Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: How climate skeptics are trying to influence 200,000 science teachers (Read 489 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

How climate skeptics are trying to influence 200,000 science teachers
I was vacillating between posting this in "Science" or "Politics", but then remembered we have this special place for exactly this kind of thing.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2017/0330/How-climate-skeptics-are-trying-to-influence-200-000-science-teachers

The Heartland Institute, a Chicago-based think tank promoting public policy based on individual liberty, limited government, and free markets, has mailed 25,000 copies of its book "Why Scientists Disagree About Global Warming" and an accompanying explanatory DVD to science teachers across the United States. It plans to continue the campaign until all 200,000 K-12 science teachers in the country have a copy.

< clip most of article, which you should read >

One teacher who won't be using the book is Lori Baker, a sixth-grade science teacher from Indiana, who described the contents of the package as follows: "I read quite a bit of the book, actually, and it was extremely frustrating. It's an attempt to sound science literate, but there's very little actual data," she told Frontline.

Specifically, she cited the first paragraph of the forward, which called Obama's description of the threat of climate change as "laughable" in comparison to the terrorist activities of the Islamic State militant group.

"That as a foreword to something claiming to be scientific is pretty shocking," said Ms. Baker.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Re: How climate skeptics are trying to influence 200,000 science teachers
Reply #1
And while we're on the subject of batshit-insane / dumb-as-rocks right-wing science denialists:

This Pennsylvania state legislator and gubernatorial hopeful (and gas drilling advocate) has a paradigm-challenging theory of global warming:
"I haven't been in a science class in a long time, but the earth moves closer to the sun every year-you know the rotation of the earth," Wagner said. "We're moving closer to the sun."

He added, "We have more people. You know, humans have warm bodies. So is heat coming off? Things are changing, but I think we are, as a society, doing the best we can."
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #2
"We have more people. You know, humans have warm bodies. So is heat coming off? Things are changing, but I think we are, as a society, doing the best we can."
Lol, that would still count as AGW
  • Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:20:40 AM by Faid
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
Actually, it would be TRUE AGW.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #4
And while we're on the subject of batshit-insane / dumb-as-rocks right-wing science denialists:

This Pennsylvania state legislator and gubernatorial hopeful (and gas drilling advocate) has a paradigm-challenging theory of global warming:
"I haven't been in a science class in a long time, but the earth moves closer to the sun every year-you know the rotation of the earth," Wagner said. "We're moving closer to the sun."

He added, "We have more people. You know, humans have warm bodies. So is heat coming off? Things are changing, but I think we are, as a society, doing the best we can."
It's rather sobering to think this fellow is allowed to cross the street without an adult.
Are we there yet?

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #5
A serious fuckhead.  Jesus christ
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #6
Put all AGW sceptics in the path of a class 5 cyclone, and let them deny that!  :p

Cruel but fair, IMHO.  :cheer:
Believer in High Powers, and naturally, logarithms.
Pikkiwoki is the one true god.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #7
Polar bear spotted in Scotland

Take that deniers, it has begun.  The lack of ice is driving wildlife south, and you are doomed. 
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #8
Nah, it is one of them white teddy-bears.

But faux news stories are acceptable on April 1.

Reply #9
Cows are the only hope for stopping global warming.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #10
You are a fuckwit.
Truth is out of style

Reply #11

Reply #12
"Methane"

Lol

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #13
You're still a fuckwit.
Truth is out of style

Reply #14
Methane is a lie. Fake news.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15
Goats produce less methane relative to cows.

David, however, is still a fuckwit.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #16
You are a fuckwit.
Nah.  Just a thread shitting troll.

Guys.  TRUTH MATTERS.   Absolute.  Fucking.  Truth.    Not 90% truth and 10% lie.  Not 95 and 15.  Not 99 and 1.  100% truth. Needs to be our goal.   Without that as our goal, society will crumble.

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #17
You are a fuckwit.

Those two options aren't mutually exclusive. Just sayin.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #18
You are a fuckwit.

Those two options aren't mutually exclusive. Just sayin.
So many options in "asshole à la carte".
I just wish there was some spirit left in him.  He's just dragging out the end, passive aggressively C&P stuff from websights who's ethics he finds despicable. 

Guys.  TRUTH MATTERS.   Absolute.  Fucking.  Truth.    Not 90% truth and 10% lie.  Not 95 and 15.  Not 99 and 1.  100% truth. Needs to be our goal.   Without that as our goal, society will crumble.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
It's April 2nd, Dave.

ETA oh wait you posted that yesterday lol

Reply #20
It's April 2nd, Dave.
He wrote that on April first.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #21
"Methane"

Lol
It's kind of amazing to me how much of a tell "Lol" has become for Dave. It pretty much directly translates to "I'm not informed enough to make an actual response, but I desperately want to seem like I'm running circles around you."

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #22
"Methane"

Lol
It's kind of amazing to me how much of a tell "Lol" has become for Dave. It pretty much directly translates to "I'm not informed enough to make an actual response, but I desperately want to seem like I'm running circles around you."
:sadyes:  exactly.

Reply #23
Lol

These people are so propagandized that they can't even figure out the meaning of "Lol"

Lol

Reply #24
"Methane"

Lol
:sadyes:  exactly.
Second those. It is somewhat on the same principle as when Dave uses really abusive words when referring to a post. A sure sign that there was a sane, thoughtful, kind, knowledgable entry.