Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: PZ Myers is a leading biologist

Topic: Winter Olympics 2018 (Read 1169 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Winter Olympics 2018
Off to a great start with Russia being banned!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/05/568585759/russia-faces-2018-olympics-ban-as-ioc-rules-on-widespread-doping

The International Olympic Committee has suspended the Russian Olympic Committee "with immediate effect," essentially banning the country from the upcoming Winter Olympics over Russia's system of state-supported cheating by athletes using performance-enhancing drugs.

Russian athletes can compete in the 2018 Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, the IOC said Tuesday -- but the athletes will have to pass strict scrutiny, and instead of wearing their nation's uniform, they will compete under the title "Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)."

"They will compete with a uniform bearing this name and under the Olympic Flag," the IOC said. "The Olympic Anthem will be played in any ceremony."

More on the doping scandal:
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/12/kremlin-doping-scandal-sochi-winter-olympics/547616/

We now know how Mutko was able to achieve that jump, from 11th place to first, in such a short amount of time: an extensive, state-sponsored doping campaign. After a German documentary interviewed two Russian athletes who had fled Russia and had become whistleblowers about how systematically Russia dopes its athletes, key figures in the world of Russian anti-doping started turning up dead under mysterious circumstances. This prompted Grigory Rodchenkov, the head of the Russian anti-doping agency, to flee, fearing for his life, to Los Angeles and to the director Bryan Fogel. The two had been working together on Fogel's riveting documentary, "Icarus," about how easy it is for an athlete to dope and test clean. Rodchenkov, who had been coaching Fogel in his quest to dope for a cycling event and dupe the tests, decided to confess to Fogel, on camera. He also told his story to The New York Times, and then went into U.S. government witness protection.

Rodchenkov ran the lab at Sochi during the Winter Olympics, and what he did there was essentially what he did for Fogel, but on a more massive scale: helping dozens of athletes dope all through the Games while testing negative on every single test. The story he told to the Times and to Fogel would strain the imagination, were it not independently confirmed by two investigations: one by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and one by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Here is the summary of the operation, from the Times:

The director, Grigory Rodchenkov, who ran the laboratory that handled testing for thousands of Olympians, said he developed a three-drug cocktail of banned substances that he mixed with liquor and provided to dozens of Russian athletes, helping to facilitate one of the most elaborate--and successful--doping ploys in sports history.

It involved some of Russia's biggest stars of the Games, including 14 members of its cross-country ski team and two veteran bobsledders who won two golds.

In a dark-of-night operation, Russian antidoping experts and members of the intelligence service surreptitiously replaced urine samples tainted by performance-enhancing drugs with clean urine collected months earlier, somehow breaking into the supposedly tamper-proof bottles that are the standard at international competitions, Dr. Rodchenkov said. For hours each night, they worked in a shadow laboratory lit by a single lamp, passing bottles of urine through a hand-size hole in the wall, to be ready for testing the next day, he said.

By the end of the Games, Dr. Rodchenkov estimated, as many as 100 dirty urine samples were expunged.

None of the athletes were caught doping. More important, Russia won the most medals of the Games, easily surpassing its main rival, the United States, and undermining the integrity of one of the world's most prestigious sporting events.

All of this, Rodchenkov said, was overseen by an officer of the federal security services, the FSB, and had the approval of Mutko and Putin.

• nesb
Re: Winter Olympics 2018
Reply #1
https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018/1/18/16906216/russia-track-and-field-athletes-illness-drug-testing

36 Russian athletes withdrew from track and field competition when drug testers arrived

• MikeS
Reply #2
https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018/1/18/16906216/russia-track-and-field-athletes-illness-drug-testing

From 2016 ...
one athlete, who heard she would be tested following a race, simply ran out of the stadium and never finished.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
Ok, guys, who's watching?

Currently rooting for the Canadians in pair skating. :cheer:

Reply #4
On and off. Canadians were beautiful and amazing.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #5
I mostly enjoyed watching the Germans waiting for the results

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #6
Yes, and halfway through their program after they did some difficult things, Duhamel had a huge smile on her face and looked like she was enjoying the hell out of herself. They were also super mega Canadian. <3 When the Germans officially won, she hugged both of them and was saying nice things to Savchenko.

I don't know if you got to see the Germans, but they were flawless. It was pretty cool. And her reactions afterward were priceless. Calm and collected up until it was official, and then it was pure joy and lots of crying. Amazing to see someone go through five Olympics and finally win.

eta

I mostly enjoyed watching the Germans waiting for the results

lol I think he was mostly on the verge of tears because if they didn't win, she would probably murder him on live TV for having missed that triple jump in the other program and having done a double instead.

Reply #7
Yeah, I watched their routine too. I have a hard time telling me which ones are good without the announcers telling me, but theirs was basically mistake free so I figured it was good.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8
Basically, if they make it look like it's super easy for them without it being simple enough to be boring, then they're probably doing quite well.

Kind of half-watching the women's giant slalom right now. I don't understand how people can do this kind of sport and not die but I guess in places like Norway, it's just what you do when you need to go to the store and pick up some bread and pickled herring.

Reply #9

Reply #10
Kind of half-watching the women's giant slalom right now. I don't understand how people can do this kind of sport and not die but I guess in places like Norway, it's just what you do when you need to go to the store and pick up some bread and pickled herring.
I remember when Katie Couric said something similar during the opening ceremony.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:02:58 AM by thatsneakyguy

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #11
Yeah, I saw some of the snowboarding. It was really cool. Except Shaun White seems like he's a mega asshole. I watched some of the snowboard cross, which I had never seen before, and man that event is crazy.

Also just watched Yuzuru Hanyu, and he was amazing:

That doesn't even show most of the Pooh bears people threw on the ice. They had a shot of a gigantic pile of them, and people were still throwing more.

Reply #12
I watched the snowbroad race where the Italian won gold after the American has been winning for most of the race and then dropped to fourth.  I also watched Adam Rippon's skate.

• MSG

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #14
haha yeah I heard about that.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #15
ok i'm quitting school and moving to canada to become an ice dancer brb

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #16
Hoping that the Canadian women's hockey team can score gold for the 5th time in a row.

Don't really care as much about men's hockey, tbh.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #17
Hoping that the Canadian women's hockey team can score gold for the 5th time in a row.
didn't happen.  bummer.

Reply #18

Don't really care as much about men's hockey, tbh.

:smug:

Also just beat you in curling.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #19

Reply #20
Don't really care as much about men's hockey, curling tbh.
FYP. We're already out the women's. :(
Why do I bother?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #21
didn't happen.  bummer.

A fucking shootout.

I can't even.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #22
didn't happen.  bummer.

A fucking shootout.

I can't even.

I wish they'd come up with a better solution than a shoot-out. Sorry, Canadians. :canada:

One of the Canadian skaters, Daleman, just fell multiple times during her free program, and it was really sad. :sadcheer:

I have a feeling Medvedeva might choke, but even if she doesn't, Zagitova is probably going to win. I hope Osmond gives them a run for their money.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #23
National pride aside, I love watching women's hockey. It's entirely personal bias, but I just find the moves and strategies so savagely elegant and precise. Men's hockey is exciting, but doesn't grab my attention in the same way.

Reply #24
*shakes fist at NHL*
Why do I bother?