Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: This is a good one for the memescape.

Topic: Planned violence in Berkeley for Trump Tax Day (Read 3124 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: Planned violence in Berkeley for Trump Tax Day
Reply #325

Reply #326
  • Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:11:22 PM by uncool

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #327
https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2017/10/09/white-house-seeks-investigation-unlv-professor

An assistant professor of history at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas has apologized for blaming President Trump for the recent shooting massacre in the city after a student secretly recorded her comments and shared them with the Las Vegas Review-Journal. In the video, Tessa Winkelmann tells an upper-level class that when Trump was elected, she told students "that some of us won't be affected by this presidency, but others are going to die." Winkelmann says that Trump has "threatened to declare violence against North Korea and other places" and that "words, especially if they're coming from someone who is the president, have consequences." She adds, "I don't know that these events would have inevitably happened whether or not he got elected, but he has rhetorical powers; every president has to encourage or to discourage [violence]. So far all he's done is to encourage violence."

The anonymous student who shared with video with the newspaper reportedly said classmates began arguing the point with one another. The Review-Journal quotes Sarah Huckabee Sanders, White House press secretary, as saying that Winkelmann "should be ashamed of herself, and the university should look into it. What a terrible example to set for students."

Winkelmann told the newspaper that last week was "very difficult for members of our community, and we have allowed students space in our classes to discuss how they have been affected and to openly convey their feelings." She added via email, "I regret that my comments caused more pain during this difficult time. Emotions were running high and I wish I would have been more thoughtful in how I directed the conversation."

Tony Allen, university spokesperson, in a statement called Winkelmann's comments insensitive but did not address the possibility of disciplinary action against her.

"While we respect academic freedom in the classroom and the right to free speech, we believe the comments were insensitive, especially given the series of events this week and the healing process that has begun in the community."

I'm sure Ben Shapiro and the Free Speech Pals are furiously protesting this egregious attack on campus speech.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #328
How to alienate pretty much everyone 101: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/11/the-surprising-revolt-at-reed/544682/

One of the first Hum professors to request that RAR not occupy the classroom was Lucía Martínez Valdivia, who said her preexisting PTSD would make it difficult to face protesters. In an open letter, RAR offered sympathy to Martínez Valdivia but then accused her of being anti-black, discriminating against those with disabilities, and engaging in gaslighting--without specifying those charges. When someone asked for specifics, a RAR leader replied, "Asking for people to display their trauma so that you feel sufficiently satisfied is a form of violence."

But another RAR member did offer a specific via Facebook: "The​ ​appropriation​ ​of​ ​AAVE [African American Vernacular English]​ ​on​ ​her​ ​shirt​ ​during​ ​lecture:​ ​'Poetry​ ​is​ ​lit' ​is​ ​a​ ​form​ ​of​ ​anti-blackness."

During Martínez Valdivia's lecture on Sappho, protesters sat together in the seats wearing all black; they confronted her after class, with at least one of them yelling at the professor about her past trauma, bringing her to tears. "I am intimidated by these students," Martínez Valdivia later wrote, noting she is "scared to teach courses on race, gender, or sexuality, or even texts that bring these issues up in any way--and I am a gay mixed-race woman." Such fear, she revealed in an op-ed for the Washington Post, prompted some of her colleagues-- "including people of color, immigrants, and those without tenure"--to avoid lecturing altogether.

[RAR] requested that students, specifically white students, give a suggested amount of five dollars to RAR if they planned on consuming black and brown culture at the ball. This money, explicitly regarded as reparations, was collected at the door by student activists....  [the ball organizer responded], "we are in support of Reedies Against Racism but want to make it clear that their event is unaffiliated with ours."

:unsure:

The pushback from freshmen first came over Facebook. "To interrupt a lecture in a classroom setting is in serious violation of academic freedom and is just unthoughtful and wrong," wrote a student from China named Sicheng, who distributed a letter of dissent against RAR. Another student, Isabel, ridiculed the group for its "unsolicited emotional theater."

Two days later, a video circulated showing freshmen in the lecture hall admonishing protesters. When a few professors get into a heated exchange with RAR leaders, an African American freshman in the front row stands up and raises his arms: "This is a classroom! This is not the place! Right now we are trying to learn! We're the freshman students!" The room erupts with applause.

