Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: NFL 2016 - Are ya ready fer some football? (Read 647 times) previous topic - next topic

• Old Dan

NFL 2016 - Are ya ready fer some football?
Well yall, talk about the 2016 NFL season done already started 'round some parts.

This here's an article by NFL Media Analyst Elliot Harrison. Now, I dunno this feller or how accurate his predictions are, but he gives an opinion on each of the "All 32" NFL football teams.

NFL bold predictions: Going out on a limb with each NFC team

Mighty interestin read, fer the football fans, anyways.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Re: NFL 2016 - Are ya ready fer some football?
Reply #1
I predict The Cleveland Browns will, once again, not make the playoffs.

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #2
I predict people will find something to bitch and moan about with the Patriots.

• Old Dan

Reply #3
FiveThirtyEight: 2016 NFL Predictions
For the regular season and playoffs, updated after every game

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nfl-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

I predict people will find something to bitch and moan about with the Patriots.

They're already #1, kson, they got the highest chance to win the Super Bowl (22%).

• nesb

Reply #4
Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford enjoys his most efficient season ... without Megatron.

It's July, and we're still lamenting Calvin Johnson's decision to hang 'em up. But did anyone ever think Stafford might be more efficient now? Stafford himself implied that he would need to apply himself more, study more, with Johnson not in the mix. While it should be slightly disturbing for Lions fans that their quarterback -- a seven-year veteran -- might have been avoiding cracking the books until now, it does make sense that Stafford will have to read the whole field and go through his progressions. One other note on this: Johnson averaged 13.8 yards per catch last season, nearly 2.5 yards under his career average entering 2015. It was time for the offense to have a slightly different focus.

As great as Calvin was, he was a legacy of Millen, and his obsession with WRs. Millen was poison, and Calvin was a diamond in the rough, but I'm honestly a bit glad the Lions are completely out of that shadow now.
  • Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:19:52 AM by nesb

• nesb

Reply #5

Pretty much describes the Lions season, this year.

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
When did the Lions sign Bart?

Reply #7
so does this mean I need to pretend to care about the stillers til january?

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #8
nope

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #9
Green Bay, at 4-6 in middle November, said they had to win out to have a chance for a playoff spot.

sure enough, with help from an anemic Detroit and an imploding Vikings crew, the Packers win out for 10-6 and also get the Norris Division as an extra prize.

Wild Card Weekend:
NFC
NY Giants at Green Bay Packers:  This is a tough game to call since the Giants always find some way to keep the games close and win.  I expect a couple deep pass burns on the Packers with their injured secondary.  But a constant rush on Eli could keep the Giants grounded and give A-Rog the chance to pull away for the victory.
    I predict 31-21 Packers win.

Detroit Lions at Seattle Seahawks:  Seattle has been somewhat mediocre all year, but has the team and home field to trounce the Lions.  With no running game and an inconsistent Stafford down the stretch in December the Lions only chance is a field goal kick-off; but Russell Wilson is too good for that outcome.
   Seattle 35-16 over the Lions

AFC
Miami Dolphins at Pittsburgh Steelers:  The Dolphins win streak is tempered by their Tannahill's injury.  The difference has been that Miami has continued winning down the stretch without him.  But put against Pittsburgh at home is a steep hill to climb; Pittsburgh's game is to wear you down and have enough time for Rothlesburger to score a few times.  The only chance I see for Miami is to score 21 points fast and hold off the plodding Pittsburgh offence; but that's not going to happen on a cold January day in western Pennsylvania.
    Pittsburgh 24-17 over Miami

Oakland Raiders at Houston Texans:  The Raiders are in a free-fall.  Since losing Carr at QB and McGloin getting popped last game their "rest-of-the-team" hasn't got it done.  They could have closed out the division, 1st round bye and home field advantage but blew it.  Unlike Miami they have lost, and continued to lose, after Carr was sidelined.  The Raiders ONE saving grace is that they play against a Texan team that snuck into the playoffs with a fairly weak last part of the season, trading leads with Tennessee through December until finally clinching in Week 16.  The Raiders will step up to defend their "honor" finally and make it to week 2.
   Raiders 17-13 over Texans

Division Championship peek:
NFC
Dallas Cowboys:  Tough team all around without much injury so they have depth.  Home field has not been as important for this team compared to others.  Giants or Seattle could be trouble for them.

Atlanta Falcons:  Ryan is western gunslinger looking for a shoot-out.  If you can quiet Ryan for a quarter or more you win.  Could be final game in the Georgia Dome so some home field advantage (it's noisy too).  Packers, Cowboys and Seahawks are equals.

AFC
New England Patriots:  If they have a weakness it's somewhere in their receiving corp.  Otherwise watch them march to the Superbowl.

Kansas City Chiefs:  Stepped up in December to win the AFC West from Oakland and humble Denver in the process.  Tough team all around with limited injuries.  They're the only team to challenge New England this year from the AFC.

Reply #10
Should I start caring about the Stillers now?

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11
Yes, yes you should.

3 out of 4, with Oakland falling flat.  All the other games were blowouts.  As opposed to last year, where all the visiting Wild Card Teams won, all the home teams won this year.

