Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TR:"Is it worth joining?" "Depends.  do you want to be befriended, pan-handled, insulted by diminutive lawyers, adopted as a surrogate parent, hit upon by latino fascists, blown into the water faster than the wind, embraced by christian refugees, rejected by lesbian separatists, recruited by messianic zionists, and killed in cold blood by the first person who befriended you?  then yes ..."

Topic: Let's start with these questions (Read 1214 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Let's start with these questions
  • What forums and categories do we really need?  I set up several, but not all the forums TR currently has.
  • Whether we wind up with the full TR database or not, are there other features or functionality we mostly don't use or need?
  • What functionality is missing?  This is a pure vanilla setup for now.  I'll install some of the addons I think are particularly useful over the next few days as time permits.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Re: Let's start with these questions
Reply #1
re which forums:  I like having an Introductions forum.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2
I do too.  not sure why I didn't add it.  I will.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #3
Should we have a Heap too?  A lot of tradition behind that.

For me, having one big Science forum is fine.  But I know many of the old Life Science regulars (assuming they show up) prefer to have some sort of two-tier system.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #4
I think we'll probably need the ASS forum, but I don't think there's that strong an interest in separating "life" sciences and "physical" sciences.

What about the history forum?  I personally have a great fondness for history, anthropology and paleoanthropology topics but I don't know if it makes sense any more.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #5
I'd vote yes for a history (etc) forum.

I don't see any harm in having a few extra forums that happen to be low-traffic.  Better than having an interesting thread idea with nowhere to put it.

Math threads can fit quite nicely in either philosophy or science, depending on mood.

Reply #6
Reporting for doody.

• Pingu
Reply #7
I think it would be comforting to see the old forums. I liked seeing them on the other test forum.

With their cute little subtitles and all.  After all, we don't have much continuity, it's all we've got.

• Pingu
Reply #8
Should we have a Heap too?  A lot of tradition behind that.

For me, having one big Science forum is fine.  But I know many of the old Life Science regulars (assuming they show up) prefer to have some sort of two-tier system.

Although come to think of it, combining the science forums would be good.  I never liked that split.  Life sciences are just as physical as physical sciences.  They are just more complicated.

• Pingu
Reply #9
I did think it was a bit amazing how people just settled down in the other test forum like it was old TR.  I'd keep it mostly the same until people want to change it.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #10
That's a good point, particularly regarding the forums we mostly posted in.

I don't want to reproduce that tangled mess in the Town Hall, though.  Most of that structure was obsolescent before the crash.  Even more so now.  The processes that drove those forum divisions were vbulletin forum management processes.  The processes will be different on Elkarte.  There's no reason to start with that huge pile of useless empty forums.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #11
Agreed.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #12
I think news & politics should be separated.

And I think the cutesy drug reference acronyms were kinda dumb because I'm not in high school anymore..  OTOH, ASS was a good acronym for that forum.

• MSG
Reply #13
I don't really think you can separate news and politics tbh
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #14
Why not? Lots of news has nothing to do with politics.

Although there may not be any actual advantage in trying to separate them.
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #15
Leave it at News and Politics and it will probably sort itself.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #16
I just noticed there's no multiquote option.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #17
Was there multiquote on the other forum?  If there was, I may have missed the configuration this morning.  Or I may have installed an add- on at old zombieland.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #18
No, there wasn't not that I could find. I figured it could wait, under the circumstances.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #19
I just noticed there's no multiquote option.
Was there multiquote on the other forum?  If there was, I may have missed the configuration this morning.  Or I may have installed an add- on at old zombieland.

oh duh.  I was pretty sure it's there and it is.  Hit the quote button on the posts you want to quote.  They'll get added sequentially to the quick reply box.

multiquote across pages may not work, though.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #20
Yeah multi-quote across pages is a bit messy. You basically need to have both pages open, and copy/paste the quote from one to your final reply.
Truth is out of style

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #21
I've noticed borealis 'liking' posts but I can't seem to 'like' them myself?  Not saying we need to have that (perhaps not the TR way) but it sticks out

edit nvm the buttons are there now.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #22
TBH I'm not a great fan of the likes, because they don't really tell you much. There's no indication of why someone liked it, or if they liked some bits but not others, and no suggestions as to what you can do with all these likes anyway. Can you redeem them for food stamps or something?
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #23
the mr people are fond of our yays
braying among the ruins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #24
Yes, we are, but we also love our comments, which were also a TR feature. I think the MR 'likes' are mostly expressions of amusement or approval, and wouldn't be as fun without the option of commenting.