Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Yankee doodle gizmos and whizbangs probably pwned by Russia too. (Read 99 times) previous topic - next topic

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Yankee doodle gizmos and whizbangs probably pwned by Russia too.
US energy systems at the mercy of cyberattack, warns report

The digital systems that run the electricity grid, gas pipelines and other critical infrastructure in the US have 25 years' worth of fundamental weaknesses to hacking that need fixing.

That's a main finding in a report from MIT's Internet Policy Research Initiative by a former National Security Agency inspector general, Joel Brenner, with input from industry experts.

"Controls on an oil pipeline can use the same hardware as your teenager's computer," says Brenner. Suppliers make the most profit by selling general hardware components that have various uses, but they have security flaws. "We know how to fix the vulnerabilities, but there's no market incentive for companies to do so," he says.
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Re: Yankee doodle gizmos and whizbangs probably pwned by Russia too.
Reply #1

The digital systems that run the electricity grid, gas pipelines and other critical infrastructure in the US have 25 years' worth of fundamental weaknesses to hacking that need fixing.

That's a main finding in a report from MIT's Internet Policy Research Initiative by a former National Security Agency inspector general, Joel Brenner, with input from industry experts.

"Controls on an oil pipeline can use the same hardware as your teenager's computer," says Brenner. Suppliers make the most profit by selling general hardware components that have various uses, but they have security flaws. "We know how to fix the vulnerabilities, but there's no market incentive for companies to do so," he says.
No market incentive? Really?
I'd have thought not having to worry about a foreign government or just about anybody else taking over my assets and leaving them destroyed with my reputation in ruins, charges of treason and collusion and, assuming I'm actually a good guy, my grief over the destruction of my community, perhaps my nation, not to mention not having to feel guilty about it all would be incentive enough.

Then again, I'm not and never have been the owner/operator of any sort of private or public utility or critical private or public facility.
Are we there yet?

Reply #2
I'd have thought not having to worry about a foreign government or just about anybody else taking over my assets and leaving them destroyed with my reputation in ruins, charges of treason and collusion and, assuming I'm actually a good guy, my grief over the destruction of my community, perhaps my nation, not to mention not having to feel guilty about it all would be incentive enough.
Why would you think that? Fully a third of your compatriots think that's an okay way to run a government.

Reply #3
From what I've seen, energy businesses put a ton of effort into separating the process controls from the rest of their network, and hence from internet access.  That strategy has probably become less effective over time.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
From what I've seen, energy businesses put a ton of effort into separating the process controls from the rest of their network, and hence from internet access.  That strategy has probably become less effective over time.
The "internet of things" has expanded at an exponential rate such that some items you purchase for an operating plant or utility system have hard-wire, WiFi or Bluetooth capability installed, you just don't connect them to stay secure.  But over time someone gets the grand idea to activate these systems without investigating the security protocals required.  Firewalls are only as effective as the people behind them, and a single unthought click on an attachment can infiltrate an entire system.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #5
Why would you think that? Fully a third of your compatriots think that's an okay way to run a government.

No market incentive? Really?

Then again, I'm not and never have been the owner/operator of any sort of private or public utility or critical private or public facility.

I would think the emboldenized sentence above would explain.
Then again, I'm just going on personal experience.
Are we there yet?