Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: less funny that it used to be

Topic: New Google Email - Mandatory Google Account? (Read 449 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
New Google Email - Mandatory Google Account?
Just booted up, find that my gmail accounts are fucked and I can't get into them unless I sign up for the new(?) Google Accounts. Sort of like MS's One Account. I don't like it, I don't want it. I want to go back to the old less intrusive gmail. I don't want to store my stuff on Google (nor with MS). I don't want "free storage". My business is my business. Why is it these people don't get that if it isn't broken don't fix it, and especially do not make the "fix" mandatory. Shit, I can't even get into my gmail to download whatever so I won't lose it if I choose to drop gmail. And despite their assurances they won't get hacked, unless that assurance included mandatory sepeku for the entire company and turning all of its assets over to me if they do, I'm not interested. I've a more secure system, hard drives that only get connected to my computer when it's disconnected from the internet (ie-no wifi or internet on).

Anybody else having this issue? Anybody know what to do about it?
Are we there yet?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: New Google Email - Mandatory Google Account?
Reply #1
Mine is working as normal. 
Are you sure you're not being targeted by hackers?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #2
Mine's normal as well.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #3
Mine is working normally, but I've already resigned myself to letting google have access to all my personal shit.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #4
It's still the same, apparently a valid Google gmail splash page inviting one to sign up, no way to get around it. I don't want to just reload my email in case that kills all my email of the last few years.

As for hacking, someone would have to be seriously bored or afflicted to want to hack me. I got nothing, no money, no secrets, nothing. But it's a possibility. I have fairly effective guards against such but they are all fallible.

I'll continue to look online to see if there is anything else.

If I can't find something I sign up, download what I can and close the accounts. And then send Google a nasty snail mail letter. j
Are we there yet?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #5
Yeah, still not sure what the issue is.  I had a gmail account like 10+ years ago, got an android phone when they first came out and I had to sign in with my gmail address, then google started integrating everything, so YouTube, is synced in, then G+ and Google Docs, and Chrome and whatever else. 

If you have avoided using any of those services (other than gmail) then I guess your issue might make sense.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #6
Yeah, still not sure what the issue is.  I had a gmail account like 10+ years ago, got an android phone when they first came out and I had to sign in with my gmail address, then google started integrating everything, so YouTube, is synced in, then G+ and Google Docs, and Chrome and whatever else. 

If you have avoided using any of those services (other than gmail) then I guess your issue might make sense.
Yep, don't like G+, don't like Google Docs and don't like Chrome. But what I really don't like is being forced to have them. You Tube is good, but it's also readily available otherwise.

Liked the original gmail. Don't like it now. I really don't like people and companies that are greedy and think they should control everything. Like MS, but I use AutoCAD and it's only compatible with Windows. Thanks Carly.

Perhaps it's time to move on. As I indicated, I'll probably sign in and download what I can and sign out and delete the accounts. Just have to find an alternative in the meantime.
Are we there yet?

Reply #7
I hear there's a russian company that promises it won't ever peek into your stuff
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8
I hear there's a russian company that promises it won't ever peek into your stuff
I think I'd rather go with TrumpMail.
Are we there yet?

• Fenrir
Reply #9
It is TrumpMail.
It's what plants crave.

• ffejrxx
Reply #10
It is TrumpMail.
but is it more secure than HillaryMail?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #11
It is TrumpMail.
I got a memo from the WH, certified mail, that assured me Comey told Trump the FBI is not investigating that connection.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #12
It is TrumpMail.
but is it more secure than HillaryMail?
BIGLY! It;s the GREATEST!  and it's going to be even GREATER, YUGELY! It'll make email great again.

Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #13
Eventually I succumbed. I logged on and it turns out I was targeted because I had not previously accepted the inevitability of centralization of my data with that of everyone else. Forming a massive "pot of gold" for whomever. I once again declined, at least I hope I did.

So, hopefully no damage, though I now get more unwanted emails and there's been glitches I am not comfortable with.
Are we there yet?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #14
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #15
Eventually I succumbed. I logged on and it turns out I was targeted because I had not previously accepted the inevitability of centralization of my data with that of everyone else. Forming a massive "pot of gold" for whomever. I once again declined, at least I hope I did.

So, hopefully no damage, though I now get more unwanted emails and there's been glitches I am not comfortable with.

The new mandatory Google bar code on my right hand and the recently updated Google Authenticator Implant in my forehead makes checking Gmail and watching high quality YouTube videos super easy! In these days of cybered breaching and electronic docket dropping one can't be too careful, now can one? No more cumbersome logging in with a keyboard, typing passwords that could have been keylogged! Typing to send messages? What is this, the 1880s? Ha! Get with the times, grand pa! Just Joshing with you, buddy! Google has certainly taken a pro-active and dynamic leap with these paradigm shifting solutions. Wouldn't you agree, friend?
  • Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:44:42 PM by Spode

Reply #16
Summary:

RAFH is supicious of what they see as attempts by Google to force them into using more Google services by transferring their legacy gmail credentials to the unified authentication system Google uses for everything these days. They are also worried that by having gmail credentials stored in a database used to authenticate other Google services, their gmail account will be placed at greater risk of being hacked, never mind that RAFH acknowledges that they have nothing to steal and nothing to lose if they were actually hacked.  So, the logical course of action is to continue keeping gmail authentication credentials as long as possible in the legacy system that Google no longer maintains, so they'll feel better about the security of data that has no value to anyone.
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:31:58 AM by Autonemesis