Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: The violence inherent in the system

Topic: SpaceX Iridium Launch (Read 308 times) previous topic - next topic

• RickB
SpaceX Iridium Launch
I was really surprised that there are no threads here about the SpaceX Iridium launch in California.

I found the images of the expanding exhaust plume and shock wave quite startling and fascinating.

Maybe even the most amazing science video that I have seen in a while.

• RickB
Re: SpaceX Iridium Launch
Reply #1

• RickB
Reply #2
The launch itself was nothing special, well other than visually (don't think that such a visual experience has ever before been witnessed).

And the visual experience was amazing.

SpaceX Or UFO

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #3
I vaguely remember this system described as a death sentence for radio telescopes, all in the name of blanketing the planet with sat phone coverage, true?
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #4
The launch itself was nothing special, well other than visually (don't think that such a visual experience has ever before been witnessed).

And the visual experience was amazing.

SpaceX Or UFO

Fake news. HAARP is ionizing the skies. Musk isn't even real. Get woke.

• RickB
Reply #5
I vaguely remember this system described as a death sentence for radio telescopes, all in the name of blanketing the planet with sat phone coverage, true?

Sorry for the delay in response.
Thanks for pointing that out, I did not know that the Iridium satellites interfered with radio astronomy, so had to spend some time looking into it.  Not sure about a death sentence, but it seems to interfere with the significant detection of OH.  Apparently even Iridium-Next does not fix the problem. 

Reply #6
How many lives has detection of OH saved, compared to satellite phones?  :colbert:

Yeah, thought so.  :911:

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #7
How many lives has detection of OH saved, compared to satellite phones?  :colbert:

Yeah, thought so.  :911:
You mean, how can detection of OH be monetized, compared to satellite phones?
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.