Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: where we can bitch how we like and still discuss whatever we are discussing.

Topic: What Movie have you watched lately? (Read 3312 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What Movie have you watched lately?
Reply #50
I've had an excellent year for cinema so far.

In the cinema I've seen Ghostbusters, Civil War, Hunt for the Wilder People, Star Trek Beyond, Deadpool and Hail Caesar. I've enjoyed everyone of them, though Star Trek still has a way to go. Beyond is an improvement over the last two, but it's still pretty superficial.......and motorbikes. The rest of those I'd be very happy to watch again.

I also had a "terrible movie night". I got three terrible films and had a marathon. Fant4stic, Batman V Superman and London has Fallen. London has Fallen was typical 1980's style action schlock. Fant4stic badly needed a personality transplant and better direction. Those two were just predictably bad. Batman V Superman was the true surprise though. That film was such a clusterfuck I can see it becoming compulsory viewing for arts students so they know what not to do. It was bad on a level I've rarely seen, where it went beyond bad acting, simplistic plots and poor development to become an almost surreal experience. Most enjoyable was watching my partner watching it, as she didn't have the benefit of a synopsis. The level of WTF's was fun to watch.

Well worth watching - perhaps as a surreal comedy and drinking game
Batman v Superman, was that the one called civil war? With the winter soldier?

Nah, batman v superman I got as a cheap dvd hire.
Captain America: Civil war was very good, IMO.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #51
Not a movie, but a miniseries on HBO.
The Night Of

Finished the series, it was excellent.  And depressing.  If you have HBO you need to watch this.  If you don't have HBO you need to figure out how to watch it.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #52
on kodi, watching now

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #53
Was very good.  Not quite as depressing as I feared it might be based on ST's review.

The last 3 seconds of the series were heartwarming.

Reply #54
the eclipse.   streaming on Netflix or amazon prime, I can't remember which.  good because Ciaran hinds is awesome.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #55
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Probably recommended by someone on here.  Thank you..  It had several moments that were stylized which added to the enjoyment.  For a while I was wondering if it was a Cohen brothers movie (It's actually Wes Anderson)

Reply #56
I'm not sure how anyone could mistake a wes Anderson movie for anything other than a wes Anderson movie

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #57
I guess I'm a horrible person because I can't name the directors and producers of all the movies I like. I couldn't name a Wes Anderson movie before I looked him up.

This movie reminded me of The Hudsucker Proxy more than The Royal Tannenbaums.

Reply #58
whoa calm down.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #59
NO YOU CALM DOWN!!!!!

• Monad
Reply #60

Captain America: Civil war was very good, IMO.

Wow - that was nuanced as fuck!

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #61
I watched Eye in the Sky tonight.

I was riveted.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #62

I was riveted.
Added to DVD queue.  It'll probably show up in 8-9 months and I'll be saying WTF is this shit?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #63
I forget when we put it in the queue but it showed up this week.

• Monad
Reply #64
I'm watching the extended versions of the Hobbit - it's actually much better with the extra scenes.

• MikeB
Reply #65

I was riveted.

Now that was a movie worth watching.  Not so much the Marvel related stuff.  I guess it's age related.  :)

Reply #66
king jack, on Netflix.  fairly brutal, not for kids, teen coming of age tale.  very short (like 75-80 minutes)

Reply #67
saw admiral on netflix. Maybe not netflix actually but either netflix or xfinity. About the dutch admiral who defeated everyone in the 1700s. Very good but had some confusing spots.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #68
Equilibrium

So bad it's good.  Matrix meets Fahrenheit 451 with a bit of 1984, Logan's Run and Blade Runner thrown in.

Basically every bad sci-fi trope imaginable (minus space ships or aliens) tons of bad gun play and bad martial arts.

Enjoyable soundtrack, if you have decent sub woofer it'll scare the crap out of your dogs.

I give it 7.5 out of 10.

It's available on Netflix.

Reply #69
equilibrium was fun. 

also ST, watch "the retrieval" on netflix

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #70
"Thorium: The NASA Story" - Interesting documentary.  A bit boring given how exciting the subject is.

You can watch it and other documentaries for free on Top Doucmentaries

I like the James Burke series.
Are we there yet?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #71
Interstellar.  Matt Damon and Matthew McConaughey.  Too many sexy Matts to handle.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #72
I enjoyed Interstellar.

• MikeB
Reply #73
equilibrium was fun. 

also ST, watch "the retrieval" on netflix

Watching this thread for tips, thank you!  Excellent script and acting.

• MikeB
Reply #74
Recalling that "Dead Man" is one of my favorites, Johnny Depp 1996.  The soundtrack is entirely Neil Young on guitar, punctuating the scenes, recording in studio as he watched the unreleased movie play.  Anyone seen this one?