Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Richard Carrier banned from Freethought Blogs (or This Week in Post-Atheism) (Read 367 times) previous topic - next topic

Richard Carrier banned from Freethought Blogs (or This Week in Post-Atheism)
Posted on Pharyngula:

One of our writers, Richard Carrier, has been banned from Skepticon for "his repeated boundary-pushing behavior". This is, obviously, a serious accusation, and we've been investigating further. We now have several first-hand reports of persistent, obnoxious sexual behavior in defiance of specific requests that he cease. We believe his accusers.

Here at Freethoughtblogs, we are sex-positive, but we are also committed to the principle of consensual sexual behavior. We go further, and beyond demanding that there always be consent, we also insist on respect for your partners. No means no, not just because it's held as a dogmatic rule, but because it reflects a sincere appreciation of the autonomy of other people. We cannot tolerate violations of this essential principle.

While Dr Carrier has been a valued contributor to this network, we have to demand support of that principle in actions as well as words. After a review of the evidence so far, Richard Carrier's posting privileges have been suspended, pending further evaluation, and all comments on his blog have been closed.

If you wish to make a testimonial, pro or con, about Dr Carrier, you can send them to me in confidence. We will consider all the evidence before making a final decision on his case.

We also support Skepticon and their commitment to equality and justice. If you do too, donate.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/06/21/richard-carriers-blog/
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:25:42 AM by ravenscape

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Re: Richard Carrier banned from Freethought Blogs (or This Week in Post-Atheism)
Reply #1
Is ice cream involved?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Re: Richard Carrier banned from Freethought Blogs (or This Week in Post-Atheism)
Reply #2
Or elevators and coffee?

Reply #3
Lol
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
What's the Athiesm+ take on this?

Reply #5
I was going to go check and see what they think about it.  Got an sql error.  From google search results, it looks like they've maybe been defunct for a while.

Reply #6
They finally successfully purged themselves of all privilege and reached Oneness, thereafter vanishing into the aether?

Reply #7
Atheism+ has a small-ish reddit presence still.  There's a link to the Skepticon announcement about the ban, but it hasn't generated any comments.

Reply #8
They finally successfully purged themselves of all privilege and reached Oneness, thereafter vanishing into the aether?
purges are how we build a great society.

Reply #9
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/10267#comment-1059519

Damion Reinhardt says
June 16, 2016 at 12:13 pm
As a Bayesian, can you calculate the odds that at least three of the cishetero male social justice allies who have been published at FtB have been faslely accused of sexual impropriety with female students? I've read that such false accusations are exceedingly rare, thus making it reasonable to "listen and believe," as the kids say.

Richard Carrier says
June 16, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Priors are reversed by strong countermanding likelihood ratios. So one has to look at the evidence to answer that question. And the evidence is available in every case here.

Heina G says
June 16, 2016 at 2:39 pm
I wonder if you have any comments on this scholarly investigation into the matter?
A BAYESIAN INVESTIGATION OF ALLEGED SEXUAL MISCONDUCT
Abstract. June 15, 2016 Amy Frank made allegations of "sexually harass-
ment" and "touching" against Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD at an event at Arizona
State University. In this work we examine the truth of these allegations using
the only sound method for investigating historical claims, Bayes theorem. We
conclude the findings will have far-reaching consequences for legal thinking.
The full document:
https://www.docdroid.net/xyItgvz/index-copy.pdf.html

Richard Carrier says
June 16, 2016 at 2:51 pm
You aren't very good at defining hypotheses in your model. You confuse the actual thing that happened (which I agree happened and agreed I should not remain on the bureau for) and the thing she is now claiming happened. Which are not the same thing. The former has a probability of near 100%. Since I've actually stated it happened myself. It's the latter that's false. But your model doesn't test the latter. It only tests the former. Which is a rather useless exercise.

:stare:

(hattip SteveF)

Reply #10
Lol. Atheism, the religion of peace.

Reply #11
The Actual Thing That Happened.

:awgee: