Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Can we not be called a Republic of Freethought anymore. It's a bit embarassing.

Topic: AI playing Go (Read 128 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Re: AI playing Go
Reply #1
There are video game records of at least three of the informal online games between Ke Jie and AlphaGo available. Out of the three, Ke Jie won two (though more were played, and I'm not sure what the final overall score was). If there are any Go players here who might be interested, below is the first, which was won by AlphaGo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrFUTqFGUk
  • Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:17:23 AM by Recusant

Reply #2
DeepMind has built a new version of AlphaGo--AlphaGo Zero. It was able to learn to play Go on its own from being given the rules, and went on to beat the original AlphaGo in every game it played.

"'It's able to create knowledge itself': Google unveils AI that learns on its own" | The Guardian

Google's artificial intelligence group, DeepMind, has unveiled the latest incarnation of its Go-playing program, AlphaGo - an AI so powerful that it derived thousands of years of human knowledge of the game before inventing better moves of its own, all in the space of three days.

Named AlphaGo Zero, the AI program has been hailed as a major advance because it mastered the ancient Chinese board game from scratch, and with no human help beyond being told the rules. In games against the 2015 version, which famously beat Lee Sedol, the South Korean grandmaster, in the following year, AlphaGo Zero won 100 to 0.

The feat marks a milestone on the road to general-purpose AIs that can do more than thrash humans at board games. Because AlphaGo Zero learns on its own from a blank slate, its talents can now be turned to a host of real-world problems.

At DeepMind, which is based in London, AlphaGo Zero is working out how proteins fold, a massive scientific challenge that could give drug discovery a sorely needed shot in the arm.

"For us, AlphaGo wasn't just about winning the game of Go," said Demis Hassabis, CEO of DeepMind and a researcher on the team. "It was also a big step for us towards building these general-purpose algorithms." Most AIs are described as "narrow" because they perform only a single task, such as translating languages or recognising faces, but general-purpose AIs could potentially outperform humans at many different tasks. In the next decade, Hassabis believes that AlphaGo's descendants will work alongside humans as scientific and medical experts.

Previous versions of AlphaGo learned their moves by training on thousands of games played by strong human amateurs and professionals. AlphaGo Zero had no such help. Instead, it learned purely by playing itself millions of times over. It began by placing stones on the Go board at random but swiftly improved as it discovered winning strategies.

[Continues . . .]

• ksen
Reply #3
I was looking for a good Go game for my phone but the ones I looked at l wasn't sure about.

Any good PC or mobile versions of the game you're aware of?

Reply #4
It's been a while since I played with computer Go programs. For PC, you could try Fuego and see what you think. There is also GNU Go, which has been around for a long time, but you need to hook it up to a GUI like MultiGo to use it. All those are free, but if you're willing to spend some money, Many Faces of Go is very good (I have an older version of that which isn't too bad for a kyu level player like myself). I expect that unless you've been playing Go for a while, either Fuego or GNU Go would be satisfactory.

For mobile, Google Play has three free programs. I use a dumbfone, so can't tell you whether any of these are good.

You can also play the 'bots' on IGS or KGS (uses a Java client). Those are 'live' servers, but you can also play 'turn-based' correspondence style Go on Dragon Go Server, while OGS offers both turn-based and live games. All of these servers are mostly for playing with other Go players, but offer Go playing programs (the 'bots' I mentioned above) as well.

You can take a look around Sensei's Library, which has a lot of information about Go programs, though you'll find that some of the links are out of date.
  • Last Edit: Today at 10:47:29 AM by Recusant