Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Do you feel threatened by my ideas?

Topic: Immigration/border patrol megathread (Read 9028 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Immigration/border patrol megathread
Reply #500
how is it news that trump is racist?  honestly surprised anyone's surprised by this.
why are you like this
because I already thought trump was obviously racist?

You're the only genius who cracked the fucking case. Well done. :golfclap:

eta i guess i shouldn't make fun of men for failing to understand emotions other than anger since it's not your fault that you're emotionally illiterate
sorry.  I need to keep in mind that it's not just about whether there's new information - people less calloused than me are going to feel something with each reminder.

Reply #501
"why did this thing catch fire and spark widespread outrage/discussion/etc but not this thing" can be an interesting sociological question, but yeah plenty of people, including in our media, are still happily pretending Trump's a more or less normal president who is going to pivot any day now and isn't deeply racist even though he explicitly defending neonazis already. I don't know why the accusations against Weinstein caused the tidal wave of #metoo stuff we've seen versus previous allegations, or why "shitholes" seems to be resonating more, but I'll take it.

eta: also most people aren't nearly as online as a lot of us are so they only catch bits and pieces every once and awhile, and "shitholes" is pretty eye/ear-catching.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #502
Let me put it this way: if Trump dropped the n-word on TV or in a tweet, I guarantee you would have a visceral reaction to it, no matter how massive the pile of evidence for his being a racist piece of shit already is. Seeing the subtext painfully and obviously become loud, unabashed text is just upsetting because it doesn't matter how many times you've heard it, it's still coming out of the fucking shithole that is the mouth of the President of the goddamn United States, and that means it's more than just words. It's a reminder that this is the rotten core of all of these bullshit fucking policies that are actively harming and killing people.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #503
Trump is now denying he said 'shithole countries', but I don't think anyone believes him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/12/donald-trump-shithole-countries-tweet-denies-immigration-talks

• el jefe
Reply #504
curious whether anyone has a recording or whether any republicans who were there will confirm

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #505
curious whether anyone has a recording or whether any republicans who were there will confirm
The fact that no one denied it after the ensuing (pardon the expression) shitstorm is pretty hard to explain away.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
Reply #506
and trump's semi-denial this morning is cautiously-worded.  he acknowledges using "tough language", but denies the particular quote attributed to him in vague enough terms that if a tape did come out, he could justify the denial by nitpicking some unimportant detail.

and even now he does not seem to be denying the general idea that he wants us to have fewer immigrants from Haiti and various African countries, and more from places like Sweden.

Reply #507
None of the Republicans present are commenting on it, and Dick Durbin went on record this morning said it's absolutely accurate.

• el jefe
Reply #508
yeah, lack of denials by republicans is noteworthy

• el jefe
Reply #509
right now there are a lot of hushed conversations going on between those republicans who weren't at the meeting and those who were.

"did he really say it?"

*looks around*  *exasperated nod*

Reply #510
Republicans are also white supremacists who are just mad about him saying the quiet parts loud.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #511

from the Guardian link:

But senator Dick Durbin, a Democrat was in the meeting, contradicted him in to local Chicago press on Friday morning. He said the president "in the course of his comments said things which were hateful, vile and racist".

"He said these hate-filled things, and he said them repeatedly," Durbin said.

"I cannot believe that in the history of the White House and the Oval Office, any president has ever spoken the words that I personally heard our president speak yesterday," he continued. "I've seen the comments in the press and I've not read one of them that's inaccurate."

The Republican senator Jeff Flake also contradicted the president, tweeting, "the words used by the President, as related to me directly following the meeting by those in attendance, were not 'tough,' they were abhorrent and repulsive."

• el jefe
Reply #512

Reply #513

from the Guardian link:

But senator Dick Durbin, a Democrat was in the meeting, contradicted him in to local Chicago press on Friday morning. He said the president "in the course of his comments said things which were hateful, vile and racist".

"He said these hate-filled things, and he said them repeatedly," Durbin said.

"I cannot believe that in the history of the White House and the Oval Office, any president has ever spoken the words that I personally heard our president speak yesterday," he continued. "I've seen the comments in the press and I've not read one of them that's inaccurate."