Conference Champion Weekend

NFC
Seattle at Atlanta
Atlanta with the Ryan Express (remember that war movie) and the ability to Jones an opponent is the highest scoring offence in the league.  They need to be since their defense is near last and is porous to both the run and pass.  Seattle has a solid run/pass offence with an average defense.  This game will come down to some intangibles like home field advantage (last game in the Georgia Dome) and preparation (Seattle is usually ready no matter where they play).  But I think the Atlanta team has the edge here, they earned their bye week and used it effectively (another intangible).
     Atlanta 27-24 over Seattle

Green Bay at Dallas
This should be the NFC conference game and not a division game.  Both teams are streaking wins in the season, with only Dallas falling short with the Giants (whom Green Bay just humiliated Sunday night).  Dallas is healthier, and now has Romo as backup while still starting Prescott.  There's not much that Dallas can do to stop the Roger's Rumble except to stop the run; the Green Bay front line is too good over time with protection with 3 of 5 Offensive Line players tops in their position over the entire NFL.  And Dallas can't rely upon home field either, their home record at their new stadium is no better (or might be worse) than their road record.  So I have to go with my flawed gut, but counter-intuitive.  I'm a Green Bay fan but every time I root for them they fall short.  So I'm picking Dallas just on the reverse psychology chance that Green Bay pips them at the buzzer.
     Dallas 35-31 over Green Bay

AFC
Pittsburgh at Kansas City
Two very good teams with a lot to say on each side of the ball.  Pittsburghs take-down of Miami showed some new weapons, like the "big play" touchdowns, that Pittsburgh has been missing (except on special teams) all year.  Meanwhile Kansas City has had to fight and scrap and win the AFC West, securing the title only in the last week as the Raiders faded.  I think it's this dynamic compared to the past where a Shottenheimer KC would go 13-3 and win the west 3 weeks before the playoffs and then lose the first game.  KC is hungry again, and they are warmed up ready to play.
     KC 24-17 over Pittsburgh

Houston at New England
Ostweiller is not a Super Bowl quarterback.  There, I said it so they can prove me wrong.  I'm not wrong this year.
     Brady 28-14 over Houston.

Reply #12
go stillers

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13
Well my plan worked.  Voting against Green Bay saved the day for me, and I counter-predicted correct that Dallas would be pipped at the buzzer.  2 of 4 for the weeks games (but 3 of 4 if you count my counter-voting result :)).

NFC Championship Game

Green Bay at Atlanta
Well, both teams are pass oriented with fair to good running games.  Although both teams don't need a run game to be successful.  On the other side of the ball, Green Bay has a better pass rush while Atlanta probably has a better secondary (but that's not saying much).  The Georgia Dome gets a final last game which gives a noisy crowd advantage to Atlanta.  Green Bay lost by one point in October to Atlanta just prior to their 6 game winning streak; but are 15-13 overall and 2-1 in playoffs with the last playoff win by Green Bay played in Atlanta in 2011.  Injuries to Green Bay secondary and wide receivers might be resolved by game day.  I think this one comes down to either 1) who has the ball last or 2) If Ryan or Rogers have a better day.  Since jinx's don't work twice I'm choosing the "correct" outcome ...
     Green Bay 28-24 over Atlanta

Pittsburgh at New England
Pittsburgh again proved that you can win on almost any type of scenario possible.  This time setting a NFL playoff record of 6 field goals.  That means the Pittsburgh defense stepped up all game and held off the powerful offence of KC.  New England won in a more traditional manner by out performing the Texans for four quarters.  It's still surprising that NFL teams only show up for two or three quarters and then just disappear.  Both Pittsburgh and New England are four quarter teams with grudging defense (edge to Pittsburgh) and good offense (big edge to New England).  Pittsburgh is 14-11 with New England but only 5-11 in the last 20 years; if you include only the Roethlisburger - Brady era since 2005 season then Pittsburgh is 2-6.  Playoffs they are 1-3 with the last meeting (a loss) in 2005.  I've found that voting against Brady and New England is not smart, and with Pittsburgh not a full "powerhouse" team like they were in their 2008 Superbowl win (and their 2010 loss to Green Bay too).
     New England 31-21 over Pittsburgh

Reply #14
I think you mean to say "fuck the pats"

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15
I think you mean to say "fuck the pats"
I give the pats grudging respect.  Unlike Dallas.

Reply #16
weird way to say "fuck the pats"

• Old Dan

Reply #17
Welp, yall, since both of my teams lost yesterday, I reckon I'm an Atlanta Falcons fan now.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #18
Yeah, I'm bummed about the Packers of course.

Anyway ...

Superbowl
Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots
I don't know what the betting line is but I bet its Pats by up to 7 points.  However, if Ryan played like the Conf Champ game then watch out.  Also, the Atlanta defense stepped up and harried Rodgers all game; they need to do the same with Brady and they have a chance to win.  New England secondary isn't as porous as Green Bay so Ryan will have to work a bit harder.
Offence:  Edge to Atlanta here with how they've played for the past 8+ weeks.
Defense:  New England
Special Teams:  Edge to New England

New England will win their (5th??) Superbowl 27-24 over Atlanta.

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
Personal aside: my daughter works for the mint that does the coin for the Super Bowl flip.  She designed the commemorative items for the New England Patriots AFC Championship.

http://www.highlandmint.com/new-england-patriots-2016-afc-champions-bronze-coin-photo-mint.aspx

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #20
eta: as a New England fan I'd like to thank the Detroit Lions for giving us Van Noy.

Reply #21
just remember: fuck the pats

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #22
New England Patriots: Making the Super Bowl Great Again

Reply #23
Tom Brady - literally Trump

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #24
Butt hurt Steeler fan noted.
Look, JUST BECAUSE 18 players came down with the flu;  AND the hotel they were staying at had a sprinkler alarm the early morning of the game doesn't mean the New England team is in any way cheaters.   ::)