Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: You probably won't be protected from free speech that you don't like.

Topic: The Big Bang Theory is Unfalsifiable  (Read 755 times) previous topic - next topic

The Big Bang Theory is Unfalsifiable
 :sadyes:
Self-censorship is the lamest form of censorship.

Re: The Big Bang Theory is Unfalsifiable
Reply #1
Sorry guys, if something is unfalsifiable, we cannot entertain it as a theory. We have to forget about it.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #2
By coincidence Pahu recently posted some devastating religious apologetics that insists black holes do not exist and have been concocted in a conspiracy to save godless evolution (or something) so you are probably correct.  :sadcheer:
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #3
falsfiability is fucking dumb, dude..

Reply #4
just because it is not provable (falsifiable) now does not mean is unprovable forever..

Reply #5
I'm trying to remember why I put bsb on ignore.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #6
falsfiability is fucking dumb, dude..

.. which makes Pahu's copy-pasted unfalsifiable apologetic assertions that much more devastating to atheistic black-hole-big-bang so called science.   :parrot:

just because it is not provable (falsifiable) now does not mean is unprovable forever..

Jesus Lives.
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #7
More importantly, it's a crap TV show.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8
I don't think you should be conflating falsifiability with non-provability. Provability is for courts and alcohol, not science.
I also don't think the BBT is unfalsifiable. I imagine there are lots of things that if discovered would falsify BBT. The fact that they have not yet been discovered is of no import, what counts is if such things are reasonably consilient with what is known, ie - they are not inconsistent with what is known. Or if they are, then some explanation as to why they are and how that can be resolved.

My understanding is that as it currently stands, it is not inconsistent with what is known.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #9
I'm trying to remember why I put bsb on ignore. 

Does one need a reason?
Are we there yet?

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #10
You can tell because it has a laugh track.

I hate hate hate laugh tracks.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #11

Which is why they were developed in the first place. All part of the plan.
Are we there yet?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #12
The Big Bang Theory is Unfalsifiable
That's because it's unfalse

• el jefe
Reply #13

true, as a general point, but it feels wrong not to finish by emphasizing that the show itself is just godawfully unfunny.  the fact that its ratings keep going up anyway proves there is no justice in the world.

Reply #14

true, as a general point, but it feels wrong not to finish by emphasizing that the show itself is just godawfully unfunny.  the fact that its ratings keep going up anyway proves there is no justice in the world.
Maybe equally disturbing is the fact that it actually doesn't have a laugh track. It's filmed in front of a live studio audience. Those are real people actually laughing because they think the show is funny.

• el jefe
Reply #15
ugh that is more disturbing

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #16

Maybe equally disturbing is the fact that it actually doesn't have a laugh track. It's filmed in front of a live studio audience. Those are real people actually laughing because they think the show is funny.
Interesting.  Now if I could use that knowledge in order to suppress my "omg-I-hate-this-laughter" reflex, then theoretically I could watch the show and decide for myself whether it's as unfunny as people here say it is.

Not a high priority, though.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #17
TBBT is like almost every other "funny" show.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #18
There are a bunch of clips where people have removed the laughter. I think the overall effect is that the pauses where the actors are waiting for the laughter to subside before delivering their next line tend to come off as vaguely creepy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

• el jefe
Reply #19

Interesting.  Now if I could use that knowledge in order to suppress my "omg-I-hate-this-laughter" reflex, then theoretically I could watch the show and decide for myself whether it's as unfunny as people here say it is.

Not a high priority, though.
it's formulaic.  90% of the jokes are "lol, we are such nerds! look how nerdy we are!  lol!"

• el jefe
Reply #20
imo, things can be nerdy and funny.  but just saying "look what nerds we are!" over and over again is not a joke, it's just dumb.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #21
maybe I should move the entire thread over to A&E, just to annoy boris

Reply #22

Big Bang Theory predicts that galaxies farther from Earth will be moving away from Earth faster than galaxies that are closer. Since this prediction could be shown to be wrong using observations we know how to make, Big Bang Theory is falsifiable.

Reply #23

Big Bang Theory predicts that galaxies farther from Earth will be moving away from Earth faster than galaxies that are closer. Since this prediction could be shown to be wrong using observations we know how to make, Big Bang Theory is falsifiable.

But what do you think of Kaley Cuoco's ass?

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #24
TBBT, like a lot of modern sitcoms, has a hybrid "audience track". Which is why a lot of folks understandably take it as a laugh track and in a way it technically is.

While they do in fact record "in front of a live studio audience" using that method has it's drawbacks. The best laugh you are going to get out of the audience is going to be on the first take of any scene so if the actors can't get it nailed down to the satisfaction of the director in a the first take or two the "good" laugh reaction is gone and requires editing the audience audio. It's almost always been an edit job for this reason.

Nowadays most shows do two or three "live recorded shows" of the same episode in one day in front of a unique audience for each show. They take from the best takes of each scene from each of the shows and ditto for the best laughs for each take and stitch that together to create the episode. IOW the laughs you hear might have been for the same scene in front of a different audience in a later or earlier show.

There also arises a problem occasionally where a joke sucks and just falls flat and the audience's reaction is appropriately lack luster. If it's a scene or particular dialog that they can't outright toss or are unwilling/unable to re-write on the fly, because it's tangled up with the plot or other dialogue too deeply and it's too much work "logistically," they will take a snippet of laughter from the audience that was present for the shows but from somewhere else in the episode and edit that in.

The result of all this is a live audience track that's been edited and smoothed enough to come off to the acutely observant like canned laughter. Or blatantly obvious if the editing audio engineer totally sucks at their job. A well written show with excellent audio engineers and editors can mask this process enough you don't or almost never notice.

I suppose it's the best or worst, half empty / half full glass, of both worlds depending on your... whatever.

maybe I should move the entire thread over to A&E, just to annoy boris

Bazinga!

• Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:05:53 PM by Doobie Keebler