Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We have a kill list

Topic: Rebuilding the Democrat Party (Read 13906 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
Re: Rebuilding the Democrat Party
Reply #850
https://www.salon.com/2017/12/27/first-special-election-of-2018-is-in-trump-country-and-democrats-are-drooling/

And anyone that argues that it's the GOP primary voters mostly responsible for the crazy candidates the GOP is getting lately just note that in this race the GOP establishment got together and picked this lunatic as their candidate.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #851
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/07/donald-trump-pepin-county-wisconsin-2017-216215

Interesting article about how this year has played out for rural Democrats (mostly transplants) and Republicans. Mistrust, viewing most or all cross-divide ordinary interactions as fraught with animus, and a shrinking interest in trying to find common ground are the themes.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #852
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• ksen
Reply #853
Sure, why not?

Reply #854
What could go wrong?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ksen
Reply #855
Deplorables are already stocking up on ammo to use against President Oprah.

• ksen
Reply #856
Gayle King will make an excellent first lady.

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #857
Really, Democrats need to prepare to fight the second American Civil War and then rebuild American democracy out of the resulting ashes.
Great plan... except that most of the guns are in the hands of Republicans.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

Reply #858
Really, Democrats need to prepare to fight the second American Civil War and then rebuild American democracy out of the resulting ashes.
This is a common myth. I'm glad to see you don't disappoint by being dumb enough to believe it.

• uncool
Reply #859
This is a common myth. I'm glad to see you don't disappoint by being dumb enough to believe it.
I'm curious; any stats for that? I remember gun-owning being much more common among Republicans than Democrats in the polls I read.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #860
Russian bots are taking an interest in pushing Oprah presidential speculation.

Reply #861
has there been any real analysis of the impact of "russian bots"? like can we measure it and control for the reaction to hype trains like this sans bot influence.

Reply #862
Gotta say, from my limited sample size, the wingnuts I know have more guns than the sane people
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #863
has there been any real analysis of the impact of "russian bots"? like can we measure it and control for the reaction to hype trains like this sans bot influence.

There are probably ongoing experiments re measuring. I don't think either of the main social media platforms are trying to algorithmically control bot-traffic in real time.

Reply #864
i meant "control for" in the "variable in an experiment" sense

Reply #865
Randomly choose 50% of the voters to inject with DMSO instead of propaganda

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #866
my libertarian bowling buddy has been talking about Oprah 2020 for a while.  I'm giving him the patent if it happens.  and then I'm killing myself if the total lack of seriousness this country showed by picking a game show host for the most important job in the world becomes a pattern rather than a fluke.

incidentally, everyone I know who consumes conservative media suddenly hates Oprah.

Reply #867
it's fucking wild how this rumor based on nothing swelled into something everybody's gotta have a hot take on overnight because oprah gave what is by all accounts a pretty good speech?

Reply #868
Love this new American political landscape where we get to choose what billionaire to pledge our fealty to. That's going to be our choice for Illinois governor, too.

• ksen
Reply #869
it's fucking wild how this rumor based on nothing swelled into something everybody's gotta have a hot take on overnight because oprah gave what is by all accounts a pretty good speech?

Well, she is pretty well-spoken for a . . . you know.

• ksen
Reply #870
Love this new American political landscape where we get to choose what billionaire to pledge our fealty to. That's going to be our choice for Illinois governor, too.

If I have to pick I'll pick Nick Hanauer.

Reply #871
Gotta say, from my limited sample size, the wingnuts I know have more guns than the sane people
I'll have to see if I can find the survey, it was from about a year ago (around the election). It showed that GOP morons had more guns, but there was roughly parity between Dem and GOP gun owners.

Reply #872

Well, she is pretty well-spoken for a . . . you know.
Female?  [/ferengi]

Reply #873
i'd like to see a platform that includes marijuana legalization, forced rural internetification (like electricity and telephones back in the day), and good lord just don't talk about guns

Reply #874
I want a platform of electoral college reform, campaign finance reform, and white genocide.