The Republican senator Jeff Flake also contradicted the president, tweeting, "the words used by the President, as related to me directly following the meeting by those in attendance, were not 'tough,' they were abhorrent and repulsive."

It's good for Durbin calling those statements out and backing up the reporting, but lol at this:

"I cannot believe that in the history of the White House and the Oval Office, any president has ever spoken the words that I personally heard our president speak yesterday,"

maybe not specifically "shithole," but we had literal slavers in the White House for many, many years. I'm sure plenty of extremely racist shit has been said in that room and by Presidents at least up until 2009.

• el jefe
Reply #514
I think we have nixon on tape saying racist shit, and lbj generally being crude and crass

• el jefe
Reply #515
I'm betting every president between ~1880 and ~1920 dropped the n-bomb in the oval office, since white supremacism was the norm then.  and wouldn't be surprised if some between 1920 and 1960 had done it too.

Reply #516
So what price should Democrats be willing to pay to get the DREAM Act passed? Border wall funding? Revising lottery visas? Reduction in family migration?

Reply #517
Let me put it this way: if Trump dropped the n-word on TV or in a tweet, I guarantee you would have a visceral reaction to it, no matter how massive the pile of evidence for his being a racist piece of shit already is. Seeing the subtext painfully and obviously become loud, unabashed text is just upsetting because it doesn't matter how many times you've heard it, it's still coming out of the fucking shithole that is the mouth of the President of the goddamn United States, and that means it's more than just words. It's a reminder that this is the rotten core of all of these bullshit fucking policies that are actively harming and killing people.

"Shithole countries" is not really worse than "they're rapists, they're murderers, and some I assume are good people" or various off-the-cuff statements about black people being animals or the sorts of things he has said about minority neighborhoods in Europe and the US, or saying there were some "very fine people" at a neonazi rally.

At this point, there's no doubt that Trump is a radical right-wing racist. He has said precisely as much over and over and over. I can see how guapo is saying "this is just not surprising" with it not really being a privilege thing so much as an exhaustion thing.

Reply #518
So what price should Democrats be willing to pay to get the DREAM Act passed? Border wall funding? Revising lottery visas? Reduction in family migration?

No price. Dems should threaten to tear this country apart in civil war if Trump fucks DREAM and DACA.

Reply #519
Ok but we know that:

1) that won't actually work politically and will result in DACA being dead
2) lol Dems with anything close to a spine for something like that
3) Dems would get owned by the largely CHUD military

Reply #520

"Shithole countries" is not really worse than "they're rapists, they're murderers, and some I assume are good people" or various off-the-cuff statements about black people being animals or the sorts of things he has said about minority neighborhoods in Europe and the US, or saying there were some "very fine people" at a neonazi rally.

At this point, there's no doubt that Trump is a radical right-wing racist. He has said precisely as much over and over and over. I can see how guapo is saying "this is just not surprising" with it not really being a privilege thing so much as an exhaustion thing.

I've decided that "shocked but not surprised" is how I'm describing my reaction to things like this.

Trump being racist, deeply incompetent and completely incapable of doing the job isn't a surprise to anyone that's paid attention for the last several years. The specific examples can still be shocking, though.

• el jefe
Reply #521
my conspiracy theory:  this buzz about bannon possibly cooperating with mueller is a threat to leverage trump into rejecting DACA

Reply #522
Ok but we know that:

1) that won't actually work politically and will result in DACA being dead
2) lol Dems with anything close to a spine for something like that
3) Dems would get owned by the largely CHUD military

there are plenty of ways to fight a war that the US military would not succeed at.

Reply #523
trump is actually the perfect american president because he just makes explicit the racist subtext of this country's political logic.

• el jefe
Reply #524
assuming fox and friends tomorrow morning will be a bunch of *smh* about the media's use of foul language
I was wrong

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fox-and-friends-says-trump-should-walk-back-shithole-comment/article/2645728

even fox and friends (very sugar-coatedly) suggested trump should take it back