Over at the lecture hall, RAR covered the door with photos of police victims so that anyone entering would have to rip them. Shortly into Ann Delehanty's lecture on the Iliad, a RAR "noise parade" shut it down--the third class canceled that month, after Kambiz GhaneaBassiri refused to teach the Epic of Gilgamesh in front of signs tying him to white supremacy. Where Delehanty had just stood, a RAR leader read a statement about how Reed is complicit in "modern-day slavery" because its operating bank, Wells Fargo, has ties to private prisons.

But her words faltered as she watched the freshmen walk out. "The thing that heartens me," said Pax, "is that most of the student body followed the professor into another classroom, where she continued the lecture."

Reply #329
Some of these leftists sure are whacky.

Reply #330
is reed another elite private college? this is so weird to read about as someone who works at a public university. no one going to a state U has time for this shit i guess lol

Reply #331
is reed another elite private college? this is so weird to read about as someone who works at a public university. no one going to a state U has time for this shit i guess lol
I live a few blocks from reed. Lots of my friends are reed graduates and professors.  I use their library at least every couple of weeks, go to concerts and plays there, and walk around the lake on their campus frequently.  There are few places in the world where privilege gets twisted into something as weird as what happens at reed. No matter how strange it may seem from the outside, it is stranger from the inside.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #332
I've met a handful of Reed alumni. One of them taught my Physics II class in NY. He had a scraggly gross hipster beard and wore a bow tie every day.

Reply #333
I've met a handful of Reed alumni. One of them taught my Physics II class in NY. He had a scraggly gross hipster beard and wore a bow tie every day.
Lots of locals affectionately call them reedos.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #334
That's kind of cute.

The other day during my super early morning hospital shift, one of the doctors walked in wearing something like this, minus the jacket and hat:

Victorian style knickers, the high socks, dress shoes, bow tie, dress shirt, and of course the hipster glasses. His wrist watch was one of those with the clear face so you can see the gears turning.

I so badly wanted to ask him if he had gotten lost on his way to a Newsies audition but I'm at the bottom of the ladder and can't get in trouble by making fun of people.

:noo:

Reply #335
I was in line at Safeway behind a group of reedies who were clearly tripping but trying to maintain. The one in back was trying really hard to avoid making eye contact with me. When he finally did by accident, I said, "aardvark". He lost it and so did the rest of the group.

Reply #336
Also, I got a hat like that in Ireland and I wear it.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #337
I was in line at Safeway behind a group of reedies who were clearly tripping but trying to maintain. The one in back was trying really hard to avoid making eye contact with me. When he finally did by accident, I said, "aardvark". He lost it and so did the rest of the group.

lmao this is the best story. Good job, Testy.   :cheer:

Reply #338
That's kind of cute.

The other day during my super early morning hospital shift, one of the doctors walked in wearing something like this, minus the jacket and hat:

Victorian style knickers, the high socks, dress shoes, bow tie, dress shirt, and of course the hipster glasses. His wrist watch was one of those with the clear face so you can see the gears turning.

I so badly wanted to ask him if he had gotten lost on his way to a Newsies audition but I'm at the bottom of the ladder and can't get in trouble by making fun of people.

:noo:

Reply #339
can't wait for death at the hands of ANTIFA supersoldiers tomorrow morning

Reply #340
I got one just like that in Ireland as well. Love it!! 

Reply #341
I got one just like that in Ireland as well. Love it!! 
I just wore mine to that very Safeway! It's my favorite hat I've had so far.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #342
My dad and all the other local working class men wore those caps when I was a kid.

^Fuckin fashionistas all up in here.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #343
I have no problem with grown men wearing those hats. My grandfather wore one, and my uncle started wearing one when he got older. There's nothing wrong with the hat unless you're also wearing the rest of the ridiculous outfit and not going to a costume party. Jesus christ wear regular pants at least.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #344
 :ohmy:

Jesus christ wear regular pants at least.

Exactly what my dad said about my bellbottom corset laced perfectly faded and exquisitely patched jeans in 1970.

Reply #345
I am totally getting some knickers like that. As soon as they come to my local Fred Meyer,  I'm buying them.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #346
Testy why must you relentlessly troll me? :sadcheer:

Reply #347