Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: *flounce*

Topic: NH winter cooling (Read 4434 times) previous topic - next topic

• nesb
Re: NH winter cooling
Reply #150
32 degrees Fahrenheit in New Hampshire. Also known as the granite state. According to Google. I don't think anyone's ever called it that.

Reply #151
I've observed it happening for decades, I just didn't have a name for it.

But it almost always happens.
Wait, so your arguments are almost always met with sarcasm? Gee, I wonder why that is.

Oh, no! I did it again! Wow, you must be the best arguer in the world to inspire so much sarcasm!

Damn it, I can't stop!

Reply #152
I live in Arizona, this entire winter has been like late summer, warm as fuck and dry as a bone.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #153
Wait, so your arguments are almost always met with sarcasm?

An example of the fallacy of presupposition, or loaded question, or trick question, or a false question.  It's used by morons who can't argue with rational ideas, logic or factual data.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #154
I live in Arizona, this entire winter has been like late summer, warm as fuck and dry as a bone.

So the days are around a 100 and rainfall is less than an inch.

Fascinating

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/arizona/united-states/3172
  • Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:44:18 PM by F X
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #155

An example of the fallacy of presupposition, or loaded question, or trick question, or a false question.  It's used by morons who can't argue with rational ideas, logic or factual data.

No, you moron, it was rhetorical.

Reply #156
Also, after that response to Dean W, you can add hyperbole to the large and continuously growing list of concepts you seem bafflingly incapable of grasping.

Reply #157

No, you moron, it was rhetorical.
:)

Reply #158

Reply #159
Earth's global surface temperatures in 2017 ranked as the second warmest since 1880, according to an analysis by NASA.

Continuing the planet's long-term warming trend, globally averaged temperatures in 2017 were 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.90 degrees Celsius) warmer than the 1951 to 1980 mean, according to scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York. That is second only to global temperatures in 2016.

In a separate, independent analysis, scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) concluded that 2017 was the third-warmest year in their record. The minor difference in rankings is due to the different methods used by the two agencies to analyze global temperatures, although over the long-term the agencies' records remain in strong agreement. Both analyses show that the five warmest years on record all have taken place since 2010.

Link

Reply #160

From NOAA

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #161
Earth's global surface temperatures in 2017 ranked as the second warmest since 1880, according to an analysis by NASA.
second warmest!
Hence, the trend is cooling.

Checkmate, alarmist fuckheads!
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #162
In the winter of 2015, New York City's Hudson River froze--a rare occurrence. Prior to the 2000s, the record shows that the Hudson froze in 1720, 1780, and 1821--a period that overlaps with the so-called Little Ice Age, when the Northern Hemisphere was cooler overall. But since the turn of the century, the lower Hudson has frozen not once, but twice: in 2015 and 2003. Meanwhile in the Midwest, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) recorded the winter of 2013-2014 as one of the region's coldest on record. That is the year, according to Google Trends, that the terms "Polar freeze" and "Arctic freeze" entered the public lexicon.

We didn't use those terms before because, as a new study released today in the journal Nature Geoscience highlights, we didn't need them. More intense winters (and their increased frequency) are a new phenomenon courtesy of a warming Arctic.
https://www.popsci.com/polar-freeze

Sun, Jan 7, 2018
Hudson river freezes as US hit by record-breaking lows of -40C
AMERICA was freezing last night as temperatures plummeted as low as a record-breaking -40C in east coast cities.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/901211/USA-weather-cold-Hudson-river-freezes-40-record-breaking-temperatures-arctic

From 2003 to 2018 the Hudson froze three times.  While morons might try to sell you that record snow is "because it's warmer", it's impossible to explain away record events that are only explained by record cold.  Like water freezing here it only freezes when it is very very cold.

The sea ice in North Carolina and snow in Florida (that stayed on the ground for the first time ever) are unheard of events, since they never happened before (in the records that is).   It was actually the coldest period ever recorded for much of the CONUS, even as the west had record warmth.

It's an odd situation, because the alarmists either claim it isn't happening, or blame it on warming.  It's a hard time to be a global warming alarmists.

― Mark Twain 🔭

• SR-71
  • Schmewbie
Reply #163
Meh.  I'll see your bits of CONUS and raise you the oceans. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00376-018-8011-z#main-content

"2017 was the warmest year on record for the global ocean"

Reply #164
The sarcasm tell, once again
Says the person who almost alway uses a sarcasm to talk about agw.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #165
"2017 was the warmest year on record for the global ocean"
That may be true.  If it is, then the problem with current consensus climate models is even more disturbing, since they predict (project) the most warming for the extratropics during the NH cold season, and the most warming should be observed in the boreal winter.

― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #166
In addition it would be helpful for proponents of agw to provide at least some sort of consistent physical hypothesis for oceanic heating via. downwelling longwave radiation.  Until such time as this vaguely hypothesised effect is rigorously demonstrated then the natural oceanic warming null remains unrefuted.

Reply #167
The sarcasm tell, once again
Says the person who almost alway uses a sarcasm to talk about agw.

:unsure:  AGW hit the Poe's Law buffer long ago.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #168
hyperbole
I'm quite aware of the constant stream of nonsense and exaggerated claims made by alarmists.  In the case of the increasing snow amounts, and extreme cold a billion people have been experiencing in the last decade, we have this interesting situation where both sides in the climate wars are either claiming it isn't happening, or that it is.
bafflingly
You seem to mistake sneering condescension with confusion.  It's most likely my fault since I don't really give a fuck what you believe, or feel, about scientific matters.  Your beliefs and feelings are not scientific, nor do they add anything to our knowledge of nature.  Hence I treat them with either contempt of make fun of you.  Or both.

Since it's actually impossible to just pretend cold and snow are not happening, the alarmists is faced with a challenge.  You have to somehow convince a skeptical population that it isn't really colder, or you have to somehow show the cold is because it is warmer.

For example, after the extreme cold winter 2013/14
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00496.1
Importantly, there is no evidence that a resurgent trend in cold Northern Hemisphere winters is ongoing. In fact, the winter of 2013/14, though desperately cold in North America, was the warmest ever observed in the 66-yr time series.

And of course there is Cohen (and now others) who theorize the warming arctic is causing more snow, which leads to more cold intrusions in Europe, Asia and parts of North America. 

Many reports now include this idea

Before the string of extreme winters the idea was pretty much non existent, with the only theory of colder winters based on a shutting down of the ocean conveyor as a cause.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3266833.stm

Google from 2009

An example of what was predicted from global warming

And in 2008 there was not talk of colder winters happening because of warming.

But add another decade and the 20 year trend shows why it's become an issue that has to be explained away somehow.

• Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:50:12 AM by F X
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #169
And yet...

:dunno:

It's almost as if these extreme cold snaps are happening in the context of winters that are still warmer on average than they used to be.

But alas, I used sarcasm, so my point is invalidated.
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:29:33 AM by BenTheBiased

Reply #170
And in 2008 there was not talk of colder winters happening because of warming.

But add another decade and the 20 year trend shows why it's become an issue that has to be explained away somehow.

But look at just the last decade, and the 10 year trend shows that it looks like it's no longer an issue. Looks like we need to start talking about NH winter warming, doesn't it?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #171
Gosh!
I wonder if there's any particular reason F_X chose 1998 as his baseline to conjure up "an issue that has to be explained away somehow"       :hmm:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #172
The great lakes region was used as an example of where winter warming was extreme (4 degrees C) and was expected to be 11C in the near future.

(I posted the link)

But in reality, the warming that was observed stopped, and cooling started, which shows up even in the adjusted data (GISS), as evidenced by their trend images.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #173
While the alarmists will cherry pick to try and show warming, it won't matter to somebody based in reality, because reality always trumps ideas, feelings or alarmists propaganda, based on looking at short time periods.  Or picking a tend period to try and convince somebody of something.

But in the real world, the ability to provide fuel to keep a million people from freezing to death is far more important than a belief system.

In utter irony, the alarmists is actually the denier of reality, when they refuse to admit it is cold, or worse, try and explain it as "because it's record warm".
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:56:51 AM by F X
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #174
While the alarmists will cherry pick to try and show warming
:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:
There aren't enough of those in existence for this. Your entire argument is based on cherry-picking to try and show cooling. Why do you ignore the graphs that show that the long-term winter trend is warming, and that even when current winters contain extreme cold snaps, they are still warmer on average than winters were a century ago? Do you genuinely not understand that that's possible (or what it means)? Or are you being dishonest?
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:54:04 AM by BenTheBiased