Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: still kind of in awe that theres an argument going on about the fact that there's a word for a thing

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 131159 times) previous topic - next topic

Dave Hawkins, Fenrir, Alfonso Bivouac (+ 2 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #24200
Lol

You really are stuck, aren't you?
This got me thinking about Pirsig. In his example, the stripped screw was a gumption trap,  it just impeded forward motion. But what if the mechanic initially set out to fiddle with the engine with the goal of making, say, a cow? A real cow. That would lead to the same sort of stuckness but with an entirely different Zen issue.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Pingu
Reply #24201
Lol

This got me thinking about Pirsig. In his example, the stripped screw was a gumption trap,  it just impeded forward motion.

heh.  Me too.

But what if the mechanic initially set out to fiddle with the engine with the goal of making, say, a cow? A real cow. That would lead to the same sort of stuckness but with an entirely different Zen issue.

Interesting.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #24202
Lol

This got me thinking about Pirsig. In his example, the stripped screw was a gumption trap,  it just impeded forward motion.

heh.  Me too.

But what if the mechanic initially set out to fiddle with the engine with the goal of making, say, a cow? A real cow. That would lead to the same sort of stuckness but with an entirely different Zen issue.

Interesting.
I think he basically felt like he'd dealt with this issue when he described the scientific method as learning to ask the narrowest question possible. Basically, you can't fix just wrong. While I would agree with the statement, (realizing that it is my statement and I am hypothesizing that it might have been his position), I think it is the more interesting issue.

Reply #24203
Where I'm at in the "Mark Shepard Big Picture" ...

1)  I'm situated on what was once a wild Oak Savannah densely populated with animals of every size

2)  The Europeans invaded, cut down most of the trees, killed most of the animals,  and set up annual staple crop tillage systems.

3)  along comes Dave and starts with the restoration by planting grass

4)  animals are introduced in a rotationally grazed system, and that's where we are at right now.

5)   I already have one 2 acre band of trees, and I may introduce two or three more bands of trees in the future.

The end.

• Pingu
Reply #24204
OK, if that's the end, then maybe turn to the implications of the agreement between the radiocarbon calibration curves for both Brown's model and YEC?

ETA: But I have to say, if that's a fair summary of what you see yourself doing, In all sincerity I wish you all the best.  We should all do our bit to try to live more lightly on the land and leave the world better rather than worse than we found it, and not enough of us do. 

Cool.

Just have a think about those curves when you have a moment.  There's a vast and awesome world that could open up for you :)
  • Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:50:51 PM by Pingu

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #24205
The "here and now" for me is my little 10 acre patch, and while it will take me many years to "Mark Shepardize" it, I am making progress.  I'm developing my sustainable animal food production system and I am developing sustainable housing my way and working with my county  constructively to make rules more permie friendly.

Planted a nut-tree  yet?
Has Bluffy planted any trees yet?
And, BTW, how are the trees he mutilated doing?
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #24206
Where I'm at in the "Mark Shepard Big Picture" ...

1)  I'm situated on what was once a wild Oak Savannah densely populated with animals of every size

[snippety snip snip]

Do you have any definition for your used of the term "densely" above and if so, any sort of support for that definition?
Are we there yet?

Reply #24207
I'm situated on what was once a wild Oak Savannah densely populated with animals of every size

Delurking here to ask a question: Where has it been established that the North American Great Plains were once an Oak Savannah? I thought the area was outside the natural range of that species. Was I misinformed?

• Pingu
Reply #24208
I'm situated on what was once a wild Oak Savannah densely populated with animals of every size

Delurking here to ask a question: Where has it been established that the North American Great Plains were once an Oak Savannah? I thought the area was outside the natural range of that species. Was I misinformed?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_savanna

ETA:

Mark Shepard and Dave both seem to be in the yellow stripe.
  • Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:56:26 PM by Pingu

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #24209
Where I'm at in the "Mark Shepard Big Picture"
The end.
So...
Is the world saved yet?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #24210
The world has been saved since last Thursday.
Truth is out of style

Reply #24211
the world doesn't want to be saved.

Reply #24212
Not until we're all shitting in buckets and cleaning our dishes with cat spit.

Reply #24213
The end.
So...
Is the world saved yet?
Not yet.  But Homer Solomon is very happy tonight!
  • Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:45:20 PM by Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #24214
The end.
So...
Is the world saved yet?
Was this some sort of doomsday reference?
It's been 3 days
The end.
So...
Is the world saved yet?
Was this some sort of doomsday reference? I mean, I sort of get the Homer reference from the Sahara was green and lush fantasy but not the Solomon one.

And it's been 64 hours since anyone posted in this thread, is it dead?
If so, why?
I mean, is Bluffy's renowned intransigent militantly willful narcissistic DK posterboy ignorance a reason now anymore than in the past?
Yeah, sure, he's determined to deny reality but that's always been the case. If it were a reason, then nobody should have responded to him in the first place, ever.

Oh well, I guess I can get some work done now.
Are we there yet?

Reply #24215
Not dead

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #24216
Not dead
So, Bluffy, you're just hiding out, lurking.
Nothing to say, no way to effectively rebut?
As the old advice goes: "Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Except in your case, there's been no doubt for years.
So what do you have to lose?
Are we there yet?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #24217
He's busy.
Remember: Fall 2017 was the target date for settling The Aged P's into their very own Davetopia hovel.
It is now Fall 2017.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #24218
I picture (because pretty sure Dave really does love his mom and dad) a nice, brand new economically priced all mod-cons turnkey mini-home currently landing or already landed on a gravel pad near Dave's hut. Irl Dave knows it will take him ages to build a suitable strawbale home for an elderly and somewhat infirm couple. The mini-home takes no time to set up, will have everything they need, on one level, with safe floors, good lighting, easily cleaned.

Nice view of the woods too.

Bets on Dave ever telling us about it?

Reply #24219
Lol

Reply #24220

Reply #24221
The "Aged P's" are making a slow transition to my house to see if it works for them. Slow progress building the new house but I did get the dirt pad and grey water basin dug.  Lots of rain and a brown recluse bite slowed things down.

Reply #24222
Plus I'm just slow ... and busy.  Spent quite a bit of time with my ex and kids this summer ... worked the old Sears job a lot and made a bunch of money ...
  • Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:38:35 PM by Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #24223
More like stopped.
Are we there yet?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #24224
  Spent quite a bit of time with my ex and kids this summer ...
Right!
There was that coaching of the one on how to teach pseudoscience to susceptible young minds, for instance.
How'd that go?