TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Now with extra smileys :parrot: :popcorn:

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 111960 times) previous topic - next topic

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #8850
As several people have been pointing out, your Constitution is great in theory but doesn't work when those who hold power refuse to enforce it.
Truth is out of style

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #8851
Yeah, I'm aware.

Reply #8852
That is true of the law and governmental authority of any country.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #8853
True. It's just that the rest of us are currently getting a rather spectacular example from the self-styled "leader of the free world". The free world is not impressed with where the US is trying to lead it. Your lot spend a lot of time banging on about your Constitution, and it's not looking so crash hot at the moment.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #8854
Trump administration seeks $18bn from Congress for Mexico border wall

The Trump administration is seeking nearly $18bn from Congress over the next decade to start extending and reinforcing a border wall with Mexico, the first financial blueprint for the president's election campaign promise.

<snip some stuff>

However Richard Durbin, the ranking Democrat on the Senate immigration subcommittee, excoriated the administration's proposed border plan. "President Trump has said he may need a good government shutdown to get his wall. With this demand, he seems to be heading in that direction," Durbin said in a statement.

"I've been clear from the beginning that Senate Democrats will consider reasonable border security measures in order to pass the Dream Act into law. The Trump administration set this crisis in motion when it ended Daca four months ago. It's outrageous that the White House would undercut months of bipartisan efforts by again trying to put its entire wish-list of hardline anti-immigrant bills - plus an additional $18bn in wall funding - on the backs of these young people."
This is going to be fun to watch. What's the bet the Dems get conned into supporting funding for Teh Wall?
Truth is out of style

Reply #8855

The Trump administration is seeking nearly $18bn from Congress over the next decade to start extending and reinforcing a border wall with Mexico, the first financial blueprint for the president's election campaign promise.

<snip some stuff>

However Richard Durbin, the ranking Democrat on the Senate immigration subcommittee, excoriated the administration's proposed border plan. "President Trump has said he may need a good government shutdown to get his wall. With this demand, he seems to be heading in that direction," Durbin said in a statement.

"I've been clear from the beginning that Senate Democrats will consider reasonable border security measures in order to pass the Dream Act into law. The Trump administration set this crisis in motion when it ended Daca four months ago. It's outrageous that the White House would undercut months of bipartisan efforts by again trying to put its entire wish-list of hardline anti-immigrant bills - plus an additional $18bn in wall funding - on the backs of these young people."
This is going to be fun to watch. What's the bet the Dems get conned into supporting funding for Teh Wall?
i would be shocked if they didn't

Reply #8856
True. It's just that the rest of us are currently getting a rather spectacular example from the self-styled "leader of the free world". The free world is not impressed with where the US is trying to lead it. Your lot spend a lot of time banging on about your Constitution, and it's not looking so crash hot at the moment.
An example.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #8857
Yes I read that the other day. Makes some good points.
Truth is out of style

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #8858
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Faid
Reply #8859
Jesus fucking christ.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #8860
Trump boasts that he's 'like, really smart' and a 'very stable genius'

:facepalm:
The look on Pence's face all through that video is great. If there is one Republican who would love to see Trump go down in flames, it is obviously Pence.

ETA: Although I will say that Trump spoke lucidly during that little stint. Not truthfully, but lucidly.
  • Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:01:27 PM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

Reply #8861
So this is implying that Trump dissolving the Voter Fraud commission is specifically to avoid complying with a federal court order to turn over documents about what exactly this voter fraud commission is doing:

http://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/06/trump-administration-resists-turning-over-documents-to-dunlap/

Reply #8862
"I have the same problem as Reagan!" doesn't seem like the best defense wrt mental health

Reply #8863
Actually Ronald Reagan was totally sharp and physically fit up until the end, and personally beat the Russians at both hockey and chess, although Trump is even better at both!

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #8864
I'd like to see Trump v Putin in Judo

Reply #8865
Mixed Martial Arts. Putin can do judo. Trump can do sudo.

• Faid
Reply #8866
More like Pseu-Do
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8867
President Grandpa really loves to live tweet Fox News:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/05/trump-media-feedback-loop-216248

It's no secret, of course, that the president likes to tweet about what he sees on TV. Thanks to diligent reporting from the White House beat, we know Trump often watches several hours of cable news each day via the "Super TiVo" he had installed at the White House. And journalists at CNN, the Washington Post, New York magazine, among others, have compiled lists of Trump tweets they believe were inspired by Fox.

But here's what is shocking: After comparing the president's tweets with Fox's coverage every day since October, I can tell you that the Fox-Trump feedback loop is happening far more often than you think. There is no strategy to Trump's Twitter feed; he is not trying to distract the media. He is being distracted. He darts with quark-like speed from topic to topic in his tweets because that's how cable news works.

Here's what's also shocking: A man with unparalleled access to the world's most powerful information-gathering machine, with an intelligence budget estimated at $73 billion last year, prefers to rely on conservative cable news hosts to understand current events.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8868
shares from your trump

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8869

<snip some stuff>

i would be shocked if they didn't
I've never gotten the sense they were strongly opposed to it, just that they (and half the gop) think it's dumb.  we already have a wall.  building a bigger one won't address most of the existing one's security shortcomings.  the main problem with it is that it's a waste of 10s of billions of dollars.  since the democrats don't pretend to be budget hawks, and this country is accustomed to wasting 100s of billions every year, I don't see the dems putting up a fight.

if they do decide to fight it, it will be because of their general political interest in denying trump a victory, or because the wall is symbolic:  "The Wall" is a way for white nationalists to tell brown people they aren't welcome here.

• linus
Reply #8870
Trump has scored a major victory over his daycare handlers: more screen time
https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sneak-peek-a7c58480-bc9e-4580-93c1-6358a6102b93.html

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #8871
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-42613178

The Trump administration has decided to cancel permits that allow nearly 200,000 people from El Salvador to live and work in the US.
They were granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS) after earthquakes rocked the Central American country in 2001.
Salvadoreans now have until 2019 to leave or face deportation, unless they find a legal way to stay.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #8872
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/01/08/trump-appointed-regulators-reject-plan-to-rescue-coal-and-nuclear-plants/

he Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Monday unanimously rejected a proposal by Energy Secretary Rick Perry that would have propped up nuclear and coal power struggling in competitive electricity markets.

The independent five-member commission includes four people appointed by President Trump, three of them Republicans. Its decision is binding.

At the same time, the commission said that it shared Perry's stated goal of strengthening the "resilience" of the electricity grid and it directed regional transmission operators to provide information to help the commission examine the matter "holistically." The operators have 60 days to submit materials. At that time the agency can issue another order.

That'll help with coal country economic anxiety.

Reply #8873

Reply #8874