Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: the russian cyborg army (Read 71 times) previous topic - next topic

the russian cyborg army
Jeeze, this could go in science as easy as politics.
"We are not creating a Terminator": Russia denies risk as Putin's 'robot army' is trained to shoot guns

Vladimir Putin's 'robot army' is being trained to shoot guns from both of its hands, it's emerged.

MirrorOnline reported last December how the android robots called FEDOR - Final Experimental Demonstration Object Research - are being developed for space exploration by Russia.
Now it's emerged that the human looking robots - with a head, two arms and two legs - have been handed guns as part of their training.
A video clip of them in action has already caused a senior government officials to issue a denial that they are creating a real-life "Terminator-style" killer.
FEDOR stands six foot tall, weighs between 106-160 kg depending on extra equipment - and can lift up to 20 kg of cargo.
Its creators claim that teaching them to shoot will help improve their motor skills and decision-making abilities.
Posting a short clip showing the armed robot in action, Russia's deputy PM Dmitryi Rogozin said: "Robot platform F.E.D.O.R. showed shooting skills with two hands.
"We are not creating a Terminator, but artificial intelligence that will be of great practical significance in various fields."

The robot was originally created with rescue missions in mind until military uses began being suggested.

FEDOR is set to travel into space in 2021 - and has been touted as a permanent replacement for cosmonauts currently maintaining the ISS in the long term.

The robot is being developed by Android Technics and the Advanced Research Fund.

They are attempting to teach it a wide variety of basic and advanced skills - from how to use a set of keys and various tools to how to screw in a light bulb and drive a car.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/we-not-creating-terminator-russia-10237755
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Re: the russian cyborg army
Reply #1
"We are not creating a Terminator"

Seems legit.
Truth is out of style

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Re: the russian cyborg army
Reply #2
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.