Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: We wouldn't have it any other way, unless maybe we would

Topic: Donald Trump Didn’t Want to Be President (Read 844 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Donald Trump Didn’t Want to Be President
This modified excerpt from Michael Wolff's book is a fucking doozy:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-book-donald-trump.html

Most presidential candidates spend their entire careers, if not their lives from adolescence, preparing for the role. They rise up the ladder of elected offices, perfect a public face, and prepare themselves to win and to govern. The Trump calculation, quite a conscious one, was different. The candidate and his top lieutenants believed they could get all the benefits of almost becoming president without having to change their behavior or their worldview one whit. Almost everybody on the Trump team, in fact, came with the kind of messy conflicts bound to bite a president once he was in office. Michael Flynn, the retired general who served as Trump's opening act at campaign rallies, had been told by his friends that it had not been a good idea to take $45,000 from the Russians for a speech. "Well, it would only be a problem if we won," ­Flynn assured them.

lololol how'd that work out for you buddy?

Not only did Trump disregard the potential conflicts of his own business deals and real-estate holdings, he audaciously refused to release his tax returns. Why should he? Once he lost, Trump would be both insanely famous and a martyr to Crooked Hillary. His daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared would be international celebrities. Steve Bannon would become the de facto head of the tea-party movement. Kellyanne Conway would be a cable-news star. Melania Trump, who had been assured by her husband that he wouldn't become president, could return to inconspicuously lunching. Losing would work out for everybody. Losing was winning.

Shortly after 8 p.m. on Election Night, when the unexpected trend -- Trump might actually win -- seemed confirmed, Don Jr. told a friend that his father, or DJT, as he calls him, looked as if he had seen a ghost. Melania was in tears--and not of joy.

There was, in the space of little more than an hour, in Steve Bannon's not unamused observation, a befuddled Trump morphing into a disbelieving Trump and then into a horrified Trump. But still to come was the final transformation: Suddenly, Donald Trump became a man who believed that he deserved to be, and was wholly capable of being, the president of the United States.

Ann Coulter making sense here:
As much as the president himself, the chief of staff determines how the Executive branch -- which employs 4 million people -- will run. The job has been construed as deputy president, or even prime minister. But Trump had no interest in appointing a strong chief of staff with a deep knowledge of Washington. Among his early choices for the job was Kushner -- a man with no political experience beyond his role as a calm and flattering body man to Trump during the campaign.

It was Ann Coulter who finally took the president-elect aside. "Nobody is apparently telling you this," she told him. "But you can't. You just can't hire your children."

"He's a bomb thrower," said Ailes. "And a strange little fucker. But you need him. Who else is good on Israel? Flynn is a little nutty on Iran. Tillerson just knows oil."

"Bolton's mustache is a problem," snorted Bannon. "Trump doesn't think he looks the part. You know Bolton is an acquired taste."

"Well, he got in trouble because he got in a fight in a hotel one night and chased some woman."

"If I told Trump that," Bannon said slyly, "he might have the job."

I refuse to believe this is a real thing that happened but it probably is!:
After Jared and Ivanka joined them for lunch, Trump continued to cast for positive impressions of his first week. Scarborough praised the president for having invited leaders of the steel unions to the White House. At which point Jared interjected that reaching out to unions, a Democratic constituency, was Bannon's doing, that this was "the Bannon way."

"Bannon?" said the president, jumping on his son-in-law. "That wasn't Bannon's idea. That was my idea. It's the Trump way, not the Bannon way."

Kushner, going concave, retreated from the discussion.

Trump, changing the topic, said to Scarborough and Brzezinski, "So what about you guys? What's going on?" He was referencing their not-so-secret secret relationship. The couple said it was still complicated, but good.

"You guys should just get married," prodded Trump.

"I can marry you! I'm an internet Unitarian minister," Kushner, otherwise an Orthodox Jew, said suddenly.

"What?" said the president. "What are you talking about? Why would they want you to marry them when I could marry them? When they could be married by the president! At Mar-a-Lago!"

The secret of the hair is revealed:
Ivanka maintained a relationship with her father that was in no way conventional. She was a helper not just in his business dealings, but in his marital realignments. If it wasn't pure opportunism, it was certainly transactional. For Ivanka, it was all business -- building the Trump brand, the presidential campaign, and now the White House. She treated her father with a degree of detachment, even irony, going so far as to make fun of his comb-over to others. She often described the mechanics behind it to friends: an absolutely clean pate -- a contained island after scalp-reduction ­surgery -- surrounded by a furry circle of hair around the sides and front, from which all ends are drawn up to meet in the center and then swept back and secured by a stiffening spray. The color, she would point out to comical effect, was from a product called Just for Men -- the longer it was left on, the darker it got. Impatience resulted in Trump's orange-blond hair color.

President Angry Grandpa:
Trump, in fact, found the White House to be vexing and even a little scary. He retreated to his own bedroom -- the first time since the Kennedy White House that a presidential couple had maintained separate rooms. In the first days, he ordered two television screens in addition to the one already there, and a lock on the door, precipitating a brief standoff with the Secret Service, who insisted they have access to the room. He ­reprimanded the housekeeping staff for picking up his shirt from the floor: "If my shirt is on the floor, it's because I want it on the floor." Then he imposed a set of new rules: Nobody touch anything, especially not his toothbrush. (He had a longtime fear of being poisoned, one reason why he liked to eat at McDonald's -- nobody knew he was coming and the food was safely premade.) Also, he would let housekeeping know when he wanted his sheets done, and he would strip his own bed.

