Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• You aint got eight telescopes and a house in Monterey. I aint got a healthy heart. We all have our crosses to bear.

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 84653 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #8075
Only losers fly Delta.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8076
I'm still utterly dumbstruck that Trump managed to get to be president of the world's largest economy and doesn't know the difference between the debt, the deficit and stock market delta.

So much for a businessman being better able to understand the economy.
every time I hear about trump's supposedly awesome business career, I think of this

http://www.theonion.com/article/ceo-worked-way-son-ceo-53652

• el jefe

• el jefe
Reply #8078

• ksen

• Pingu
Reply #8080
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• ksen
Reply #8081

Literally just over an hour after he demeaned and denigrated all of Puerto Rico.

This presidency can't be done soon enough.

• el jefe
Reply #8082
chuck grassley (r-ia) twitter rants at trump's claims about his tax reform plan

https://www.axios.com/chuck-grassley-fact-checks-trump-2495933471.html?utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=organic

newsworthy for three reasons.  it's yet another prominent conservative / republican joining this week's pile - on of trump.  grassley has been one of the most reluctant critics of trump among republicans, and imo has often acted as an apologist for him.  lastly, anything negative from a gop senator in relation to tax reform is significant right now, given the effort was already in trouble and in danger of collapsing.  and grassley wasn't one of the senators they were worried about.

Reply #8083
I use to listen to NPR on my morning commute, I haven't for months now.

• el jefe
Reply #8084
between the pile-on of trump by prominent republicans and conservatives, and the flurry of not-for-attribution press reports ringing new alarms about trump's mental state, guapo says the gop establishment and conservative movement have finally reached a tipping point on trump.

he fucked up obamacare repeal, he's making deals with democrats that undercut the right's budget priorities, he's steering the party in a wrong and dumb direction on several issues, he constantly embarasses them with his jackassery and coziness with racists.  now he's in the process of fucking up tax reform, which would leave the party demoralized and their activists and campaign donors apoplectic. 

I think the sheer stupidity of him picking the fight with corker when he did pushed a bunch of people over a line.  they had rationalized the negatives of working with him in the hopes that together they could achieve some conservative policy goals.  he is on the verge of largely failing to deliver on their goals, leaving only drawbacks to working with him.

some of them are starting to make the case for impeachment or invoking the 25th.  I don't think either of those will happen.  but I do think we are at or near a point where the gop blows off trump and tries to govern around him.  no longer cooperates or coordinates on messaging and policy except where they have to.  just focuses on trying to deliver for business and conventional conservative voters.

and thanks to their narrow senate majority, the only way they can succeed at that is to do reasonable, bipartisan stuff where most of the country is in agreement.  this brings me back to my prediction that we will see movement on moderate immigration reform and criminal justice reform.  if passed with big enough majorities, it won't matter whether trump wants to sign or veto.

though the democrats might say "fuck you, you nominated and elected this guy.  we're not going to help you distance yourself from him", and then drag their feet tea party style for the next 13 months, leaving a humiliated, demoralized, do-nothing gop to explain their utter worthlessness to primary and general election voters alike.  i would be ok with either outcome.

• Pingu
Reply #8085
between the pile-on of trump by prominent republicans and conservatives, and the flurry of not-for-attribution press reports ringing new alarms about trump's mental state, guapo says the gop establishment and conservative movement have finally reached a tipping point on trump.

Damn.  I thought the gop establishment and conservative movement had finally reached a tipping point on trump.
 :sadcheer:

• el jefe
Reply #8086
oh, did I jinx it?

• Pingu
Reply #8087
oh, did I jinx it?

I think I already did.  I jinxed Brexit, then I jinxed Hillary.

Reply #8088
I keep telling you guys, this is the long haul. It's just gonna get worse.

• Pingu
Reply #8089
Well, at least that's cheering.

Reply #8090
until you accept the situation, you can't work to improve the situation

• ksen
Reply #8091

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8092

lol how cute

• ksen
Reply #8093
Kind of like how the Affleck family has reached a tipping point with Harvey Weinstein.

• el jefe
Reply #8094

lol how cute
just like it was cute when mccain was saying mavericky things about Obamacare repeal?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8095
nah more like how cute it was basically a year ago when they were so totally absolutely done with that disgusting sack of shit after the apprentice tape was released and how they've been totally absolutely done with him like a dozen times since then

• ksen
Reply #8096
Are you chicksplaining our mansplanations?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8097
actually i think it's a good time for men to basically shut up about everything for like a day or two, at least

• el jefe
Reply #8098
I'm not saying they've suddenly grown standards, I'm saying the political cost/benefit analysis is changing for them, now that the possible benefits they see in working with him  have all either failed to materialize and mostly missed the window to do so or already been cashed in, primarily the former.

Reply #8099
The problem with all of that reasoning is that they're kind of committed now. That's what I think you don't get. They've committed to a plan of action (repealing obamacare, cutting taxes) that require Trump to be on their side, and if they don't do those things, they lose donor support. They're also committing to this voter disenfranchisement program, so they really don't have much in the way of exit strategies. Their only hope is to pander to their hardcore base and try to harm everyone else's access to votes. At this point, they've pissed off everyone with ethics, so they can't really go back to the center and say "hey, I've really always been a moderate" because you can't do what they've done so far and pretend to be a moderate. So either they need to be prepared to throw their political career away to make a principled stand (Collins, Corker, McCain) or they need to double down. Most are going to continue to do the latter, and that's what we're seeing.

If you think the republicans are going to suddenly decide that supporting Trump is politically insolvent, you're just not paying attention.