Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Removing Assad (Read 1954 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Re: Removing Assad
Reply #250
it's gonna turn out he took all that stuff about him being a cuck or whatever seriously and that's why he changed his mind.
kinda like him demoting bannon because he didn't like the "president bannon" stuff

Reply #251
There was also reporting that the military got Trump to agree to that Yemen raid that got a Navy seal, an 8 year old American girl and dozens of other civilians killed by saying Obama was too much of a pussy to do it.

Reply #252
i seriously want to fuck up anyone still going on about BENGHAZI after that little fiasco.

Reply #253
i seriously want to fuck up anyone still going on about BENGHAZI after that little fiasco.

Same

• tysixtus

Reply #254
https://www.wsj.com/articles/syria-attack-exposes-failed-deal-to-rid-regime-of-chemical-weapons-1491963112

So apparently, everyone knew Syria still had the ability to make chemical weapons, and there were investigations around purported uses of them?  What the fuck?

Reply #255
best part is Trump going on and on about the cake he was eating when he ordered the strikes

Reply #256
while also forgetting what country he actually attacked

• ToThePoint
  • Needs a Life
  • search & destroy

Reply #257
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #258
https://www.wsj.com/articles/syria-attack-exposes-failed-deal-to-rid-regime-of-chemical-weapons-1491963112

So apparently, everyone knew Syria still had the ability to make chemical weapons, and there were investigations around purported uses of them?  What the fuck?
there have been regular claims of chemical weapons use, since the ink was still wet on the agreement. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_chemical_weapons_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War#Reported_chemical_weapons_attacks

I have no sense of what investigators have concluded about all these, whether or not they're mostly true or complete nonsense, and, if true, who is responsible, etc.

it does appear to be true that all the chemical weapons assad had which we were aware of back in 2013 were handed over and destroyed by the UN.  but it was always possible there were some we didn't know of, and/or that assad would simply make more.  chemical weapons are relatively cheap and easy to make or acquire, compared with other wmd's.

all that said, apparently the agreement failed and assad simply violated it.  at very least, what it has accomplished is to create international support for taking tougher action against assad ' s chemical weapons program and/or making sure he is ultimately removed from power.   we can say we bent over backwards to get a diplomatic solution here and it didn't work, and we will be right, and basically no one besides russia will disagree.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #259
https://www.gazeta.ru/army/news/9917039.shtml

Russian newspaper reporting that after the meeting with Tillerson and Putin, Lavrov said he suspects the US has been supporting Jabhat al-Nusra so they could potentially use them as a Plan B to violently overthrow Assad. He said that Obama's administration barely did anything to bomb al-Nusra and Islamic State until the Russian Air Force came in, and even after that, al-Nusra targets were spared during further bombings.

It's a good thing we're in the hands of a competent team of professional diplomats.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #260
iirc, obama's first airstrikes in syria were against al nusra

Reply #261
How many higher-ranking people at State or within the administration as a whole even know that Al-Nusra is a thing that exists?

• linus
  • Needs a Life

Reply #262
best part is Trump going on and on about the cake he was eating when he ordered the strikes
It's good that he gets lots of chocolate cake, but Pence and the kitchen staff need to make sure he drinks nothing but Pepsi.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #263
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/328614-us-intercepted-chemical-weapons-communications-in-syria-report

we intercepted a syrian government communication showing foreknowledge of the attack.  if this report is true (and it sounds credible), there's no longer any doubt the attack came from assad.

• tysixtus

Reply #264
What made it so obvious this time around is that neither Russia or Syria really denied it, beyond the usual perfunctory horseshit.  Not like last time, when Assad was weaving vast conspiracies about how the rebels could have done it.  This was just so brazen and unconcerned with consequences, like it was a test to see what they could get away with.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #265
What made it so obvious this time around is that neither Russia or Syria really denied it, beyond the usual perfunctory horseshit.
This may be horseshit, but with today's interview, he seems to be going beyond "perfunctory"

Syria's Assad: Chemical attack was fabrication
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #266
What made it so obvious this time around is that neither Russia or Syria really denied it, beyond the usual perfunctory horseshit.  Not like last time, when Assad was weaving vast conspiracies about how the rebels could have done it.  This was just so brazen and unconcerned with consequences, like it was a test to see what they could get away with.

idk, I think they are denying it this time.  assad keeps saying it is a fabrication. and they are sort of blaming the rebels, though they're doing it by saying they dropped a conventional bomb and it hit chemical munitions that the rebels had apparently been in possession of.  also, someone (assad or russia?) said the whole thing might be a false flag by the US.

so I don't think they're denying it any less than before.  though it's becoming increasingly clear their denials are lies.

• tysixtus

Reply #267
What made it so obvious this time around is that neither Russia or Syria really denied it, beyond the usual perfunctory horseshit.
This may be horseshit, but with today's interview, he seems to be going beyond "perfunctory"

Syria's Assad: Chemical attack was fabrication

That is new, hadn't seen it yet.

Do you guys remember the last time, when even respectable media outlets were floating the false-flag idea?  Or I am remembering it incorrectly?

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #268
what I remember last time is that there wasn't any publicly available evidence as to who was responsible for the attack, just assurances from *some* politicians and foreign governments that it was definitely assad, but disagreements from others about whether the evidence was beyond circumstantial. 

I also remember encountering some shrill propaganda claiming the evidence was so clear (without showing said evidence) that the only way to interpret obama's reluctance to get involved was some kind of malicious intent.  I remember thinking the whole thing smelled too much like the run-up to the iraq war and being glad obama found a diplomatic alternative.  (though of course we now know that the diplomatic solution failed, and have since gotten involved in the war anyway...)

Reply #269
in the one snippet I heard from assad, he went from a flat out denial to the "there is no proof or evidence..." which made me automatically assume guilt.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #270
saying you're not scum is a scum tell

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #271
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/27/world/middleeast/syria-damascus-airport-israel-hezbollah.html?_r=0

Syria is claiming Israeli jets struck a target near the Damascus International Airport.  An Israeli defense guy said basically, "Huh, sounds like something we'd do but I can't confirm or deny it."

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #272
they do this sometimes.  probably hit a chemical weapons site or a hezbollah cell.

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #273
I read that it was most likely munitions earmarked for Hezbollah.

eta: I just though the Israelie guy's response was funny.  "Yeah, sounds like something we'd do."