Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: This week in White Male Privilege (Read 497 times) previous topic - next topic

This week in White Male Privilege

An assistant finance director at the Seminole County Clerk of Court and Comptroller's Office has been placed on administrative leave after posting Facebook comments suggesting that Orange-Osceola State Attorney Aramis Ayala "be tarred and feathered -- if not hung from a tree,"

http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/03/22/florida-official-suspended-pay-calling-hanging-african-american-state-attorney/

Suspended.

With pay.

Re: This week in White Male Privilege
Reply #1
what if we just suspended him.

with rope.

by the neck.

until dead. dead. dead.

Reply #2
Florida has so many people who need to be tarred and feathered AND hung from trees that it would need more trees and more feathers.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3
good thing there are plenty of overpasses too!

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
We need the potential tree hungers to meet the stand-your-grounders on a dark night with firecrackers.

Reply #5
We need the potential tree hungers to meet the stand-your-grounders on a dark night with firecrackers.
...and hope someone is there to catch it all on video!

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #6
Trump defends O'Reilly amid sexual harassment scandal
President Trump is defending Bill O'Reilly following a report that the Fox News host and his network reached settlements with five women who had accused him of harassment.

"I think he's a person I know well -- he is a good person," Trump said Tuesday in an interview with the New York Times.
Of course he is!
What's a little pussy-grabbing among bros?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #7
it seems like they recreated a bubble of the 50s behind the scenes at fox news and it is only now coming out, after 20 years.  ailes was the worst, apparently O'Reilly was pretty bad too.  one of the latest lawsuits targets bill shine, a former ailes lieutenant, claiming he took part in ailes' retribution against her, when she refused his sexual advances.

shine is ailes's handpicked successor to direct programming.  if he goes down too, I think the odds of a significant editorial shift at fox get better.

not that the sexual harassment and exploitation of these women isn't terrible on its own, but I'm going to go ahead and assert that the amount of harm done to the country and the world by fox's editorial slant is greater.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #8
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/328065-fox-confirms-law-firm-will-investigate-oreilly

the firm fox has hired to investigate O'Reilly is the same one they hired to investigate Ailes.  seems fair to say at the very least that it will not be a whitewashing.  the board wants a real, independent investigation, even if it means finding they have to fire their star anchor.

Reply #9
Tonight may have been O'Reilly's last show.  On Fox, anyway.

https://thinkprogress.org/bill-oreilly-vacation-be866a598919

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #10
major schadenfreude

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #12
with ailes and O'Reilly gone, along with megan kelly, greta van sustern, Gretchen Carlson, and half a dozen other women who were sexually harassed, and even Napolitano the seething clown suspended, fox is almost unrecognizable.

I guess archturds Hannity and tucker Carlson are still there.  so is Brett Baier, who is less of a blowhard than the others, but still a sneaky propagandist.  shepherd smith continues to look out of place as a halfway normal journalist.

can anyone who watches the channel say whether there's been a noticeable editorial change since ailes left last summer?  or is it the same shit as as always?

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13
like you don't keep up with fox news

• nesb

Reply #14
I don't watch cable news, but everything I read suggests Fox is still Fox. It wouldn't be too shocking to see them go centerist someday, though, since plenty of folks on the right already consider them too liberal.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15
they have close to half of the cable news market, and they are having trouble attracting non-baby boomers.  so whether they want to expand further or even stay afloat, they have to moderate a little bit.  I've assumed the token both-sides-isms of e.g., megan kelly, were an effort to look more reasonable without giving much editorial ground.

• nesb

Reply #16
Yeah. Under Ailes, at least, Fox purged/didn't-employ anyone not towing the line. Except a token on-air meek moderate or two. There's only so much you can renovate a house built out of garbage.

Reply #17
Fuck it! I'll do it live!

Reply #18

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
for o'reilly's replacement, they are considering people from The Five.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/329428-plenty-of-post-oreilly-options-scenarios-for-fox-news

Four names are seen as the most likely candidates to fill O'Reilly's shoes if reports of his demise are true: "The Five" co-host and "Cashin' In" host Eric Bolling, "The Five" co-host and former White House press secretary Dana Perino, "The Five" co-host and former "Red Eye" host Greg Gutfeld, and "Watters World" host Jesse Watters, a longtime producer and man-on-the-street interviewer on "The O'Reilly Factor."

having never actually watched the show, I've gotten the impression that (like fox and friends) it is terrible even by fox's standards.  like they aren't even making an effort, they just have a few people read talking points to each other for an hour.

guapo's odds are they go with perino.  she is not a dude, and they want to signal that fox is not an old boy's club.  but who knows?  bolling would be a more natural fit for former O'Reilly viewers they might want to hang on to.  he looks and sounds like an idiot (probably really isn't, as a former commodities trader, but appearances are what counts) and O'Reilly's demographic is mostly uneducated people who feel threatened by big words and nuance.

Reply #20
  • Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:12:24 AM by borealis

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #21
long politico piece on how trump has affected conservative media:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/21/trump-conservative-media-breitbart-fox-news-wall-street-journal-215035

I found it interesting all the way through, though you guys might find parts of it boring or gag-reflex inducing.  I feel like it incidentally gives a lot of information on the particulars of how conservative media and alt-right media operate.

tl;dr version:  it's frustrating when you work really hard on your propaganda, and then a crazy new guy takes over your movement and forces you to do all new propaganda, with a different message.  worse yet, the new message seems to shift continually.  it is especially tough on outlets like wsj or nr, whose pretense of intellectual rigor is difficult to maintain while trying to keep up with the random impulses of a mental 8-year-old.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #22
Gutfeld is a jerk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Gutfeld#Apology_to_Canadians

https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Hate-Triumph-Whiners-Outrage/dp/0307986985
His latest book is called "How To Be Right: The Art of Being Persuasively Correct". Without even looking up what it's about, my guess is: He took Schopenhauer's Art of Being Right, revised the framework and adapted arguments, then served it as a serious, non-satirical book.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #23
rumor that bill shine (ailes' hand-picked replacement to direct programming) asked the Murdoch brothers for a "statement of support" and didn't get it.  my impression is that shine's departure would, more than anything else, increase the likelihood of a significant editorial shift at fox. 

hard to say how much this corroborates my thinking, but Sean Hannity is panicking on twitter that shine being fired would be the "total end" of fox as we know it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/330965-sean-hannity-issues-dire-warning-about-the-total-end-of-fox-news
  • Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:29:04 AM by el jefe

Reply #24
having never actually watched the show, I've gotten the impression that (like fox and friends) it is terrible even by fox's standards.  like they aren't even making an effort, they just have a few people read talking points to each other for an hour.
i've been a captive audience for it at the laundromat and while this is basically correct, there's a little bit more to it. it's not just that they swap talking points, there's a... tutorial aspect to it. like they're arming their audience for their next political argument.