Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRatatouille - A Forum for Food for Thought

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 111750 times) previous topic - next topic

Pingu and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #25
Ok great. Do you also agree that most humans need between 2000 and 3000 calories per day and that it should not all come exclusively from potatoes? "Man shall not live by potato alone" ... ??? Agreed?

Reply #26
Of course you agree. That's an easy one.

Next question.

Reply #27
Do you agree that some combination of "Walter style" gardening plus rotationally grazed animal food products would (a) provide balanced diets and (b) restore - or at least not degrade - ecosystems ....?

Reply #28
Dave, you're talking to yourself again.  (And, no, this isn't you again, this time...)

Reply #29
Do you agree that some combination of "Walter style" gardening plus rotationally grazed animal food products would (a) provide balanced diets and (b) restore - or at least not degrade - ecosystems ....?
Yep. But there is another question you forgot to ask.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #30
Dave, you're talking to yourself again.  (And, no, this isn't you again, this time...)
This is another reason you are an idiot. 

Reply #31
I didn't forget anything.  So now the question is ...

HOW to motivate billions of people to change their eating habits so that they ONLY eat food produced in this way ...

That is, food produced by some combination of "Walter style" gardening plus rotationally grazed animals.

??

Reply #32
To do this, would you agree that we have to get inside people's heads and try to understand the reasons why they eat the foods that they eat?

• Pingu
Reply #33
Yes, you have still forgotten something.  Quite a few things, actually.

Reply #34
Yeah.  Octohatters that need someone to feed them.  And wipe their butts.  Don't forget those folks.  What would the world do without them?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #35

Don't listen to this voice, Bluffy, it's just another one in your head.
Are we there yet?

• Faid
Reply #36
Dave thinks he can use his old-timey salesman tricks to make his case. Just "make them admit to widely accepted premises (as vague as possible), then sneak your methods in as supposedly "obvious" inferrences from those premises, and make them think they've already agreed that they work". Is that what your little handbook says, dave?

If so, I got news for you: It may work with your "gullible rubes", but it won't work here.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #37
Yeah.  Octohatters that need someone to feed them.  And wipe their butts.  Don't forget those folks.  What would the world do without them?
Well we know that in YOUR world they will be "exposed" as "parasites" and promptly removed from your Davetopian society. So you tell us.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• MikeS
Reply #38
Now - in 2016 - I am armed with two valuable things...

1)  simple housing, and
2)  simple food production

And I'm getting pretty good with energy production as well.

So have fun shooting fireworks or whatever and I'll catch up with you later!
This is a new one.  I'll engage Dave.

Please explain this "energy production" that you are "getting pretty good with".

Thanks.

Reply #39
Speaking for myself, and possibly myself alone, I don't want, and never will want, to live in an isolated shack in the woods; to drink loads of goats milk; to have the incredibly monotonous and boring diet that Dave seems to be advocating.

Furthermore  (heresy alert!) I have seen with my own eyes that tillage, IF PROPERLY DONE, need not result in loss of topsoil - at least in the UK agricultural environment round me. Correct maintenance of field drainage,  wide headlands, care of and reinstatement of hedges, care with ploughing (no fine tilth until planting/sowing), use of cover crops and so on.

It works. It seems to me that we have enough varied landscape and land use to maintain (in the UK)  a decent variety of viable and interlocking ecosystems

Reply #40

HOW to motivate billions of people to change their eating habits so that they ONLY eat food produced in this way ...

That is, food produced by some combination of "Walter style" gardening plus rotationally grazed animals.

??
No you dumbass. Whether those are the only ways of practicing sustainable agriculture. Hello Pol Pot.

Reply #41
Now - in 2016 - I am armed with two valuable things...

1)  simple housing, and
2)  simple food production

And I'm getting pretty good with energy production as well.

So have fun shooting fireworks or whatever and I'll catch up with you later!
This is a new one.  I'll engage Dave.

Please explain this "energy production" that you are "getting pretty good with".

Thanks.

He's talking about the wiring for his solar.

Reply #42

??

lol. You're right. It simply failed to occur to you at all.
  • Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:12:33 AM by Testy Calibrate

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #43
Yes and majorities are always right.
They are certainly more often right than lone crackpots bloviating about how they're about to unveil a plan to Save the World.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #44

??
Oh oh oh!
I know!
Call on me!

By showing them the joys of living in a firetrap, shitting in a bucket, and generally reverting to neolithic level of social and cultural interaction.

Oh - and taking snarky, uninformed swipes dripping with soul-crushing bitter envy, at anyone who spends years, decades and entire careers mastering fields of science you know nothing about. That will attract millions of devoted followers all by itself.
  • Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:14:14 AM by VoxRat
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #45

??

lol. You're right. < snip stupid comment >

OK so we are agreed so far. Good.

Reply #46

??

Well, no. We are not agreed so far. Your forgone conclusion is only supported by your unwarranted assumption.

Reply #47
 Now here's another important point...

There are at least two groups of eaters in the world...

1) Rich, and
2) Poor

And I'm talking about people in industrialized countries.

If everyone in the world were rich, then all it would take would be an education process to educate everyone why they should eat differently.  Affordability of "real food" ( which enhances ecosystems instead of destroying them ) would not be a problem.

But everyone's not rich. In fact there are a lot more poor to lower middle-class people than there are rich people.

So my focus in how to change people's eating habits is on this group.

Follow?

Reply #48

??

Well, no. We are not agreed so far. Your forgone conclusion is only supported by your unwarranted assumption.
Well FFS  give me the courtesy of at least identifying which part of my statements you disagree with. And why.

Reply #49
Now here's another important point...

There are at least two groups of eaters in the world...

1) Rich, and
2) Poor

And I'm talking about people in industrialized countries.

If everyone in the world were rich, then all it would take would be an education process to educate everyone why they should eat differently.  Affordability of "real food" ( which enhances ecosystems instead of destroying them ) would not be a problem.

But everyone's not rich. In fact there are a lot more poor to lower middle-class people than there are rich people.

So my focus in how to change people's eating habits is on this group.

Follow?
I always thought the two types of people are those who divide people into types and those who don't.