Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• I think Texas Lynn is winning so far. Neither of them has made an actual argument yet, but at least her posts are coherent.

Topic: Star Wars spoilers and opinions (Read 1296 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Star Wars spoilers and opinions
Reply #75
yeah that's a good parallel they need to address.

Reply #76
Honestly I am beginning to wonder if this is going to partially rehabilitate the prequels as well.

Hahahaha . . . no.

I'm testing this right now and it seems to be working so far.

• ksen
Reply #77
What is your control?

Reply #78
His joystick
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #79
Ok so the directing and acting in episode 1 still sucks worse than Testy's posting, but it now seems a lot more coherent than before.

Reply #80
What is your control?

I've watched the prequels before and they sucked.

• ksen
Reply #81
Fair enough.

Reply #82

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #83
the films are designed to have immediate brand awareness and generate massive sales, same as the Marvel universe films. If you look at them as an artistic endeavor, you're missing the point.

Will see this movie because I owe it to Teeth age 9 but TBH Annihilation is the SF film I'm most excited about this year.

I agree with the first sentence, but disagree with the second. I think it's possible for a film, even one that is a big, superhero/star wars/whatever franchise is hot, money spinning blockbuster to also be an artistic endeavour. These films may not be a terribly innovative from an artistic perspective, generally sticking with classic storytelling methods, but I think that in general there's a strong correlation between films that put a lot of effort into the art of storytelling, character development and film craft, and their review scores. There's a capitalistic reason for this too. Good films are better received, produce sales over a longer timeframe, and make it easier to support a franchise.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• MikeS
Reply #84
Honestly I am beginning to wonder if this is going to partially rehabilitate the prequels as well.
Nothing can rehabilitate the prequels ....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #85
I didn't hate jar jar.

Reply #86
But you do enough drugs for twenty of us

Reply #87
So?

• Faid
Reply #88
I hated Jar Jar until I found out what happened to him in the end.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #89

Ok so consider this.

Humans of the New Republic colonized Naboo, which was already occupied by a sentient species. Humans treated that species like shit and did not engage in respectful dialogue with them. Meanwhile, the Republic initiates a conflict with the shipping company which provides service in that part of the galaxy by imposing tarriffs on shipping (which I assume Naboo did not want to pay in raised prices of goods) and then sending an armed delegation to "resolve" the conflict. The shipping company responds by implementing a work action by blockading shipping to and from the planet and using armed force to deter scabs brought in by the Republic.

Rather than negotiate a peaceful settlement, the human government of Naboo (currently run by a semi-electoral child aristocracy....what?) ends up recruiting an incompetent member of the indigenous species (who may or may not have been a saboteur and who was an exile from his people because of that) and uses him to gain knowledge of the indigenous species's politics in order to manipulate them into marching en masse against the shipping company's military hardware, resulting in huge losses with no actual purpose, because the space battle was the only battle of any importance. The human colony then uses this "victory" to push this saboteur and nitwit into a position of power where he could "represent" the indigenous species while actually being completely under the thumb of the human politicians. Eventually, that relationship is exploited in order to justify the elimination of democratic rule in the Republic more generally.

In retrospect, the reason the prequel movies make little narrative sense is that the Republic and the Jedi Order are actually the villains.

Reply #90
what if the humans who settled naboo were from a long-persecuted religion/ethnicity and claimed to have lived there thousands of years ago?

Reply #91
try harder buddy.

Reply #92
what if the humans who settled naboo were from a long-persecuted religion/ethnicity and claimed to have lived there thousands of years ago?

Hahahahaha

Reply #94

Ok so consider this.

Humans of the New Republic colonized Naboo, which was already occupied by a sentient species. Humans treated that species like shit and did not engage in respectful dialogue with them. Meanwhile, the Republic initiates a conflict with the shipping company which provides service in that part of the galaxy by imposing tarriffs on shipping (which I assume Naboo did not want to pay in raised prices of goods) and then sending an armed delegation to "resolve" the conflict. The shipping company responds by implementing a work action by blockading shipping to and from the planet and using armed force to deter scabs brought in by the Republic.

Rather than negotiate a peaceful settlement, the human government of Naboo (currently run by a semi-electoral child aristocracy....what?) ends up recruiting an incompetent member of the indigenous species (who may or may not have been a saboteur and who was an exile from his people because of that) and uses him to gain knowledge of the indigenous species's politics in order to manipulate them into marching en masse against the shipping company's military hardware, resulting in huge losses with no actual purpose, because the space battle was the only battle of any importance. The human colony then uses this "victory" to push this saboteur and nitwit into a position of power where he could "represent" the indigenous species while actually being completely under the thumb of the human politicians. Eventually, that relationship is exploited in order to justify the elimination of democratic rule in the Republic more generally.

In retrospect, the reason the prequel movies make little narrative sense is that the Republic and the Jedi Order are actually the villains.

This is C-3PO. He's a protocol droid to help Mom.

Reply #95
Oh right I had forgotten that Darth Vader built C3PO and that Mace Windu killed random Bounty Hunter, Boba Fett's father

Reply #96

Ok so consider this.

This is C-3PO. He's a protocol droid to help Mom.

8 year old internalizes the lessons of slavery, particularly when the people who are supposed to be fighting on the side of good and justice see him as nothing but a pest. He vaguely understands that the purpose of a droid is to make slavery obsolete, so he's trying to help his mother by rebuilding a droid that will make it so his master doesn't need her anymore.

There is a sick logic to this and it really pulls Phantom Menace out of the quagmire of shit. It's still a bad film but it is not the utter heap of horse dung that it was otherwise.

Reply #97
Also giving some serious consideration to the "from my point of view, the Jedi are evil" thing actually makes the overall Gone With the Wind thematic choices of Clones and Sith a lot more palatable.

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #98
The only redeeming quality of any of the new Star Wars movies is the expectation of a new Plinkett review.

• MikeS
Reply #99

Ok so consider this.

See,
This is like watching Dune the Movie before reading Dune the books.

There is no way you would pick up the narrative by watching a sweaty Sting fight with a knife.