And it ended in slave victory. Slavery is abolished, and the newly victorious slaves chose to join the United States.

Would you condemn the former slaves for unnecessary killing? For not choosing to set an example through nonviolent resistance?

How would you feel if abolitionists from the north chose to support those slaves through trade? Through arms? Through military support?

What if the rump Union had made those policies? Had made a policy of trade? Arms trade? War in support of the slaves?
  • Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:48:22 PM by uncool

• JonF
Reply #1372
As Trump thought only blacks were on TANF.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #1373
Read Orwell's book "1984"
Have you ever actually read* that book, Hawkins?
If so, when?

*(And, no, "Hawkinzing" doesn't count.)
Quote from: Dave Hawkins

<     crickets     >  

Right.

• Faid
Reply #1374
If he had read (or even 'Hawkinsed') 1984, dave would have said it already.

His silence is quite revealing.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.