If he was not having his 6:30 dinner with Steve Bannon, then, more to his liking, he was in bed by that time with a cheeseburger, watching his three screens and making phone calls -- the phone was his true contact point with the world -- to a small group of friends, who charted his rising and falling levels of agitation through the evening and then compared notes with one another.

Or maybe President Toddler is more accurate:
As soon as the campaign team had stepped into the White House, Walsh saw, it had gone from managing Trump to the expectation of being managed by him. Yet the president, while proposing the most radical departure from governing and policy norms in several generations, had few specific ideas about how to turn his themes and vitriol into policy. And making suggestions to him was deeply complicated. Here, arguably, was the central issue of the Trump presidency, informing every aspect of Trumpian policy and leadership: He didn't process information in any conventional sense. He didn't read. He didn't really even skim. Some believed that for all practical purposes he was no more than semi-­literate. He trusted his own expertise ­-- no matter how paltry or irrelevant -- more than anyone else's. He was often confident, but he was just as often paralyzed, less a savant than a figure of sputtering and dangerous insecurities, whose instinctive response was to lash out and behave as if his gut, however confused, was in fact in some clear and forceful way telling him what to do. It was, said Walsh, "like trying to figure out what a child wants."

This is some fucking amazing 48 dimensional chess here.

Re: Donald Trump Didn’t Want to Be President
Reply #1
Dementia-riddled toddler idiot President is good, way to go America!

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
But holy shit, so scary.  :gonk:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
like it's hard to take all of it at face value when the guy's sources are basically all a pack of amoral, lying ratfuckers, and honest to god that bit about Kushner marrying Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski reads like goddamn Andy Borowitz, but if even half of that is more or less accurate, oh my god what has this country done to itself

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #4
like it's hard to take all of it at face value when the guy's sources are basically all a pack of amoral, lying ratfuckers, and honest to god that bit about Kushner marrying Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski reads like goddamn Andy Borowitz, but if even half of that is more or less accurate, oh my god what has this country done to itself the world

• ksen
Reply #5
I find myself in rare agreement with Trump because I didn't want him to be president either.

• ksen
Reply #6
This is some fucking amazing 48 dimensional chess here.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3619108/posts?page=125#125

To: dead

>> This dumpster fire is not an example of "winning" in any way <<

Cut it out. Your Nattering Negativism not needed. This stuff is an example of 3-D chess at its finest -- maybe even N-dimensional hyper-chess!

125 posted on 1/3/2018, 2:16:59 PM by Hawthorn

said unironically

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #7
Some people just can't admit when they have done something stupid.
Truth is out of style

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8
Ok, I was trying to take this shit with a grain of salt because some of it really sounds totally outlandish and Wolff has apparently been full of crap in the past and included an author's note about how lots of things he heard from people were totally contradictory, but then this happens:

In the letter to Bannon, Trump attorney Charles Harder, writes, "You [Bannon] have breached the Agreement by, among other things, communicating with author Michael Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company [the campaign], disclosing Confidential Information to Mr. Wolff, and making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr. Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members."

In the letter, Trump's attorney says that "remedies for your breach of the agreement include but are not limited to monetary damages" though no dollar amount is disclosed.

I mean like I said, Bannon is a bullshitting ratfucker who lies as much as Trump but this is really bananas. :psyduck:

• uncool
Reply #9
 Trump might have done so just as an expression of power, not as a direct response to anything necessarily actually said. Maybe too cynical, but it seems like the kind of dick-swinging Trump would do.

• uncool
Reply #10

• uncool
Reply #11
On the bright side: from WaPo,
Bannon has in recent weeks also alienated his main financial backer, Rebekah Mercer, after he told several other major conservative donors that he would be able to count on the Mercers' financial support should he run for president, a person familiar with the conversations said. The person said Mercer now does not plan to financially support Bannon's future projects -- and that she was frustrated by his moves in Alabama and some of his comments in the news media that seemed to stoke unnecessary fights.

• Monad
Reply #12
Clearly 'business guru' Trump does not have the sense to 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer'

• uncool
Reply #13

Reply #14

Reply #15
This thread is so disturbing on so many levels.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• linus
Reply #16
From PD's link:
At least nine major law firms had turned down an invitation to represent the president.
lol

Reply #17
I didn't think it was any big secret that the trumpster fire didn't really want the gig.

Reply #18

• linus
Reply #19
So far it's not going so well for Bannon.
"I support President Trump and the platform upon which he was elected," Mercer said. "My family and I have not communicated with Steve Bannon in many months and have provided no financial support to his political agenda, nor do we support his recent actions and statements."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/01/04/mercer-issues-rare-public-rebuke-of-former-ally-bannon/

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #20
it strikes me that the more influential members of trumpland recognize the danger of bannon (who is perhaps second only to trump in importance to their movement) taking russia gate seriously and calling the trump tower meeting treasonous.  the flock has been able to remain fact-proof on the topic until now, because they are so reflexive at assuming "fake news" when they hear something they don't want to hear.  but I gather bannon has such "street cred" within the movement that, for many of the little people, the reflex will be interrupted by "wait....  it was bannon who said that?"

so it is important to them to discredit him quickly and thoroughly.  hence the heavy fire he's taking from the mercers, alex jones, etc.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #21

lol at the president basically threatening someone who wrote a mean book about him

eta

ummm
  • Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:44:01 PM by meepmeep

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #22
You lot do elect some interesting characters. :popcorn:
Truth is out of style

• Faid
Reply #23

OK, this BS might work in the script of some soft-core tv-series of the early 90s, but not IRL.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #24