Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: SteveF posts sciencey things that no one reads before other sites copy him

Topic: Nevermind that Space Elevator, how about a giant building suspended from an orbiting asteroid? (Read 231 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Nevermind that Space Elevator, how about a giant building suspended from an orbiting asteroid?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridaineparnell/2017/03/29/skyscraper_suspended_on_asteroid/#74e5e5935194

The asteroid that Analemma Tower is connected to would be placed in a geosynchronous orbit that would describe a figure of eight over the Earth. The tower would be moving at its slowest speed at the top and the bottom of the figure eight orbit, allowing its inhabitants to interact with Earthlings at these points.

The slowest part of the entire trajectory would happen over New York and the whole trip would take 24 hours. The loop would also include passes over the south east coast of the US, Cuba, Ecuador and Peru.

• Fenrir
Re: Nevermind that Space Elevator, how about a giant building suspended from an orbiting asteroid?
Reply #1
Who is this Emma, and how are her sexual proclivities relevant?
It's what plants crave.

Re: Nevermind that Space Elevator, how about a giant building suspended from an orbiting asteroid?
Reply #2
Hmm. A huge asteroid in low earth orbit. What could go wrong?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3
Sounds like he jumped the gun, this should have been released Saturday.

• Faid
Reply #4
Hmm. A huge asteroid in low earth orbit. What could go wrong?
With a gigantic tower hanging below. These people seem to want to make a blend of all disaster movies, from the 70s through the 90s and up to today
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #5
What would make it scarier is if it were a Trump Tower.
Are we there yet?

Reply #6
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridaineparnell/2017/03/29/skyscraper_suspended_on_asteroid/#74e5e5935194

The asteroid that Analemma Tower is connected to would be placed in a geosynchronous orbit that would describe a figure of eight over the Earth. The tower would be moving at its slowest speed at the top and the bottom of the figure eight orbit, allowing its inhabitants to interact with Earthlings at these points.

The slowest part of the entire trajectory would happen over New York and the whole trip would take 24 hours. The loop would also include passes over the south east coast of the US, Cuba, Ecuador and Peru.
Wind resistance would cause the orbit to decay making the building crash and killing everyone.

• Faid
Reply #7
Emphasis on "Everyone"
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #8
"By placing a large asteroid into orbit over earth ..."

This reminds me of the old joke about how to get rich. 

"First, you take a million dollars and invest in..."

You can finish it with anything, the joke is in the first few words.  Just like the idiotic story.

"How do you build a cool new space building?  First, you place a large asteroid in in orbit over earth ..."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• ffejrxx
Reply #9
why dont we just pull the moon closer so its orbit is in sync with earth rotation'?

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #10
why dont we just pull the moon closer so its orbit is in sync with earth rotation'?
Then only a privileged few people on the planet will even get to see the moon, and you will no longer have a tidal system on the planet, destroying the habitat of many organisms that rely on it.  Sea levels on one side of the planet will be permanently higher, and on the other side, lower. 

It won't last anyway, since events on the planet can and do alter the rotational period (any big redistribution of mass like in a tsunami will do it), so the moon will drift again.  Though if one can move the moon, this point is moot.

Advantages: In 24-h you get the whole moon cycle, and have greatly increased the frequency of both solar and lunar eclipses (by about a factor of 28x more frequent).

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #11
That 28x factor doesn't account for the increased angular size of the moon, obviously.  There won't be any more annular solar eclipses, at any rate.  But many more totals.