Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: the handful of atheists you can just about tolerate

Topic: Status of the original TR forum and database (Read 2366 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Status of the original TR forum and database
The database has been snatched from the gates of hell and we have a working post table again.

Right now, I've put the whole forum in maintenance mode, which means no one but admins can really access it (and they better be very, very careful :stare: )

Over the next couple days, I'm going to make the entire forum read-only.  After that, you'll be able to see the forum and all the threads again.

I can't tell you guys how relieved I am tonight!

:happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:

Huge thanks to osmanthus and the crew of database ninjas he was able to procure for us.  Without their help, the database was crashed beyond recovery.

Also, thanks to all of you for being patient and supportive while I alternated between :hair: and  :stopper:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Status of the original TR forum and database
Reply #1
Fantastic, raven and os and crew. :)

You two deserve some sort of award, really, or at least huge props for determination.

Thanks.

• Monad
Reply #2
Brilliant thanks

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3
I did bugger all. I just happened to know people who knew databases.
Truth is out of style

Reply #4
About bloody time. Don't be so slow about these things in future.

oh and

:911:

• Pingu
Reply #5
Thanks so much to all!

This is brilliant.

Also no more thread necromancy  :cheer:

• MikeS
Reply #6
Great work.  I gave up file and disk recovery when MS converted from DOS 3.0 to Windows 95.

• Pingu
Reply #7
Guys, you did bork the secret staff forum though didn't you?  Didn't you?

• Faid
Reply #8
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #9
The original forum is back online.  You can browse and read it here at the original url: http://talkrational.org.

For now, I've left the little send-email icon active.  If you want to copy the text of a post, you can click that icon.  It will open a PM edit page where you can copy the post with all its original formatting, and then paste it in a thread on this forum.  Some of the bbcodes probably won't translate, but it will give you a good start on transferring a post from the old forum to this one.

Let me know in this thread if you run into any unexpected problems on the old TR forum.

Reply #10
The original forum is back online.  You can browse and read it here at the original url: http://talkrational.org.

For now, I've left the little send-email icon active.  If you want to copy the text of a post, you can click that icon.  It will open a PM edit page where you can copy the post with all its original formatting, and then paste it in a thread on this forum.  Some of the bbcodes probably won't translate, but it will give you a good start on transferring a post from the old forum to this one.

Let me know in this thread if you run into any unexpected problems on the old TR forum.
Thanks for working on this raven!

• MikeS
Reply #11

HURRAH!!!  BANZAI!!!

• Pingu
Reply #12

Excellent idea! 

• MikeS
Reply #13
Stupid Question:  Have you backed up the recently recovered database yet?  :D

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #14
I'VE BACKED UP ALL THE THINGS!

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #15
The TR database backup is on a server buried in a cave in deepest outer Mongolia. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqPiXXYRSg

Guarded by this guy:

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #16
I like the spotty horse. He seems to be the brains of the outfit.
Truth is out of style

Reply #17
all of my incriminating evidence is gone :(
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Reply #18
so what was the underlying problem?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #19
I'm not sure what you mean by "underlying problem"?

The database crashed in a way that Arvixe was unable to repair*.  Some gurus that osmanthus knows were able to export all the data from the crashed table.  I was eventually able to repair/import the table.  (This last step took longer than it should have because I had to learn some shit and had to overcome my terror of breaking it even worse than before).

*they wasted a whole lot of their and my time before admitting this, and let the last good backup of the site be overwritten with the crashed data.

Reply #20
A big thank you to all involved!

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #21
I was eventually able to repair/import the table.
Well, strictly speaking, Illori repaired it for us, then handed it over so you could import it.
Truth is out of style

Reply #22
I did bugger all. I just happened to know people who knew databases.
Close enough. Like the classic "50 cents to turn the screw, 99.50 dollars to know which screw."

• MikeB
Reply #23
Thanks everybody for continuing the effort, great achievement after weeks, or close to a few months, of work.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #24
Thank you, raven and os!  :cheer: