Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Bloody hell

Topic: Random Questions (Read 540 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Random Questions
So... the "Stay logged in for xxx time" option there.  I selected 60 minutes, naively assuming it would log me off automatically after 60 minutes of inactivity.  But I've been pretty actively posting today, and it just logged me out. 

:raise:   Is this how folks are supposed to control their addiction?  Self-limited posting?
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Re: Random Questions
Reply #1
Sounds like a bug then.
Truth is out of style

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #2
I figured it was a feature ;)

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3
That's what the devs will say.
Truth is out of style

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #4
Yeah, I've heard that one before...

It's not a big deal to me, just a curiosity so I know what to expect.  An automatic posting time limit would probably be a good thing for *most* of TR's denizens.

Reply #5
I just figured out that the like bug is a feature. It is there to mark annoying posts because it annoys the poster when they see they have messages and click back through to see their annoying post! To think that I've misunderstood facebook all these years!
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #6
Testy, fucking behave yourself or I'll write a script that constantly adds likes to all of your posts. :P
Truth is out of style

Reply #7
Testy, fucking behave yourself or I'll write a script that constantly adds likes to all of your posts. :P
I figured out that the only place it shows up is under 'mentions' so I just don't click that any more. :)
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #8
How do I make a string of characters for a smiley not get interpreted as a smiley?

On the old TR I could use "noparse" tags, IIRC.  But that doesn't seem to work here.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #9
you can click "don't use smileys" in the options below the text box in regular reply.  The options aren't shown below the quick reply box.

eta you could also use the code bbcode, like this:

Code: [Select]
:grin:
:grin:

The button with a # label is the code bbcode.
  • Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:33:58 PM by ravenscape

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #10
Sounds like a bug then.
Yeah, I think I got logged out once in a way similar to Pandora.  I changed it to stay logged in forever and haven't had any issues.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #11
I figured out that the only place it shows up is under 'mentions' so I just don't click that any more. :)
But how to you quell the OCD need to click on Mentions[27]

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #12
Like this:

Code: [Select]
#button_mentions {display: none;}
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #13
Anyway I was thinking about this stuff. Having likes constantly popping up on the mentions tab is, IMO, just a pointless PITA. They're not really "mentions" as such anyway, so it doesn't even fit with the tab title. Mentions should be reserved for when someone deliberately tags you in a post to bring your attention to it.

So that will probably happen with a lack of veryoftenness, meaning a separate tab for it is probably waste of space. It'd make more sense if mentions were in the droppy off the "My Messages" tab and just popped up a little number there instead. Getting tagged really is a kind of message (as in "Hey, check this out").

As for tracking likes, who gives a fuck? Even Farcebook, the originator of this bit of web lint, has basically now admitted that just having likes by themselves is pretty useless.

ETA: Am seriously going to look into coding this.
  • Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:37:27 AM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #14
But how to you quell the OCD need to click on Mentions[27]
Up your meds... :p

ETA:  Do they even make meds for OCD? 

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #15
I like the idea of being able to like something, just express general support or whatever... but I honestly dont know what the hell good they are.  I dunno.  Maybe if they were additive and translated to some sort of over all "likeability" score for the members... Although if that were the case, I'd want the option of "disliking" stuff too.

Then again, I'm a little bit worried.  I'm pretty strong minded, but I'd still probably cry a little inside if everyone disliked me  :fart:

Okay, seriously, the complete random jumble of smilies is a bit overwhelming.  Just sayin'.

Reply #16

Then again, I'm a little bit worried.  I'm pretty strong minded, but I'd still probably cry a little inside if everyone disliked me  :fart:

hay pandorka waht is teh m1n1mum number 0f pe0ple wh0 can disl1ke u and is their a sine up sheat ... asking 4 a frend ; )

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #17
New Random Question:  How do I get subscribed threads listed somewhere, but NOT get emails all the damn time?

I *think* I fixed the constant emails bit, by turning off the notification settings... but I used to use subscribed threads all the time and I can't seem to find something comparable here.  Does it exist?

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #18
Another question...

Found "help" which took me to a list of elkarte features, which lists "Bad Behavior built in".

What does that mean?  I kinda thought we brought our own bad behavior with us?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #19
The "New Replies" button shows you a list of threads that you've posted in that have new replies since you last read it.

Bad Behavior in that context means detecting behavior that looks like a spambot.

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #20
Thanks!