Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Born Rich (Read 105 times) previous topic - next topic

Born Rich
https://youtu.be/8o46HH-TfNY

A documentary from 2003, by Jamie Johnson of the Johnson & Johnson empire.  It's an interwoven series of interviews with a bunch of other wealthy young people figuring out what being born rich actually means.   Or not figuring it out as the case may be.

Ivanka Trump was one of the interviewees.  Her comments probably wouldn't make much of an impact if it weren't for her current situation in life.  Most of the others were more introspective, edgy, comfortable, unconfortable, whatever.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Re: Born Rich
Reply #1
I'm friends with a guy who was born into that empire.  He was a drug addict/party animal that never had to work. His allowance bought him a comfortable lifestyle (modest house, expensive drug habit). He's now claiming that he was un-diagnosed bipolar and his drug abuse was his attempt to self-medicate.  :unsure:

Reply #3
In the years since the documentary was filmed, Ivanka seems to have doubled-down on the notion that her vast privilege is, in fact, a handicap. There's a sequence in her 2009 book, The Trump Card, in which she relays a story about the difficulty of setting up a childhood lemonade stand. From The New Yorker:

When Ivanka was a kid, she got frustrated because she couldn't set up a lemonade stand in Trump Tower. "We had no such advantages," she writes, meaning, in this case, an ordinary home on an ordinary street. She and her brothers finally tried to sell lemonade at their summer place in Connecticut, but their neighborhood was so ritzy that there was no foot traffic. "As good fortune would have it, we had a bodyguard that summer," she writes. They persuaded their bodyguard to buy lemonade, and then their driver, and then the maids, who "dug deep for their spare change." The lesson, she says, is that the kids "made the best of a bad situation."
:barf:

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
Those other kids were such lucky ducks.

• tysixtus

Reply #5
I wouldn't be able to watch shit like this, I would start loading my guns. 

Reply #6
should be in the "guillotine" thread imo