Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Making the war in Afghanistan Great Again. (Read 401 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Re: Making the war in Afghanistan Great Again.
Reply #25

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #26
I may be naive on this, but I like to think the primary target was the "infrastructure" - the system of tunnels - and the destruction of that is the more significant result than the body count.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #27
Well that's starting to make economic sense. No problem. :)
Truth is out of style

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #28
The real target was probably N Korea anyway; ISIS were just a convenient way to make a point.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #29
Meh. Pretty tenuous. They already have these bombs sitting around. All paid for. No refunds possible. So far they haven't had a suitable target for them. The other day, a suitable target turns up. Might as well drop one of the buggers and sort it out.

I mean it's the fucking war in Afghanistan. It's been going on since the Neolithic and absolute fuckloads of bombs have been dropped. If they dropped ten of the standard 1,000  lb bombs in one day, nobody would give a shit. They drop one 10,000 lb bomb, which they have already paid for anyway so it is a sunk cost regardless of what you do with the bloody thing, and it's supposed to be a huge hairy deal.
Truth is out of style

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #30
Sherman was pretty damn ruthless.
yes, he was.  although, unlike Grant, he was capable of feeling fear.  early in the war, before the country had a sense of how big and long a conflict they were in for, Sherman was freaking out, telling everyone basically "you don't get it", the war was going to last years and cost hundreds of thousands of lives, and the North needed to raise a huge army as soon as possible. the stuff he was saying was considered so ridiculous that he was declared mentally unfit and relieved of command.  iirc, he only got his command back after the intervention of his old friend, Grant, who had since risen through the ranks. in the end, Sherman ' s estimates of casualties and number of men required actually turned out to be low.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #31
Sherman was pretty damn ruthless.
yes, he was.  although, unlike Grant, he was capable of feeling fear.  early in the war, before the country had a sense of how big and long a conflict they were in for, Sherman was freaking out, telling everyone basically "you don't get it", the war was going to last years and cost hundreds of thousands of lives, and the North needed to raise a huge army as soon as possible. the stuff he was saying was considered so ridiculous that he was declared mentally unfit and relieved of command.  iirc, he only got his command back after the intervention of his old friend, Grant, who had since risen through the ranks. in the end, Sherman ' s estimates of casualties and number of men required actually turned out to be low.
Like the man said, "You're not ready for the TRUTH!"
Are we there yet?

• tysixtus
  • SAMURAI DORUGO

Reply #32
I may be naive on this, but I like to think the primary target was the "infrastructure" - the system of tunnels - and the destruction of that is the more significant result than the body count.

That's what this bomb was designed to destroy: infrastructure.  Massive bombs like this are not designed or deployed primarily to kill people.  They are too big, and too indiscriminate for that.  It is not like there are massive groups of mujihadeen standing around in formation, ready to get vaporized.

Reply #33
So you're saying Total War Middle East is unrealistic?