Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: One space or two? (Read 218 times) previous topic - next topic

• ToThePoint
  • Needs a Life
  • search & destroy

Re: One space or two?
Reply #25
This is more about having the existential courage to overcome one's ontological anxiety of letting go of the two spaces and adapting to the modernized one space.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #26
I use an application called Scrivener for most of my writing these days, especially writing that may wind up in downloadable bookish format.  Fortunately, Scrivener automatically strips double spaces after end-of-sentence periods when you export the file.

It also automatically converts "..." to "..." and multiple dashes into either endashes or emdashes depending on quantity (which Word also does most of the time).

I kinda wonder what other typographical abominations Scrivener automatically fixes.
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:57:59 AM by ravenscape

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #27
This is more about having the existential courage to overcome one's ontological anxiety of letting go of the two spaces and adapting to the modernized one space.
I
will
just
replace
my
two
spaces
with
carriage
returns
after
every
word.
<space>
<space>
So
there.
<space>
<space>

• MikeB

Reply #28
Learned typing in early 1960s, two spaces was specifically taught.  While reading it seems easier to parse sentences with two spaces between.

Reply #29
I use an application called Scrivener for most of my writing these days, especially writing that may wind up in downloadable bookish format.  Fortunately, Scrivener automatically strips double spaces after end-of-sentence periods when you export the file.

It also automatically converts "..." to "..." and multiple dashes into either endashes or emdashes depending on quantity (which Word also does most of the time).

I kinda wonder what other typographical abominations Scrivener automatically fixes.
My niece likes Scrivener. I should get it.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #30
Took a brief typing class in high school, last couple of weeks after my folks and I got back from a 7 month trip to Europe (Dad was an English teacher - pioneer in ESL back in the 60's). One space, reinforced by Dad, he could do 150 WPM on a bad day, but that was on a Selectric. In his classes, he didn't really care, though he advocated one space. He was more interested in the content.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #31
Took a brief typing class in high school, last couple of weeks after my folks and I got back from a 7 month trip to Europe (Dad was an English teacher - pioneer in ESL back in the 60's). One space, reinforced by Dad, he could do 150 WPM on a bad day, but that was on a Selectric. In his classes, he didn't really care, though he advocated one space. He was more interested in the content.
My father and grand-father would bang away at their Selectrics.  It was one of the revolutionary machines that was pre-computer but increased productivity across all of business.  Quite a feat for something that is all but forgotten today.