Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Planned violence in Berkeley for Trump Tax Day (Read 1693 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Re: Planned violence in Berkeley for Trump Tax Day
Reply #125
and, even if you think it's harmless, if you have friends or family who say racist stuff in private, you shouldn't be skeptical that racist attitudes are out there.  and I think it is a fair guess that most (if not all) white people at least know someone who does it.  I have known plenty, and i have spent most of my life among a relatively educated, northern, and liberal crowd.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not skeptical at all that there are plenty of racist people out there because I happen to be related to a bunch of them. My dad is unabashedly racist against certain groups. When talking to actual individual people who are black or Mexican or Guatemalan or whatever, he's perfectly amiable and likes to chat and thinks they're all good people, but his underlying assumptions don't change. He doesn't think that people should be treated differently under the law based on their race or ethnic origin. But he'll still say shit like, "How come Africans are the only people who've never accomplished anything?" and be 100% serious (and also won't listen to a word I say). And among born and bred Americans, I've heard questionable shit from people sort of cautiously testing the waters, and my assumption is that what they would say if they felt more comfortable would be even worse.

But it's only considered racism if it's actively harming someone in a very concrete way, right this minute. Which is why I think so many people react so strongly to the word. How dare you equate me saying "that's what all latinos are like" with me literally punching you in the face?

Reply #126

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #127
the left needs to accept that freedom means freedom to have fascism

• clete

Reply #128
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/04/17/woman-punched-during-berkeley-protest-speaks-out/
The trying to bash her skull onto some concrete definitely sounds like Nazis

See the pic of the Berkeley officer restraining what looked like a biker with a knife?
To be fair, that guy looked more like someone who is into biker cosplay than an actual biker.

Reply #129
there isn't really much difference between those two things.

Reply #130
You guys really have lost it, holy shit.  Using "they" and referring to a group as "leftists" is propaganda, that's right, you win, nice talking to you. My god.
That was me that mentioned propaganda and you misunderstood my point. I wasn't​ saying that it is propaganda. I was saying that the kind of map-territory error involved in stereotyping is something that you probably covered in a class where you covered propaganda techniques.

The difference between stereotyping and #notall_ arguments is that when someone says women are oppressed by men or whatever they are speaking systemically. Men can both agree and not be personally oppressing women. When someone says men are all rapists, men who are not rapists under the conventional meaning of the word can roll their eyes and tell the other person about the risks of devolving into hyperbole. However, that doesn't mean that the first person doesn't have a point. Just that there are limits to what we want to spend our time thinking about.

Somewhere along the lines there enters the snowflake egos of humanity and how we don't want to be blamed or at least don't want to take responsibility for other people's problems. Which is fair. But also pointless. The implications are systemic, not personal.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• nesb

Reply #131
Political factions can be a bit like a game of would you rather. One where you have to decide between guilt-by-wrongful-association with e.g. Nazis or PETA. Which is why you have so many people claiming to be independents, while always voting the same way.

• tysixtus

Reply #132
and now he's on a lifelong crusade against "SJW's" and anything that might tangentially be related to that because he's a shitlord. he's been "trump is bad, but lefists [=anyone vaguely liberal] are worse" for over a year now.

This is not correct. :colbert:

This thread is old, but what "broke my brain" was realizing that so many people that I actually did admire - both public intellectuals, and even some posters in this circle -- really are as bad as the conservatives they spent a decade railing against.

Some of you guys really, truly have gone off the deep end.  I know that in a place like this, where my opinion is the minority, I am likely to get scoffed at, and that is fine.   But please, please do realize how fucking crazy some of you now sound.  I don't know if it is the election that has unhinged you, or what.  But it's real.

Reply #133
i'll take this vague sweeping accusation into consideration, thnx m8

• tysixtus

Reply #134
i'll take this vague sweeping accusation into consideration, thnx m8

It doesn't matter.  BTW, no joke I saw that Dawn of War III got a 8 rating on Polygon, and thought of you. I might buy it this weekend.

Reply #135
ugh another friend was bugging me to buy it so we could play coop but i can't get another fucking video game right now

Reply #136
Plus, who needs dawn of war when we can witness tysixtus ragequits right here on tr

Reply #137
p sure we only ragequit once (due to some tyranid bullshit)

Reply #138
Well, that is the only tysixtus/rimstalker dawn of warfighter story I remember.

Reply #139
Howard Dean decided to weigh in on Berkeley and Coulter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/855212805506703361

And double down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/855611608814546944

Christ on a cracker.

Reply #140
"Hate speech" is pretty broad

Reply #141

Reply #142
"offensive views"

Reply #143
I think he's just taken a misunderstanding of the whole it's ok to punch a Nazi concept and he's running with it.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #144
And now Bernie weighs in.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58fb7006e4b00fa7de14bc3d

"Obviously Ann Coulter's outrageous ― to my mind, off the wall. But you know, people have a right to give their two cents-worth, give a speech, without fear of violence and intimidation."

Reply #145
shut the fuck up, bernie

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #146
I'll just be glad if/when this dumb trend of inviting famous idiot attention-seeking personalities to say stupid off the wall garbage in front of "yeah. YEAH!" crowds under the guise of :airquote: intellectual discovery :airquote: dies out and we go back to your typical boring guest lecture about a book some meganerd wrote.

• clete

Reply #147
I demand the right to spew dumb bullshit on stage.

Reply #148
Don't we all?

• tysixtus

Reply #149
p sure we only ragequit once (due to some tyranid bullshit)

Yeah. It was complete bullshit.