Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Not a taradiddle  (Read 245 times) previous topic - next topic

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Not a taradiddle
OMG I made the mistake of looking at flat earth crap, and found the explanation for the tides.  OMG it's really hard to believe these people are for real. That it's not just a huge joke.

Seriously.

If you look on a flat earth map, the path of the sun through the year (tropic of cancer to the tropic of Capricorn) is exactly where all the most and extreme tides are found on earth.
https://aplanetruth.info/2016/07/08/ocean-tides-on-flat-earth-explained/

wtf?  How can people be so idiotic in this day and age?  I weep for their children.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Re: Not a taradiddle
Reply #1
But it gets worse.

Bearing this fact in mind, that there exists a continual pressure of the atmosphere upon the Earth, and associating it with the fact that the Earth is a vast plane 'stretched out upon the waters,' and it will be seen that it must of necessity slightly fluctuate, or slowly rise and fall in the water. As by the action of the atmosphere the Earth is slowly depressed, the water moves towards the receding shore and produces the flood tide; and when by the reaction of the resisting oceanic medium the Earth gradually ascends the waters recede, and the ebb tide is produced. This is the general cause of tides.
https://christianflatearthministry.org/sun-moon-stars/what-causes-ocean-tides/

There are actually different "reasons" given by the different flat earth people to explain the tides. 
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #2
wtf?  How can people be so idiotic in this day and age?
:ironicat:
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
Wait till you get to their explanation on why the round of Antartica takes far less time than it should, if it was the Outer Rim of the world.

I can't say I remember the details, but terms like "time-space continuum" show up a lot.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #4
https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Ice_Wall

Jesus H Christ

Temperatures are thought to approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards. Exploration in this type of pitch black freezing environment is impossible for any man or machine. We live on a vast plane with an unknown diameter and an unknown depth. Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing the true dimensions of the earth is something which will forever be unknowable by man.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #5
But I guess if you already believe in the fairy tail of a sky God, anything goes
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
All I know is that, if I ever play an RPG on a Steampunk setting, "Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham" is going to be my character's name.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #7
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #8
I would say "people used to believe the most idiotic shit", except it seems people still believe it.

How fucking strange
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #9
"Parallax" would be my evil character.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #10
Good choice
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #11
Climate change "skeptic" laughs at Flat Earthers.

:grin:
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #12
Yeah I know. Isn't it cute?
Truth is out of style

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...So guys, what would your favorite Steampunk villain be called?

Reply #14
If your nemesis is "Parallax", then are you a steampunk Green Lantern? Because that would be awesome.
Why do I bother?

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15