Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• If there's not at least one goonsay in the memecloud, I can't be held responsible for the actions that I or other concerned citizens of Talkrational might take.

Topic: New California Declares Independence (Read 289 times) previous topic - next topic

New California Declares Independence
New California declares 'independence' from California in bid to become 51st state
"The current state of California has become governed by a tyranny," the group, led in part by vice chairman Robert Paul Preston, declared in a document published online.

"After years of over taxation, regulation, and mono-party politics the State of California and many of it's 58 Counties have become ungovernable," the group said in a statement, citing a "decline in essential basic services" including education, law enforcement, infrastructure and health care.
:parrot:

• nesb
Re: New California Declares Independence
Reply #1
Slightly related:

Social media accounts with ties to Russia pushed a huge Twitter trend in favour of an independent California on US election night 2016, BBC Trending has learned. The campaign was one of at least two popular online independence drives with links to the Kremlin.
-http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41853131

Reply #2
Lol at leaving San Diego and San Jose and that other Bay area county in there. Welcome to the Senate, two additional Democratic senators.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
those whites are at it again

Reply #4
New California doesn't know how to party

Reply #5
So will this be Califexit or Exifonia?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #6
I remember back when it was still outre to be gay, there was a concept of a large gay migration to Alpine County, which had an absurdly small population and would easily be overrun politically by the immigration of a couple of thousand of like minded folks. Beautiful place, moving about a bit restricted during the winter unless you have special vehicles. But I figured they'd make it work.

And once the gays had control of the County, then it wouldn't have mattered if the previous residents stayed or left as threatened. I think it would have worked now, with the better communications.
Are we there yet?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #7
Lol at leaving San Diego and San Jose and that other Bay area county in there. Welcome to the Senate, two additional Democratic senators.
iirc, contra costa is full of rich white people like ravenscape.  I'm guessing it is relatively centrist for a CA county.  though it is full of the kind of professionals that trump is driving away from the gop.  also California WASPs have always been a touch hippier than those back east.

eta:
lol, nevermind, wikipedia says it's like D+40, despite being full of rich white people like ravenscape.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_Costa_County,_California

so underscore the remarks about professionals with hippie flavoring.

eta2:  I feel strangely at home just imagining so many white liberals
  • Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:44:47 AM by el jefe

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8
though I share your lol at the inclusion of San Diego and silicon valley.

Reply #9
dunno what you nerds are talking about but the OP is why we ought to kill all rurals.

Reply #10

it's state border gerrymandering. You don't kick all the liberals out. You just kick out enough that you can control the politics.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #11
dunno what you nerds are talking about but the OP is why we ought to kill all rurals.
Are you crazy, who will supply all the food and where will all the gullible farmer's daughters come from?
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #12

it's state border gerrymandering. You don't kick all the liberals out. You just kick out enough that you can control the politics.
There is a sizeable portion of modern tech that is right wing and/or survivalist/libertarian.
Are we there yet?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #13

A port and the tech heart of the state.

SF and the East Bay would benefit from businesses fleeing new Cal but the residents of SF and Oakland in particular don't want more gentrification.

Reply #14
Are you crazy, who will supply all the food and where will all the gullible farmer's daughters come from?

robots and who cares you creep

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #15

A port and the tech heart of the state.

SF and the East Bay would benefit from businesses fleeing new Cal but the residents of SF and Oakland in particular don't want more gentrification.
don't know enough about Contra Costa, but I'm pretty sure Santa Clara wouldn't want to be part of the New California, nor would most of the central valley.

San Diego is a weird situation, heavily influenced by the military presence. But I think it would opt out as well. Too many connections with LA and SF. Not obvious but there none the less.

That would leave the rural mountain counties. Which have little to offer other than recreation and a possible landing for the Old California retirees who can no longer afford the cities.
Are we there yet?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #16
I'm actually thinking about moving one of these days, but have my eye on blue areas east of Sacto.

Reply #17
all the areas will be blue if everyone just gets with the program.

Reply #18

that's the thing though

liberals would most likely still dominate both of the states

they may get more reps though

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #19
nor would most of the central valley.

lolnope.

Reply #20
There is a sizeable portion of modern tech that is right wing and/or survivalist/libertarian.
And they also believe that they are being persecuted and discriminated against thanks to liberal policies aimed at improving racial and gender equality.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #21
Btw this is the CA group that hired hired Nigel Farage last year.  Money well spent, I guess.