Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How it exactly works remains a physics brainteaser and the source of much debate in the scientific community.

Topic: Star Wars spoilers and opinions (Read 1564 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Star Wars spoilers and opinions
Reply #100

Reply #101
WTF? Is that real?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #102
Honestly I am beginning to wonder if this is going to partially rehabilitate the prequels as well.
Nothing can rehabilitate the prequels ....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok so consider this.

Humans of the New Republic colonized Naboo, which was already occupied by a sentient species. Humans treated that species like shit and did not engage in respectful dialogue with them. Meanwhile, the Republic initiates a conflict with the shipping company which provides service in that part of the galaxy by imposing tarriffs on shipping (which I assume Naboo did not want to pay in raised prices of goods) and then sending an armed delegation to "resolve" the conflict. The shipping company responds by implementing a work action by blockading shipping to and from the planet and using armed force to deter scabs brought in by the Republic.

Rather than negotiate a peaceful settlement, the human government of Naboo (currently run by a semi-electoral child aristocracy....what?) ends up recruiting an incompetent member of the indigenous species (who may or may not have been a saboteur and who was an exile from his people because of that) and uses him to gain knowledge of the indigenous species's politics in order to manipulate them into marching en masse against the shipping company's military hardware, resulting in huge losses with no actual purpose, because the space battle was the only battle of any importance. The human colony then uses this "victory" to push this saboteur and nitwit into a position of power where he could "represent" the indigenous species while actually being completely under the thumb of the human politicians. Eventually, that relationship is exploited in order to justify the elimination of democratic rule in the Republic more generally.

In retrospect, the reason the prequel movies make little narrative sense is that the Republic and the Jedi Order are actually the villains.
See,
This is like watching Dune the Movie before reading Dune the books.

There is no way you would pick up the narrative by watching a sweaty Sting fight with a knife.

yeah but I am the Kwisatz Haderach.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #103
WTF? Is that real?

It is real, and apparently hilariously bad. By trying to remove women from roles of any importance, they've also destroyed most of the male characters' arcs.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2018/01/15/erasing-women-from-media/
Apologies if you don't like Pharyngula, but PZ summarises it nicely.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #104
Lol. I don't hate P.Z. I just don't read his blog very often. Thanks for the link though. Bizarre to have such a purpose to one's life.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #105
I know a couple of people do, and I never bothering remembering who.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• Monad
Reply #106
I'm still trying to get my head around this weird 'MRA' thing, I don't really come across them much (or at all) in the UK, guess it's more a US, and certain webtypes phenomenon

Reply #107
I'm still trying to get my head around this weird 'MRA' thing, I don't really come across them much (or at all) in the UK, guess it's more a US, and certain webtypes phenomenon

uh Milo is from the UK

I don't "come across" them much in the US either, but that's because I don't hang out in their parents' basements or in the elevators at Comic Con.

Reply #108

You probably don't personally know many Brexiteers either.

• Monad
Reply #109

uh Milo is from the UK

Yeah but I think he went to the US because no one cared about him here

Reply #110
Again, a majority of brits voted to leave the EU to keep the immigrants out. Lose the high and mighty shit

• Monad
Reply #111
Again, a majority of brits voted to leave the EU to keep the immigrants out. Lose the high and mighty shit

No need to get defensive, I'm not interested in Brits vs US comparisons, just saying he was a nobody over here before he started turning up on US campuses and found an audience with the alt right.

Reply #112
the point is that British society seems broken enough that no one seems to know what ideas or personalities are popular in other socioeconomic classes. Which is why Brexit caught you guys all off-guard even though it appears a majority of Brits were all about cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #113
I think I see where the Finn storyline is going, and I think there is an actual point to that character. The Canto Bight plot was cool but did not have enough time and more importantly had the dumb animal herd chase thing which sucked. But I also see the bigger point of what's going on there, but I think the dumb disney thing overshadowed the point they're trying to go for.
The point of this was to set up future movies

Reply #114
Hey guys, let's keep the shitty phantom menace political discourse out of the star wars thread

Reply #115
Seriously go back and rewatch phantom menace. It's not that bad actually.

Reply #116
Hahaha

Reply #117
I would call it mediocre at best. 

Reply #118
the editing is terrible and the pacing is totally off, but in context of the new trilogy a lot of the plot points that just sucked when the film originally came out now make some semblance of coherent sense. So it's mediocre, sure, but it's not the steaming pile of diarrhea that it originally was.

Reply #119
mainly my posting ITT is me trying to convince people to go back and rewatch the prequel trilogy because I actually hate you all.

• MikeS
Reply #120
mainly my posting ITT is me trying to convince people to go back and rewatch the prequel trilogy because I actually hate you all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcF-1AoDO18

Reply #121
Only a master of evil, Darth.

Reply #122
The overall story arc of the prequels is fine, it's just played out by actors in front a green screen with no enthusiasm and wooden dialogue along with some questionable choices like midichlorians, making everyone 'related' (Anakin-C-3PO, Jango-Boba), kid Anakin which gives us less time for Anakin/Ob1 adventures and seduction by Palpatine. Anaking wiping out the sand people should've been longer. Less Emperor cackling like an idiot fighting Yoda.

ETA and of course JarJar

Reply #123
One thing that always annoyed me is that "Jedi mind trick" became the name for the thing where you wave your hand and influence someone's thoughts, because Jabba referred to it as "an old Jedi mind trick" and apparently that is it's official name and how it's referred to universally